Windows 7 wired pc won't connect with router

Seri Duta

Hi, I know this is a popular topic but I am yet to find a thread that mirrors my experience.
I'm running W7 32 bit on a desktop wired pc. I had a Lynksys wrtg54 working on my old pc with XP. I put together a new pc with W7 home premium, but could not get the router to connect with the pc. As the router was old, I replaced it with a Net Gear WNDR3700. Same problem. I now see that the problem must be with W7. I'm wondering if there is an issue with IP address assignment however I'm not competent enough to know this. I have read the troubleshooting documents, restored factory defaults. Still can't find a solution. I have tried the W7 wizard for network setup but to no avail. My internet connection is fine, its just the router(s) won't connect. My network adapter is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and IVp6 is disconnected. I'm sure the solution is straightforward but I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome

Are you using any kind of encryption? Are you assigning ip manually? does the same thing happen when booting in safe mode (F8) with networking?

Ken J

My internet connection is fine, its just the router(s) won't connect.
A bit confusing...your router won't connect to what.
Perhaps, and I'm only guessing because I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but if you are using PPPoE, say from ATT, then you will need to put the username and password into the WAN side of the router where you select the connection type (PPPoE).

Hi Ken and many thanks,

No, I'm not using any encryption and IP assignment is set to auto. I haven't tried booting in safe mode as I'm not sure what that would do?? When I connect the router to the modem and the PC, there is no internet access via the router nor can W7 connect with the router. So no possibility to configure the router nor to access the set-up via a browser page. I have tried the set-up disk so far as thats the only way I can try.

Hi,

The router won't connect to my PC. The PC is fine connected directly to the modem, however in installing the router, I am unable to connect to the internet nor configure the router as I have no connection from the PC to the router.

OK, if I'm understanding correctly you have a wired connection from your pc to the router and are unable to communicate with the router, through it's web interface. Are you able to determine if you have any link status by using the available lights on the router, your router documentation should explain what lights should indicate what state or status.
When connected to the router
Open command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
post back the results IP address, Default gateway, and DNS server(s) perhaps we can figure something out from that information.

Last edited:
That's correct, no communication/connection. The router unit lights also show no connection. router prob..jpg

As I mentioned initially, my Linksys router had the same issue. I have just borrowed a laptop, (W7 Home Premium 64bit) and also I cannot get a connection to the router. I have changed ethernet cables. No result. I am wondering, now that 2 routers and 2 computers cannot connect, the final piece of hardware is the modem. This is beyond my experience but do you think there is some sort of issue with it? Here is the command prompt ipconfig/all for my pc direct to modem (no router)Link Removed due to 404 Error

Connect your pc to the new NetGear Router with the ethernet provided with the router, and try this
type ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter
select then right click your wired adapter (local area connection) and choose properties
scroll as necessary and uncheck the box next to Internet Protocol Version 6
select / highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and click the properties button
make sure that both
Obtain an IP address automatically and
Obtain DNS server address automatically
are both selected and click OK
now select the Configure button near the top of your Local Area Connections properties dialog box
In the resultant dialog box select the Advanced tab at the top
look for a reference regarding Speed and Duplex (may say something like Link Speed)
select that and in the right column choose the drop down in the value box and choose 100 half
look for something called Network Address (may also say physical address)
if the Value Box says not present
change it to the other radio button and copy and paste this into the value box
90E6BA0E4DD3
OK your way back out of there and reboot
Keep us posted.

As I mentioned initially, my Linksys router had the same issue. I have just borrowed a laptop, (W7 Home Premium 64bit) and also I cannot get a connection to the router. I have changed ethernet cables. No result. I am wondering, now that 2 routers and 2 computers cannot connect, the final piece of hardware is the modem. This is beyond my experience but do you think there is some sort of issue with it? Here is the command prompt ipconfig/all for my pc direct to modem (no router)Link Removed due to 404 Error

I dislike to interfere in your discussion with Trouble, since i believe you are in good hands there. But the bolded piece of your last remark makes me wonder. Do i understand correct you have a modem, seperate router and then a PC? And if so, are you 100% sure your modem is not set as a DHCP server and your router is in range of the modem then? And if that is all true, did you trie to disable the DHCP funtion of the modem and let ONLY the router do this for your private network?
Just wondering, If i'm wrong here be so kind to skip this post.

Mast:
First of all, since I see that you are relatively new to the forums, let me please take this opportunity to welcome you.
Do not be concerned with making comments, suggestions and other offers of help as this is the sole purpose of this forum existing and as long as they are intended to address the Original Poster's issue(s) will always be welcome by me and I suspect everyone else here. You may have a unique perspective or specific knowledge of a particular problem that others, including myself, may not be able to see or may otherwise overlook. So please do not hesitate to contribute if you believe you can help in anyway. Your participation and contributions are as valuable as anyone's and are welcome and appreciated.

Hi Trouble, thanks for a very detailed suggestion. I followed your advice, however no luck. The only improvement seemed to be the change of colour from yellow to green for the LAN port connecting PC to router, however I still not configure as I can't access the web page. I'm now guessing there is an issue with the unit itself, even though straight out of the box. I'm at my wits end on what to do to rectify.

Was there any change in the DHCP information that you received after making the adjustments on your card as suggested above?
Do another command prompt
type
ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig /renew
then
ipconfig /all
post results
try this
type ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter
select then right click your wired card and choose properties
scroll as necessary select/highlight Internet protocol version 4 make the following adjustments
Select Use the following IP address:
IP address: 192.168.1.222
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
Select Use the following DNS server addresses:
Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1
Alternate DNS server: 8.8.8.8
OK your way back out of there
reboot
Go back again and check to make sure that the settings have been preserved through the reboot process. If for some reason they have not then let us know and make the appropriate corrections only this time do not reboot just OK your way back out and open a browser IE8
In the URL address bar at the top please type
http://192.168.1.1 and hit enter
Does the router's web interface open?
If not use the manual reset button on the back of the router to return it to factory defaults and try again.
Keep us posted.

I also have the same problem.. I got a new pc for my friend a Dell Inspiron Zino HD - Athlon X2.
After connecting (Ethernet) everything i could not get IE browser to start. I added chrome from my memory stick.
That didn't work aether. I had a wifi usb in by bag, after hooking that on astonishingly everything worked.
Then i unchecked the energy save on Ethernet card and tried again the Ethernet connection. Unfortunetly it didn't work (browsers). Any idea to solve the problem?

infozappp:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Please open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
paste the results into your next post

I did that and had as response
IP address: 192.168.1.66
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.254
The router has that ip i checked it when i connected by wifi.

It certainly would have been better to have been able to have seen the complete response to the command. But for the moment, open another command prompt and type
ping 192.168.1.254
and hit enter, what is the response
sent 4 received 4 lost 0 ? if so type
ping 64.233.169.99
what is the results?

I will try it tomorrow. As i said the computer belongs to a friend of mine and now i am away.
The time here is 01:22 am. I will be back in ~14 hours from now.
Thank you

Back