Windows 7 Windows Updates failed to install

qaisarmushtaq

Hi,

I have HP ProBook 4530s with Windows Home Premium 64bit. I just check the history of installed updated and I m shocked to see that windows updates are not being installed from last 6 months.

Please tell me what should i do..?

Are there other symptoms or things that do not work correctly or properly? Is the machine slow? Cus, I'm, already, thinking there's something more amiss here, than just your initial mention.

Lemme know, thanks

Regards,
Drew

One of the fixit solutions Drew suggested may have included been the Windows Update Readiness Tool. Do you remember running that and did it generate a CheckSur.log (Windows\logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log)?

If you did not, check the link below to download and run it. That is usually the first place to start. Post the Results of the CheckSur.log if it shows any problems.

Download: System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [August 2011] - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

After that, if the problems are not noted, attaching a copy of the WindowsUpdate.log might give us an insight. The log is located in the Windows directory and you can copy the last four or five days (or more), and paste into a text file and attach. If you have both logs, you can zip them both up, or just one, and attach using the paperclip on the advanced reply page. You may have to copy the log to the desktop to work on it.

I was thinking about not having any updates for so long and was wondering if you had checked the services dialog to see if the WindowsUPdate service is running.

In Task Manager, you can check for wuauserv on the services page, or in Services.msc, look for WindowsUpdate.

I will assume you have shut you system all the way down in the last couple of months?

I was thinking about not having any updates for so long and was wondering if you had checked the services dialog to see if the WindowsUPdate service is running.

In Task Manager, you can check for wuauserv on the services page, or in Services.msc, look for WindowsUpdate.

I will assume you have shut you system all the way down in the last couple of months?

It downloads the updates but failed to install. I check i the Task Manager wuauserv service is running..

One of the fixit solutions Drew suggested may have included been the Windows Update Readiness Tool. Do you remember running that and did it generate a CheckSur.log (Windows\logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log)?

If you did not, check the link below to download and run it. That is usually the first place to start. Post the Results of the CheckSur.log if it shows any problems.

Download: System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [August 2011] - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

After that, if the problems are not noted, attaching a copy of the WindowsUpdate.log might give us an insight. The log is located in the Windows directory and you can copy the last four or five days (or more), and paste into a text file and attach. If you have both logs, you can zip them both up, or just one, and attach using the paperclip on the advanced reply page. You may have to copy the log to the desktop to work on it.

Yes i check there is no CheckSur.log in the specified folder. I follow the URL that you recommend me to download the System Update Readiness Tool .
Downloading is in progress....

Here is the current WindowsUpdate.log I found in my system. Please find the attachment file
View attachment WindowsUpdate.zip

There is always a possibility if you are running an Anti-Virus, it might be interfering. Some even scan the system during restarts for things like rootkits and give the installer problems. Symptoms might be the installs take a very long time and ends up showing quite a few failures in the Windows update history.

Other than that, all I can suggest is to post the WindowsUpdate.log.

There is always a possibility if you are running an Anti-Virus, it might be interfering. Some even scan the system during restarts for things like rootkits and give the installer problems. Symptoms might be the installs take a very long time and ends up showing quite a few failures in the Windows update history.

yes i am using McAfee anti virus. What you suggest me that i disable the anti-virus during the installation. I have already post the WindowsUpdate.log please see my previous post.

Your log shows several errors. The general drift is it cannot connect to the server. There was also one at the beginning concerning a corrupted file. The first error in the log I see is a cancelled Download for KB2564958 (Security Update for Windows 7 x64) with the 80070570 error.

I will give you a couple of links based on some of the error messages. You can try them to see if it helps, but yes, I do suggest you disable the anti-virus. If you can disable the boot portion, I would do that also. If you want to try updates in between these steps, they may start working at some point. If you show the first KB as installed, you could try uninstalling it. If it is not installed you might try doing a manual download and install.

You may want to try running a chkdsk to check your drive for corruption. Possibly even a System Files Check (SFC /scannow) from an administrative command prompt.

If none of the links correct the problem, and you have a good internet connection, I will suggest you rename or delete the SoftwareDistribution folder in the C:\Windows directory.

ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT

80072ee7
The server name could not be resolved.

8024001F
no network connection is available to finish the operation

8024402c
Winhttp SendRequest/ReceiveResponse failed with 0x2ee7 error. Either the proxy server or target server name can not be resolved. Corresponding to ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. Stop/Restart service or reboot the machine if you see this error frequently.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

Windows Update error 80072efe or 80072f76

EDIT: It also appears Windows Update is trying to download a driver for your Realtek NIC. You might check to see if a newer driver is available.

Last edited:

My problem has been solved by disabling the anti-virus. Thanks to all of you for helping me to resolve this issue

Glad you got it working.

Could you advise of the version of McAfee you were running and if you know what the latest update was? I would like to test it to see what might be going on...

Edit: I did find the following reference, you might check and see if your version has the options mentioned in the answer.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/27294?start=0&tstart=0

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom