Windows 7 windows wont start(believe its a corrupted hardrive)

cbwhat

my computer was working competly fine and i went to restart it and it wouldnt go anywhere after the boot scree just a read disk error. i restored my bios settings to default and still no luck. i then put in a windows 7 disk and went to repairs and did a start up repair got a harddrive error 0x0. when i go to look in my computer when i click browse i see my other hard drive, but my main one is still there but and no info. when i click on it, it asks if i want to format it. is there anyway of fixing this, or to at least grab my stuff of it. there is a lot i mean a lot of important files i can not lose

Last edited:
You could try installing an op sys to your other drive, set it as the boot drive then see if Zero Assumption Recovery can get you anything back from the suspect drive - trial download here (you'll have to buy it if you find it can help):

Download critical data recovery software - computer data recovery with ZAR.

Then read up on good backup practices!
when i try to install windows 7 on my 2nd hard drive i get that the selected disk is of the GPT partition style and contains one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation

I think your first priority is to grab any data that is important to you, off the drive (If possible!). Download and burn a live cd from the web and run it. I would reccomend Knoppix

KNOPPIX - Live Linux Filesystem On CD

I use this for troubleshooting computers with similar problems to yours. Even if you are not familiar with Linux, you will find it easy to use.

okay what do i do after im running knoppix, is there a program or a way to gather my data off my hard drive?
I think your first priority is to grab any data that is important to you, off the drive (If possible!). Download and burn a live cd from the web and run it. I would reccomend Knoppix

KNOPPIX - Live Linux Filesystem On CD

I use this for troubleshooting computers with similar problems to yours. Even if you are not familiar with Linux, you will find it easy to use.

Provided the hard disk is working, at least to read, then you will be able to access it in Knoppix and transfer all the files you need to a working hard disk, external, perhaps, or to any other media (USBs etc. If you have two cd burners installed, then you can copy the data over to an empty CD.
There are also an increasing number of websites which offer backup facilities. Example:
Online Backup, Data Backup & Remote Backup Solutions | Mozy

when i put the windows 7 disk in i see my c drive still there but not displaying the storage size or data and when clicked on asked to be formated. will i se this with knoppix and still be ableto restore my data?
Provided the hard disk is working, at least to read, then you will be able to access it in Knoppix and transfer all the files you need to a working hard disk, external, perhaps, or to any other media (USBs etc. If you have two cd burners installed, then you can copy the data over to an empty CD.
There are also an increasing number of websites which offer backup facilities. Example:
Online Backup, Data Backup & Remote Backup Solutions | Mozy

I cannot offer any opinion on that. You will have to try it and see. Linux is working from a lower level than windows, almost at DOS, so the chances are good.

There are some new technologies being placed in operation that behave differently form what most of us are used to. Because of that, I have to ask where did the GPT drive come from. Are you or were you using a UEFI enabled system?

If you do not know what UEFI is, there may be an option in your system bios for how to boot your system. You may have an option of Bios or UEFI. If you do have that option, you migh try selecting the other option to test.

the UEFI is off but i still get a disk read disk error when enabling it
There are some new technologies being placed in operation that behave differently form what most of us are used to. Because of that, I have to ask where did the GPT drive come from. Are you or were you using a UEFI enabled system?

If you do not know what UEFI is, there may be an option in your system bios for how to boot your system. You may have an option of Bios or UEFI. If you do have that option, you migh try selecting the other option to test.

UEFI should only be involved if your system was set up using it. Otherwise leave it off. I just wanted to check since you stated you had an GPT formatted drive, which UEFI installs must use. Since you cannot gain any information from the drive, all I might suggest, as did earlier posts, is to look at it from outside of Windows (offline).

You can download and burn and boot to G-Parted to check your drive, if that has not been suggested. Partition Wizard is another one if you use the Home version to boot. If you decide to try and recover the drive/partition, you may loose data, but you have to make that decision.

Back