Windows 7 wireless and wired connection not working

razzuli

I upgraded from Vista Business to Windows 7 and now the wireless and wired ethernet connection will not work. Windows 7 tells me that the drivers for both the NIC and wireless adapter may have problems. I have a Dell 131L Latitude with Broadcom 440 ethernet adapter and dell 1390 wirless adapter. I will not have access to my original Vista installation discs for another week. Any ideas? If needed, I will go out and buy a wireless card. Any recommedations on which one would be compatible?

Thanks

I upgraded from Vista Business to Windows 7 and now the wireless and wired ethernet connection will not work. Windows 7 tells me that the drivers for both the NIC and wireless adapter may have problems. I have a Dell 131L Latitude with Broadcom 440 ethernet adapter and dell 1390 wirless adapter. I will not have access to my original Vista installation discs for another week. Any ideas? If needed, I will go out and buy a wireless card. Any recommedations on which one would be compatible?

Thanks
Hi razzuli,
Thank you posting your Computer SPECS : Dell 131L Latitude which is a Laptop but DELL has no VISTA drivers for its devices [Both Ethernet and Wireless Adapters] :(

Are other things like Audio and Video working OK in Win 7 and if so its worth trying a new Wireless adapter.

1. For an inexpensive Wireless Card Encore Electronics
    802.11G Wireless PCMCIA Adapter (54 Mbps)
  2. Encore Electronics
    802.11G Wireless PCMCIA Adapter (54 Mbps)
  3. Encore 802.11n Wireless USB card ENUWI-N I had installed this on my friend's laptop after its onboard Broadcom wireless died. My friend is very happy with its connectivity to Wireless G and N routers. I got the same on my Desktop PC's USB port and it works flawless on Win 7 system.The Vista drivers on CD is all it needs to work on Win7.
For an expensive one : Cisco
Aironet 802.11a/b/g CardBus Wireless LAN Client Adapter (FCC configuration) NOT evaluated by me yet

Hope this helps

USB Adapter does not work either

Thanks for the advice. I did buy a linksys USB wireless adapter, but that is not working either. The packaging claims it is Vista certified (whatever that means). I will go online and see if I can get updated drivers for it. If that does not work, I will probably do a clean install back to Vista when I get back to Texas.

Thanks for the advice. I did buy a linksys USB wireless adapter, but that is not working either. The packaging claims it is Vista certified (whatever that means). I will go online and see if I can get updated drivers for it. If that does not work, I will probably do a clean install back to Vista when I get back to Texas.
Thank you for your feed back .Sorry your linksys Wireless USB adapter did not work :(

The wireless adapter "sees" the networks

One thing I forgot to mention. Both wireless adapters ( linksys and the 1390 dell) see the networks. It tells me limited connectivity and when I try to connect I get the driver may not be compatible message. Not sure that means anything. But, at least they are working on some level.

One thing I forgot to mention. Both wireless adapters ( linksys and the 1390 dell) see the networks. It tells me limited connectivity and when I try to connect I get the driver may not be compatible message. Not sure that means anything. But, at least they are working on some level.

That error message was a critical piece of information for diagnosis of your problem.
That means the problem may be in the Router and not at the adapter level. Changing the adapter is not the answer.

To gather more information : do the following on the computer that shows the "limited connectivity" message:

If Win 7:

1. Click Start >Search programs and files and type CMD in the Search programs and files box
  2. From the top of Start menu under Programs (1) locate and Right click CMD>Run as Adiministrator
  3. In the Command prompt (>) type IPCONFIG /ALL and press[ENTER] Example: >IPCONFIG /ALL [ENTER] NOTE: Single space after IPCONFIG
  4. Take a Screen Capture of the Command ouput screen and upload here as JPG image
I expect the IPv4 Address to be 169.x.x.x instead of the expected 192.168.xx.xxx range.
We might be able to fix it.
Please post the EXACT Make and Model of your Router also in your reply

IP Config info

I don't have a flash drive so could not take a screen shot, but below is what I saw when I did the IP config command.

Windows Ip Configuration
Host Name Rick-PC
Primary DNS suffix (blank)
Node Type Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled NO
Wins Proxy Enabled NO

router is a Siemens Gigaset SE567

If I do the same on the PC I'm now using I get all kinds of information and IP addresses. Hope this helps

Yes, you are not connecting.

Although I'm now using Vista on a wired connection you should have similar information as I have under your wireless network connection:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Jim-HP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : neo.rr.com

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : USB Wireless 802.11 b/g Adaptor
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-44-78-4C-E7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : neo.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-35-36-6D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::98e3:8e0b:cb02:c041%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 174.100.239.170(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.224.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 09, 2009 10:56:50 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:56:49 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 174.100.224.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.227.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 65.24.7.10
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I believe cmn will be able to help you better than I can.

To post the info above, in the command window click the icon in the upper left corner, select Mark, and then select the section you want, then while its highlighted, choose Edit > Copy. then you can paste that into your posting.

P.S. Don't attempt to hack into my computer, my shields are up:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a flash drive so could not take a screen shot, but below is what I saw when I did the IP config command.

Windows Ip Configuration
Host Name Rick-PC
Primary DNS suffix (blank)
Node Type Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled NO
Wins Proxy Enabled NO

router is a Siemens Gigaset SE567

If I do the same on the PC I'm now using I get all kinds of information and IP addresses. Hope this helps
To get a screen capture you do the following:

1. After you type and press ENTER IPCONFIG /ALL and the Black screen with white text appears on your screen , press and release the ALT key and the Print Screen key on your key board to copy the image . [Alt key at bottom row Left and Print screen key is on top row toward RIGHT end of the keyboard.]
  2. Open Paint [Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint]
  3. Press CTRL and V to paste the image on Paint
  4. Resize using Paint's Resize tool and Save as JPG with an appropraite File name
  5. In the Forum Click Attachments (paper clicp icon) and Browse... on the popup and navigate to the folder you have saved the JPG file and ClicK >Open and then click Upload .
  6. Wait until Upload finishes
  7. Post with your text message.

Re-installed Windows 7 and now the network connection is working. Thanks for all your help.

Hi,
I had the same problem as razzuli, but all I did was to go online from another computer and did a search for the Broadcom 440 driver, found the xp dvr and downloaded it, T/F dvr to W7 machine installed it then connected to router via cable.
Connected to the net with no probs - W7 then updated itself including the missing drivers - then I configured wifi settings and removed cable.
problem solved in approx 5 min - no more probs.
For my second installation of W7, I downloaded the lan and graphic drivers for the second machine, but this time the drivers were found on installation - but would advise anyone else to have these two drivers handy prior to installing W7.
Hope this helps someone?
Don

installed windows 7 again and all connections are working now. Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom