Any Ubuntu users around here?

Radenight

Hey all,

So as the title says are there any Ubuntu users in the windows7forums community? I use Ubuntu 8.04 which is currently the newest long term support build. It's really the first Linux OS that I've gotten involved with in depth and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. It's rock solid, the large amount of features are very impressive and it has to be one of the easiest Linux Os's to pick up I've ever seen..

I love the Desktop cube effect.. such a great way to work with multiple apps among other things. It's amazing too that Ubuntu has all the visual effects that it does and yet the minimum requirements to run it are sooo low.. It really does "breath new life into old computers". ;)

I also like how in Ubuntu you can see/access all the other partitions you have setup within your HDD. You can do anything to the files just as you would do within a Windows OS. That being said it is kinda sketchy though how you can access/modify your windows system files within Ubuntu too, I don't think that's a very good feature to have enabled. Especially for beginners to Linux.. On the other side of this, it's kinda odd how you can't see the chunk of HDD that has Ubuntu setup on it from within Windows... well at least I can't see it on my main comp.. But I'm guessing that's probably because Linux uses the "free space" of a Hard Drive to setup it's own partition and so on. Not a big deal, just an oddity I thought.

But overall I think Ubuntu is a very well done OS that provides numerous unique features and never stops amazing me when it comes to visuals. If only it could play games as well as Windows does... ;) Maybe someday!!!

I'd like to know if any of you use Ubuntu and what your overall thoughts on it are.. :)

First off there is a new ubuntu build out there that is long term that they have endorsed and that is 8.10. I have it installed on my laptop and it runs freakingly sweet. I have wine installed on it which allows me to integrate windows Apps into it. I have never had one problem with ubuntu but dont get around to using it much unfortunately.

I know about 8.10 and no it is not supported as long as 8.04 is. But I have used 8.10 as well and I think I prefer 8.04 at this point in time..

8.04 LTS receives updates until 2011 I believe it is and 8.10 for some reason will only receive them until 2010, it doesn't make much sense I know but that's straight from the Ubuntu site... ;)

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop, and I agree it is damn sweet and if you get yourself the current beta of KDE then it is even sweeter. Having said that I have been using Linux since the early 90s and suffered the early desktop environments.

I have noticed a few peculiar things networking Linux to Windows 7 with Samba connectivity. Samba will network perfectly fine with Vista and lower (XP, 2K etc) with no issues at all, however I am not always able to connect to my Windows 7 box. I havent really had much time to see whats going on with packets or anything like that yet. Just wonder if anyone else has experienced this yet?

I've tried ubuntu, and always go back to Windows within a few hours. For example, I tried Ubuntu 7.10, which froze in the middle of the installer (it would freeze if I wrote to a hard drive), which caused windows to be unbootable. Didn't have a vista disk, so I tried to run wine and install bcdedit, and didn't work. So I had to wait for my dad to come back so I could use his PC and burn a vista recovery disk, and run bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /bootsec, which restored the pc in a few seconds.

Well, I've run Ubuntu, gNewSense, Puppy, Mepis, and a few others. The 3D effects in Ubuntu are Very good, and the OS is stable, as far as it goes. That being said, I have had system crashes in Gnu/Linux as well as Windows, and other hardware and software problems in both. All in all I think I've had less problems in Windows than Gnu/Linux. I think 7 is shaping up to be the best Windows OS yet, wuth less strain on the computer's resources, and "pretty" to boot! I'm back on Windows and will likely stay on it for quite some time to come. I did like Pidgin quite a bit, and do miss the chat rooms!

I don't think the problem with linux is stability. Linux/Unix is more stable than any MSdos/Win
But the software and hardware compatibility
For example am fun of Canon I have printer and scanner, printer working just text and scanner is not working at all.
I wish to have the money to get an apple

Well as somebody who has played with all sorts of OSs I always wonder about questions of which is best. The answer is really that the best one is the one that works best for you, not the one with the most toys or the newest this that or the next thing. I have for my job been forced to look into many new OSs, among them Ubuntu and now Windows 7 and Mac. I am required to know how they work and how to fix them when they do not work and eventually they ALL do not work. That is because as stated earlier the people using them are not like me. They do not have their livelihood hinged upon knowing what to do with them. That is how I stay employeed and why I look at all of this new stuff with a certain amount of distain. To me the best OS is the one that is easiest to fix when it all goes wrong. Vista was simply annoying and condesending but it could be fixed. XP eventually ended stable and easy to fix because so many people found so many ways to fix it. Ubuntu is labour intensive to fix when it goes wrong and for the most part you had better understand a non GUI to fix it. Eventually Windows 7 will need to be fixed as well but it has a head start on Vista's problem - it can be fixed occasionally with some existing Vista tools. So I guess what I am saying is to tell me how good your favorite OS is after it has totally melted down and you needed to fix it because that is when the horror stories start, not when it looks pretty out of the box.

Hahahaha!Sweet!I did not expected to find linux friends in here!By the way I'm using Mandriva but, Ubuntu 8.10 made me start thinking of repatitioning my hard drive and and make some space for Ubuntu!Um...I found window 7 fine too but I'm wondering why does this desctop looks so familiar?Maybe a KDE user could tell me why...

Hey all! I'm primarily a Mac user, but I run Ubuntu 10 on my servers (one for friends org, one for personal use). And of course, I'm trying out Windows7 now.

I don't think the problem with linux is stability. Linux/Unix is more stable than any MSdos/Win
But the software and hardware compatibility
For example am fun of Canon I have printer and scanner, printer working just text and scanner is not working at all.
I wish to have the money to get an apple

OK this post is a bit old -- however for Canon hardware forget Ubuntu -- try OpenSuse version 11.1 -- OK Linux distros have their own adherents -- there's probably no such thing as the 100% perfect one but unlike windows you do get a choice.

download the livecd you'll actually like it I'm sure. This is also nice with Linux distros -- you can download the live CD to try out distros before installing.

Cheers
jimbo

I have been using Microsoft software since DOS 3 and Edlin. I have been through DOS 5/windows 3.11, windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, and now, 7 beta. I have, for 3 years or so, been trying several Linux versions (two or three versions each: Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, and a couple of others.). I currently have windows 7 on my "experimental OS" computer. I guess I am just too oriented to Windows to un-learn it and learn a new way of doing things. I really would like to find something that would take me completely away from Microsoft, but I have not yet found any Linux version to do that yet. Still looking!

p.s. Vista is something that really makes one look hard for a Windows replacement. Maybe Windows 7 can bring some "wanderers" back to the familiar.

Last edited:
I've used Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva, Arch, and Fedora for about two years. I also dabbled in Solaris for a time.

And now I'm on Windows 7 for a while due to the headaches of being in Ubuntu's Jaunty 9.04 branch. Big whopping pain to use right now, that one is.

I like Ubuntu too

Hey all,

So as the title says are there any Ubuntu users in the windows7forums community? I use Ubuntu 8.04 which is currently the newest long term support build. It's really the first Linux OS that I've gotten involved with in depth and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. It's rock solid, the large amount of features are very impressive and it has to be one of the easiest Linux Os's to pick up I've ever seen..

I love the Desktop cube effect.. such a great way to work with multiple apps among other things. It's amazing too that Ubuntu has all the visual effects that it does and yet the minimum requirements to run it are sooo low.. It really does "breath new life into old computers". ;)

I also like how in Ubuntu you can see/access all the other partitions you have setup within your HDD. You can do anything to the files just as you would do within a Windows OS. That being said it is kinda sketchy though how you can access/modify your windows system files within Ubuntu too, I don't think that's a very good feature to have enabled. Especially for beginners to Linux.. On the other side of this, it's kinda odd how you can't see the chunk of HDD that has Ubuntu setup on it from within Windows... well at least I can't see it on my main comp.. But I'm guessing that's probably because Linux uses the "free space" of a Hard Drive to setup it's own partition and so on. Not a big deal, just an oddity I thought.

But overall I think Ubuntu is a very well done OS that provides numerous unique features and never stops amazing me when it comes to visuals. If only it could play games as well as Windows does... ;) Maybe someday!!!

I'd like to know if any of you use Ubuntu and what your overall thoughts on it are.. :)

I use Xubuntu 8.10 on a second PC I have here. In case you don`t know Xubuntu has the XFCE desktop and you can install KDE as well too.I don`t run compiz at all because it defeats the purpose of having a minimal desktop.You can also add packages from other desktops as well. My Xubuntu hads Gnome packages and KDE packages as well. What I like about it is it boots pretty fast.I like the package manager as well because its easy to locate and install packages.There are a lot of great packages on there and lots of games. I`m more into the older games like pysol solitaire, donkeybolonkey, pinball
and enigma. :)

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop, and I agree it is damn sweet and if you get yourself the current beta of KDE then it is even sweeter. Having said that I have been using Linux since the early 90s and suffered the early desktop environments.

I have noticed a few peculiar things networking Linux to Windows 7 with Samba connectivity. Samba will network perfectly fine with Vista and lower (XP, 2K etc) with no issues at all, however I am not always able to connect to my Windows 7 box. I havent really had much time to see whats going on with packets or anything like that yet. Just wonder if anyone else has experienced this yet?

Hi there
Windows 7 has some strange networking problems --even in a Windows only network computers seem to appear and disappear randomly from the Network Map -- even refresh won't make the missing machines re-appear.

Most of these issues have actually been fixed in build 7077 (I'm using the x_64 version). Download from 2The usual places". One of the 7077 build features that IS known is that networking has been improved with various bugs fixed.

Works fine with SAMBA (although I'm using SUSE 11.1 rather than UBUNTU) . Samba is much the same however across many many Linux distros.

The problem was a W7 one rather than Linux.

Cheers
jimbo

I have tried most Linux distro and found that my Cannon MP190 scanner printer is not surported when it comes to scanning. The printing options are not much better as the resolution you can print at is much reduced .
For me windows 7 is the answer though I do have a soft spot for linux

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
i use ubuntu on virtual pc in windows 7 rc

I use Ubuntu since 6.04 now it is 9.04 and traing Windows 7 as dual boot aside of Ubuntu I think that if we talk of Virtual it is more logic to put Windows 7 into Ubuntu to keep malware out of win 7."It took 5 minute to have 5 spy ware in my win 7 !!!!:(:(

Back