Windows XP Windows XP PRO SP3 sees lan but cannot connect to Internet

NKVD

Hello to everyone,

I have an old installation of Windows XP Professional SP3 from November of 2008 and for about 5 years I couldn't boot to Windows because the system was always rebooting due to hardware error and BSOD. Last week I've managed to fix it by using the five files DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM on the "System Volume Information" folder from a previous system restore point!

Everything works normal but I cannot connect to Internet, OS sees lan, the other computers, router, local network printer, but cannot connects to Internet.

I've tried everything, sfc /scannow, reset winsock, DHCP etc, with no luck...

Does anyone has a solution? OS had all the Microsoft updates installed until December 2012.

When I tried to repair the installation I couldn't, because Windows setup had no Repair selection. Anyone has also a solution for that?

I know that is has to do with the type of Windows product license. It was a Windows XP Professional CD since it's official release to which I slipstreamed consecutively SP1 (2002) SP2 (2004), SP3 (2008).

Thank you.

Last edited:
Check the ipconfig /all, psot it here if you're unsure of anything in it.

It seems with no issues and the ipconfig /all.

Maybe it's lan drivers issue. I forgot to mention that since the installation of the os I was using WiFi usb cards and later a pci wifi card to connect to internet. Never used the ethernet card.

So it's showing a compatible valid IP address for the device and the IP address of the router as a valid default gateway?

Yes everything seems that having the appropriate value (192.168.1.1) for the gateway and etc.

You could try resetting the connection: remove from the list of installed devices the LAN adapter, reboot and Windows will re-install it with new and default parameters. You never know...

Hello to everyone,

I have an old installation of Windows XP Professional SP3 ...

Even if you manage to fix the problem(s) temporarily, windows XP is not a long term solution because it is not supported by Microsoft anymore (no more updates) which will cause all kinds of problems.
Best solution is to upgrade to Windows 10.

No I cannot ping an external IP address!

I've reseted the connection, made winsock, ip reset and everything, but still the problem persists.

It's not my primary operating system, I want it only for vintage gaming that runs better on Windows 9x/Me/XP. I've just want to update it to the latest Windows updates for the future.

My primary operating system is Windows 7x64 SP1, I disagree for Windows 10 upgrade. Windows 7 is still superior...

Can you show us the ipconfig /all listing?
Is your TCP/IP address set to 'assigned automaticly by DHCP'?
Try resetting your modem/router: switch off every connected to your network. Then switch on the modem first followed by every thing else. This resets the routing table in the modem/router and makes sure that it contains no faults.

It may be the driver.
PC can see router and other computers on network. The same system setup works without issues using the Windows 7 installation.

Back