Windows 7 Applications/windows' keep getting "unselected"

TerminalMontage

For example, if I'm typing in Word, randomly the Word application/window will get unselected, as if I clicked something else. I won't be able to type anymore until I click the Word window again, it's pretty annoying too since I'm a fast typer. And this happens with everything. Games, browsers, etc.

I've also noticed when I have something fullscreened, like a video or a game, after a few minutes the START bar at the bottom of my screen pops up, and I'm assuming whatever was fullscreened got "unselected," and that's why the menu bar pops up.

Have any of you ran into something like this? I have McAfee (bleh, I'm about ready to uninstall it), and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and I've checked my computer many times but nothing has come up. This has been happening for over a month and I've just about had it. Please help me!

We had a thread on this before but I cannot find the thread and can't remember the solution. But something is stealing the focus from your window, so I suppose a question might be, where is the focus going?

Maybe I will find it later unless someone else remembers.

Trying Uninstalling & Re-installing latest appropriate mouse & keyboard driver/software.

I had this problem a while ago and discovered for me that it was when mediaplayer was playing... (cant remeber what caused it, I think it was when I was using readyboost)

Regards

Basher

I have read of some strange things happening with McAfee. I doubt this is, but since you are thinking of dumping it anyway, Uninstall McAfee and download and install Link Removed due to 404 Error for your AV/AM needs directly from MS.

When the focus changes, do you see any flashing icons on the Taskbar? Could a window be popping up behind?

Some mouse settings might cause such a thing, like jumping to a button or hovering over something.

As Ted mentions, some programs might steal focus and I saw someone talking about another Virus or backup type program.

Do you have the action alerts set to display if an alert occurs? I normally hide my icons, but allow for alerts to show.

Edit: I think I remember a situation where an external drive, like a flash drive was causing such situations.

You might keep Task Manager open so you could catch something causing the problem. There could always be something going on you would not expect.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, so I used Malwarebyes and got rid of some, Trojan.SHarpro's and disabled some mediaplayer things, going to see how that works, then I'll work on getting rid of McAfee completely.

And, I'll keep task manager up and keep an eye out, from what I've seen though it doesn't look like anything in particular is stealing the focus, it's just unfocusing on what ever I'm focused on.. But I'm probably wrong.

have you solved this problem now i had exactly the same with the videos and the deselecting and its just driving me mad only being able to type 2-3 letters at a time but sometimes its fine like now others its just hell i just installed malwarebytes to see if that finds anything but a quick scan found nothing doing full scan now. any advice would be brilliant as im close to throwing my computer out the window because its high spec but at time almost completely unusable:mad:

have you solved this problem now i had exactly the same with the videos and the deselecting and its just driving me mad only being able to type 2-3 letters at a time but sometimes its fine like now others its just hell i just installed malwarebytes to see if that finds anything but a quick scan found nothing doing full scan now. any advice would be brilliant as im close to throwing my computer out the window because its high spec but at time almost completely unusable:mad:

SAME PROBLEM HERE, someone help plz, trying to typle online is now futuile. I must type EVERYTHING in word first then copy paste to whatever site i wanna type on... -_- HELP. plz? >_<

STEP 1 : open the "TP-LINK WIRELESS UTILITY" by clicking on the icon created on desktop while installing the software
STEP 2 : open "ADVANCED"
STEP 3 : select the option "OFF" for "power save mode"

STEP 1 : open the "TP-LINK WIRELESS UTILITY" by clicking on the icon created on desktop while installing the software
STEP 2 : open "ADVANCED"
STEP 3 : select the option "OFF" for "power save mode"
yeh i had the same problem but your solution has worked for me thanks alot man, cause iv had this problem for about 4 mounths and was about to give up.

This issue was SERIOUSLY driving me insane, as it was even doing it in my art applications: Photoshop and Maya. Everybody's suggestions helped me figure it out. They are right, you MUST open the task manager and see if any applications are jumping from the top of the list and then disappearing. That means it is turning on and off repeatedly. For me it was an application called Akamai Netsession Interface. Everybody's application will be different. But it was basically on and then off. You can tell by selecting it and then suddenly it's unselected. I uninstalled the app and everything was fine again. Hope that helps anyone.

Back