Windows 7 Wireless Network Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

Huntchez

Between 11 A.M. and 3 P.M. my Windows 7 L755-S5153 Toshiba laptop stopped receiving packets from the connection in use. Updates have not been installed since yestarday, yet the problem seemed to have happened today in my absense.

I've gone through 20+ pages of google, following just about every 'solution' given, yet the problem still persists. It is not the connection in question as my roommate has no problem connecting to it.

I've tried all the ipconfig methods, all the netsh things, I've tried using msconfig solutions, the Safe Mode with Networking method, the removing and re-adding the connection, and even repairing system restore. None of those seem to work. I've even tried connecting to another (unsecured) network and no luck. Since my laptop is offline, I cannot copy and paste the information, but tomorrow I can take the time to type it all out.

Since my laptop is offline, I cannot copy and paste the information, but tomorrow I can take the time to type it all out.

You can save the output from ipconfig to a file which you could then send from another pc:

ipconfig /all > ipcfg.txt

As I am on a library computer typing this out, I will try the method above and see what happens as the connection in question is not my connection, but the university's wifi.

You can save the output from ipconfig to a file which you could then send from another pc:

ipconfig /all > ipcfg.txt

I cannot do this since I have no flashdrive or floppy. I will type the results later.

------------------

UPDATE (4/24/2013 10:28 A.M.)

the method above did not work. In a recent discovery, around the same time this issue occured, a duplicate network called 'Other Network' showed up on my list of available networks. Upon clicking it, it asks to enter a SSID (The name of the original connection.)

Upon entering the SSID, it just connects me to connection I already tried to connect to, but with no luck. The ;Other Network' doesn't show when I move to other locations around the campus, but the problem still persists. My roommate does not see 'Other Network' on his list of networks, only the 2 that works for him and not I.

Without further ado, I have no way of saving the text, so I done my best to type it.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright <c> 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration:

Host Name : Laptop1
Primary Dns Suffix : 
Mode Type : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled : No
WINS Proxy Enabled : No

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Media State : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
Description : MAC Bridge Miniport
Physical Address : 06-7D-7B-2F-FA
DHCP Enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection:-specific DNS suffix :
Description : Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
Physical Address :9C-B7-0D-32-94-88 
DHCP Enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address : 169.254.168.195<Preferred>
Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway : 
NetBIOS over Tcpip : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.<560B687E-7728-40E9-A335-3FCA9E7D1900>:

Media State : Media Disconnected
Descirption : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled : No

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Media State : Media disconnected
Description : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

Tunnel adapter Terendo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State: Media disconnected
Description : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface 

Sorry for not adding all the dots, but if they are needed I will gladly add them.

Last edited:
The 169.254.168.195 address is an invalid address and you have no default gateway defined. I must suggest you refer to my previous post and link as something is wrong with DHCP not assigning your adapter the proper information. If you have a firewall on you should disable it. You should also check Realtek for driver updates to this device:

Realtek

Latest driver update as of today appears to be: 4/19/2012

When your computer is configured to get an IP address from a DHCP server, but is unable to find a DHCP server, the Microsoft APIPA service will assign itself a 169.x.x.x IP address, and checks for a DHCP server periodically. This indicates a problem with DHCP assignment to your router. You should enter the data manually to correct the problem once and for all.

Check the network adapter on settings on your other computer or assign the default for most devices:

IP: 192.168.1.13
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
DNS: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 192.168.1.1

This is accessed by going to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections aka View Network Connections. If you do not comply there is no way to rule out DHCP assignment error which is probably why you have a APIPA IP address. See also: Link-local address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can rule out DHCP assignment error, and know that this is NOT the cause of your problem, you need to consider the proposition that your wireless adapter is physically malfunctioning. You should attempt to connect it to other wireless access points and hotspots, with all of the settings I just suggested set to automatic, once again, to determine if it functions in other environments with different variables. Under my methodology, I am trying to rule out router configuration error before condemning your wireless adapter to the trash bin, as it appears to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the device status in device manager, network adapters. Try deleting it from device manager, rebooting and letting Windows detect and reinstall.

Back