Windows 7 Another wired 'Connectivity:No Internet access' problem!

GARoss

Hi all! First post & I nned lots of help.:confused:

A little background. This PC was Win 2K until I installed Ubuntu Linux & deleted Windows. Ubuntu had no problem connecting to the internet from the start & still doesn't. Yesterday, I installed Win7 RC on the 2nd HDD (still have Ubuntu on the 1st HDD) & had a tough time getting the proper driver installed for my LAN ethernet card, Netgear FA311. That appears to be fixed, but now there's a new issue. Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with Vista/Win7 (XP was my last Win OS) I'm not getting how to connect to my broadband. I might add that when I reboot to Ubuntu on the same PC there are no issues accessing the internet.

My system is NOT wireless but LAN. The connection works fine when using Ubuntu so the connection is working in Linux but not on the Win7 side.
As of now the trouble shooter says 'Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configutation. Not fixed.'

Reading in this forum it is suggested to open a command line & ipconfig /all. Here are the results;

C:\Users\Utahbound>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Utahbound-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311v2 PCI Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.222.55(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{07DCE206-177C-4591-A0C0-0108EF1FFB0B}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\Utahbound>

Is this a bug in Win7? Why would Ubnuntu Linux connect & not Win7 on the same PC?

All suggestions are appreciated!
George

-edit- completely wrong answer.

I had no problem with my broadband innitially working, but if I disabled it and tryed to re-enable it it was a pain in the ass. try going into device manager and disabling the NIC, the go to Network and Sharingcenter and "setup a new connection or network" that worked for me

Last edited:
You are not grabbing the true IP to access the Internet.

It should look something like this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : neo.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-35-36-6D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::98e3:8e0b:cb02:c041%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 174.100.235.64(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.224.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:09:55 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 01, 2009 6:09:55 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 174.100.224.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.227.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201334412
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-11-5C-25-E5-00-1E-8C-35-36-6D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 65.24.7.10
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

try going to Start > Run, and type ipconfig /release, the ipconfig /renew

If this doesn't work, try

Unplugging the router.
Unplug the modem. Wait a minute or two.
Plug the modem back in and wait until all lights are green.
Plug router back in. Wait a minute.

Restart

The unplug - plug in didn't work. The results are as before - nothing. While @ Radio Shack I saw this same Netgear FA311 LAN network card is still available. So, Win7 won't work with current gear? Weird! What's next. I'm lost! George

It's not working correctly as it says it is using DHCP, but it's not using a DHCP address (169.254.#.# is an APIPA). Now either your router doesn't support DHCP, it's not enabled\turnned on or for some reason Win 7 isn't getting an address. Do you know if the Ubuntu installation uses DHCP or was it manually assigned an address? If it was manual then there's the problem. If not it must be something else :D also try pinging the loopback address (127.0.0.1), if there is no response\errors then the stack has a problem.

Ubuntu connected to my Ethernet port using DHCP. I cannot ping from other PCs on my network to Win7 but can when this PC is booted to Ubuntu. I cannot ping other PCs from Win7, but can when booted in Ubuntu.

OK so it should use DHCP. Of course you won't be able to ping other computers and they won't be able to ping you as you have an invalid IP address and subnet when compared to them. Did you try and ping the loopback address (127.0.0.1)? If you can't ping that then there is a fault with the stack, either it's not started or there is a driver issue. As mentioned above you could try using a different driver. Or you could just give it a fixed IP as a temporary fix.

Just another thought :) How many IP addresses is your DHCP server set to give out? Only it may have run out if it's set to a really low number. As although Ubuntu won't be using one it will still be on the lease so unavailable. I managed to do this on my home network once when I had a limit of 5 PC's (or something similar) and forgot and couldn't work out why my XBOX couldn't get an address.

I think I've found the problem. My Ethernet card is Netgear FA311 v1. It doesn't say v1 but it is because it uses a National Semiconductor chip rather than a Realtek RTL8139, which is used with v2 & compatible with Vista. National Semiconductor never made a Vista driver for the FA311 v1 version. Looks like I'm up the creek without a paddle. I'm not going to buy new hardware. Who knows what else will fail?

I've been caught by v1 stuff before :( You should try giving it a static IP though, at least that way you should be able to use it for the time being. If you need any help doing that just shout.

OK. I not shape as a tac with computers but I think I tried that. Is that where you edit IPv4 to just the IP addresses or something different? If so, how can I be sure what the correct info might be? I can read the info when I boot into Ubuntu. Would that be the same?

Yes you will need to set the IPv4 to a valid IP as well as providing the subnet mask, a default gateway (this will probably be the IP of the router) and you will probably also need to supply 1 or 2 DNS server IPs. I think you can get the information out of Ubuntu by typing ifconfig (note ifconfig not ipconfig!) at the shell. I don't really use Linux so I'm not 100% sure of the exact way to do it, but I'm sure google will help! Once you have the info I can help you get it to the right place in windows if you're not sure how to do it.

hi all, i am also facing the same issue. i am using netgear fa311, same 169 address. here is wat i hv tried..
1. changed the slot of network cable
2. tried wit a new cable
3. enabled and disabled lan
4. unchecked IPv6
5. ipconfig /release, /renew
6. netsh winsock reset
7. setting up static IP

nothing worked.. prev the same nic was used in xp and vista, worked fine wit dhcp, now nt workin wit win 7 rc.
i am nt behind a router, just a dsl modem and computer..

any solutions??

Note: wil try to ping local host and let u guys knw the result..

I've had a look about and it would appear that the FA311 just doesn't work in Windows 7 as lots of people are reporting issues. Unless Netgear release a new driver there's probably not a lot you can do. I guess you could try forcing it to use the Vista driver and see if that works. A bit annoying it doesn't work with a static IP address though, but I guess if it's a driver issue it's not too suprising.

I am too surprised tht many people are having this issue esp wit netgear, BTW, how do I force Win 7 to accept Vista drivers??

You would have to get hold of the vistas drivers then via the Device Manager update the driver, but point it to the Vista driver rather than using the automatic wizard.

I believe I tried it before, and got a error not the right drivers..anyways d/l again and let me check and revert.

is there no other solution avail rather than upgrading the drivers?

You must use,

Device Manager
Update Driver Software (right click on device)
Browse my computer for driver software
Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
Have Disk

From here browse to the 'inf' file of the driver and use that. You may need to untick the 'show compatible hardware' box. Doing this should allow you to use any driver, even if it's not for that device so be careful!!!

Back