Windows 7 Another wired 'Connectivity:No Internet access' problem!

Other than either buying a new network card or waiting for a new version of Windows 7 and hope that it's a bug that has been fixed I can't say I have any ideas, especially as you say a static IP doesn't work. Just out of curiosity, were you able to ping the 127.0.0.1 address?

yes, I am able to ping it. let me once again connect my laptop to my modem, get the IP details from DHCP and include the same in my desktop and revert bac.

Edit: Tried pinging 127, got 4 replies. Again tried wit static IP, still no internet. Fed up!!!

Last edited:
Interesting as that would indicate the stack is working so the driver should be ok, but obviously it's not if you can't use it! When you assign a static IP are you also giving it a DNS address? You probably are, but I'm clutching at straws here! Once you have a static IP try doing a ping to 209.85.227.103 That is google.com and if it pings back it's a DNS problem you have not a straight connection problem. Something tells me you wont have any luck though :(

I think I have zeroed down the issue, the DNS server IP i have given is the IP address of my modem. This is how it was showing when I conn this laptop to my modem. I tried pinging google IP, giving dest host unreachable.

weird thing is, when I did ipconfig /all,
it shows DHCP - No and Autoconfiguration - Enabled.

how do I enable or start DHCP?

I think this is causing the APIPA.

APIPA will only happen if it can't get an IP via DHCP so DHCP must be enabled. However you can check by looking at the properties for the connection in the same place you would put a static IP in. DHCP is enabled if you have the 'Obtain an IP address automatically' radio button selected.

my ignorance, I hv specified a static IP, and this is the reason it was showing DHCP as No. My bad luck. So, shuld I wait witout internet connection or go back to XP??

OK that makes sense. Well I can't really say which OS you should use, only you can say that :D A new version (7200) is reported to be being leaked soon, so if you know how to get leaked versions you could wait for that and try it. I know they have been playing about with the DHCP in Windows 7 as the DHCP team have a blog and claim to have fixed issues that vista had.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
believe me, In my desktop, just above the clock, it shows Build 7200. Is this the version u r mentioning?

Reg. OS, I was prev having XP, after 4 years, last week only I removed it since my computer was very slow even after inc my RAM from 256 to 1GB+256MB. First I installed Vista HB, this made me lose my Creative SB5.1 CMSS software, due to which my center speaker and Woofer were not working. Also had some issues with my Display adapter drivers too. In another forum, one of the m8 sugg to install Windows 7 and check. So tried, but things are even worser now, asusual no CMSS and additionally no Internet too. Now dunno wt to do.

Last edited:
Yes. I take it you didn't get it from the Microsoft site as the offical RC is 7100. Maybe that is your problem?

Well I can't help you then as the RC is 7100 and people on this forum are talking about the leak of 7200, and unless you work for Microsoft I can't see how you got 7200. If i were you I'd go back to XP given the problems you are having. Remember Windows 7 is still being coded so you are likely to have problems.

MAC Address

I kinda just browsed over all the replies, but did anyone else notice that the MAC address is obviously incorrect? Probably a driver issue and Win7 just doesn't play nice with the card. Without a valid Physical Address, it is not going to work

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311v2 PCI Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.222.55(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Well I can't help you then as the RC is 7100 and people on this forum are talking about the leak of 7200, and unless you work for Microsoft I can't see how you got 7200. If i were you I'd go back to XP given the problems you are having. Remember Windows 7 is still being coded so you are likely to have problems.
tis is the file name i d/l direct from MS.
7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso
but i believe, my desktop shows build 7200, wil confirm this, anyways.

It says 7100 at the front of the iso file so it should be 7100. I have also just downloaded it from Microsoft and will install on a virtual machine just to check!

@Mike2k9 - Well spotted I hadn't noticed that, I was too busy looking at the IP stuff, or at least that's my excuse! :D You're right without a valid MAC it's never going to work so must be a driver issue. Something tells me that it's unlikely to get fixed by Netgear given it's an old card, so unless Microsoft come up with something I doubt there will be a fix.

@Mike2k9 Actually just thinking about it the guy who posted that info says later on that his is the V1 card not the V2 as written. Which would probably explain the driver issue as that driver is clearly for the V2 (since the description states V2!). He also said that there isn't even a Vista driver for the V1 card.

Last edited:
k, somehw or the other i hv to fix this internet issue in RC. dnt hv time to do some R&D..is this thread starter able to get a soln?

It says 7100 at the front of the iso file so it should be 7100. I have also just downloaded it from Microsoft and will install on a virtual machine just to check!

@Mike2k9 - Well spotted I hadn't noticed that, I was too busy looking at the IP stuff, or at least that's my excuse! :D You're right without a valid MAC it's never going to work so must be a driver issue. Something tells me that it's unlikely to get fixed by Netgear given it's an old card, so unless Microsoft come up with something I doubt there will be a fix.

@Mike2k9 Actually just thinking about it the guy who posted that info says later on that his is the V1 card not the V2 as written. Which would probably explain the driver issue as that driver is clearly for the V2 (since the description states V2!). He also said that there isn't even a Vista driver for the V1 card.

Like I said, I just browsed the replies. Haven't seen the OP reply in a while either, so not sure where this stands, looks like dre@ms is having the same issue and the thread has gone to helping him out now? *shrug*

Yeh I don't know what happened to the OP. I hope he comes back as I may have found a driver (someone reported sucess in Vista so it may work in 7 as well) for the V1 card, but as I don't have a card I can't test it.

Back