Windows 8 bluetooth error ( code 19 )

ajkaorjun

i have recently upgraded to 8 from 7. my bluetooth has stopped working a couple of days ago. the device manager lists bluetooth with an yellow exclamation mark ( code 19...windows can not start device...registry problem...blah blah blah ).

i have uninstalled and reinstalled latest bluetooth driver ( broadcom bluetooth 3 + hsb ) and also tried to repair the registry with freeware - but no success at all.

i can not tell with 100% confidence that Windows 8 upgrade is responsible for that as i did not check whether bluetooth was working after the upgrade. i believe it is not the case as i vaguely remember the system automatically downloaded the latest bluetooth driver from broadcom after the upgrade.

a quick googling of code 19 tells that it is essentially a registry error. but how to repair it?

i do not know the class id of my built-in bluetooth hardware. to delete upper and lower filters from the registry i need to know the class id / guid of my bluetooth hardware first - right?

any other suggestions? thanks in advance.

point to be noted : the code 19 error is present in both the cases - 1 ) with generic bluetooth driver ( after uninstalling broadcom driver ) and 2 ) after installing broadcom driver.

mine is samsung netbook n148plus.

[ compatibility mode can not be used as the broadcom driver is not an exe file. i can not reinstall the broadcom driver directly. i have to use windows update. it downloads again the driver and reinstalls without any result. ]

I do not see your model number on the US Samsung site. The closest one I see it an NP-N140, which has Bluetooth, but the latest drivers are for Windows 7 32 bit.

Do you have newer drivers, or have you looked on the Broadcom site?

Since the device isn't being recognized, but normally to get the hardware ID, in Device Manager you go to properties, Details Tab and select Hardware ID in the drop down Property box.

I do not see your model number on the US Samsung site. The closest one I see it an NP-N140, which has Bluetooth, but the latest drivers are for Windows 7 32 bit.

Do you have newer drivers, or have you looked on the Broadcom site?

Since the device isn't being recognized, but normally to get the hardware ID, in Device Manager you go to properties, Details Tab and select Hardware ID in the drop down Property box.

mine's np-n148plus ( that's what samsung calls in india ) - atom dual core n550 1.5 gz.

i can directly download the ( latest driver ) exe file from broadcom site but when i am running it says "microsoft bluetooth stack could not be started".

the two bluetooth hardware id are :

USB\VID_0A5C&PID_219C&REV_0628

USB\VID_0A5C&PID_219C

and i can find them after searching the registry. now what? how to delete the upper and lower filter values of these two?? ( are you suggesting me to delete the values / do you think it will solve the problem? )

I now have my Windows 8 machine with Bluetooth. We can compare what might be necessary for it to work.

In Device Manager, under Bluetooth, I have an ASUS and Microsoft Enumerator, along with some other things.

There are two Network Adapters.

Other Devices, which currently show Bluetooth Peripheral Devices with a question mark.

In Services.msc, for Bluetooth I have:

An AtherosSVC (Qualcomm Atheros BT Stack Service Agent
Bluetooth Support Service

I normally have my Bluetooth disabled in the bios because I was very disappointed with its performance.

Let me know if you want to check something.

I now have my Windows 8 machine with Bluetooth. We can compare what might be necessary for it to work.

In Device Manager, under Bluetooth, I have an ASUS and Microsoft Enumerator, along with some other things.

There are two Network Adapters.

Other Devices, which currently show Bluetooth Peripheral Devices with a question mark.

In Services.msc, for Bluetooth I have:

An AtherosSVC (Qualcomm Atheros BT Stack Service Agent
Bluetooth Support Service

I normally have my Bluetooth disabled in the bios because I was very disappointed with its performance.

Let me know if you want to check something.

so...what are you suggesting now? as there are no upper and lower filter values listed in the registry it seems that the root of the problem is NOT a broken registry, afaik.

may be the driver is not compatible. can you please suggest some? and any other suggestions?

The filters thing I have only seen with DVD/CD players. It could be related, but I do not know. Tell me where in the registry to look for those things.

You appear to have a Bluetooth USB dongle. Broadcom says they do not sell to consumers and to look to your OEM for drivers. It appears the OEM does not furnish drivers for Windows 8 or Windows 7 64 bit. But you might check the net for these items. I have no experience with the web site mentioned. And the PID (2151) seems to be different from the one you show (219c).

Broadcom Bluetooth 2.1 USB Dongle
http://www.driverskit.com/hwcat/usb_vid_0a5c_pid_2151/devinfo2042.html

I did find this site when I searched for the Dongle

Bluetooth Software Download | Broadcom

But my basic question is, are there two Bluetooth devices under the Bluetooth section of the Device Management. One from Broadcom (or Samsung) and one from Microsoft?

no dongle - my bluetooth hardware is built-in.

as i said earlier, i can directly download the ( bluetooth driver installer ) exe file from here

Bluetooth Software Download | Broadcom

but when i am running it says "microsoft bluetooth stack could not be started".

and there is just one bluetooth thing called "generic bluetooth adapter" listed under bluetooth in the device manager. when i am reinstalling the broadcom driver, the name generic bluetooth adapter changes to broadcom and the code 19 error remains.

now i am seriously starting to believe that it is essentially a driver issue. we just need to find the right driver.

I found this site when I was looking for the Microsoft Bluetooth Stack. Since the error you are getting mentions that, it might be worth while to follow the steps to see if they make sense and you have most of the needed files, like bth.inf. This site is older but probably still relevant. I will continue looking.

How to Restore a Microsoft Bluetooth Stack | eHow.com

Just for testing, I went to pickup a USB Bluetooth adapter. This system does not have an onboard Bluetooth adapter, and Bluetooth has not been installed on it before.

All I have done is plug in the adapter to a USB 2.0 port. The attachments are of the resulting install, which may take a few minutes to complete. I have not installed any drivers supplied with the adapter. I have checked it with my iPhone and it sees it fine.

Anyway, if yours does not look like this maybe we can track down the problem.

Attachments

• Devices3.JPG
    Devices3.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 2,851
Just for testing, I went to pickup a USB Bluetooth adapter. This system does not have an onboard Bluetooth adapter, and Bluetooth has not been installed on it before.

All I have done is plug in the adapter to a USB 2.0 port. The attachments are of the resulting install, which may take a few minutes to complete. I have not installed any drivers supplied with the adapter. I have checked it with my iPhone and it sees it fine.

Anyway, if yours does not look like this maybe we can track down the problem.

as i said earlier, only the generic bluetooth adapter is listed and NOT the ms bluetooth emulator or anything else ( ie my case does NOT match with the attached thumbnail ).

however, when i am uninstalling the generic bluetooth adapter ( ie uninstalling the device ) and then scanning for hardware changes ( from the right-click pop-up menu ) ms bluetooth emulator appears for a fraction of a second ( under the generic bluetooth adapter ) and then disappears - and only the generic bluetooth adapter remain listed. [ this is past behavior ]

ehow - how to restore bluetooth?

after reading the article i searched for "bth.inf.old" or "bth.bak". neither is present. only bth ( without the inf extension ) and bth.pnf is present. i changed bth to bth.inf.

then i uninstalled generic bluetooth adapter ( device ) and scanned for hardware changes. now it is showing as unknown device ( listed under other devices ) with error code 28. ( generic bluetooth adapter is not showing anymore ) when i am clicking the property of the unknown device it is showing as broadcom bcm2070...

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

when i am clicking update driver windows automatically searches online, downloads and tries to install, and finally a message appears :

the driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. this may be the inf file was written for win 95 or later.

btw, driver whiz and bluetoothdriverinstaller.exe could not be run as they have compatibility issues.

Now might be a good time for you to run a System File Check. You should have the bth.inf file in a basic Windows 8 install.

Open and Administrative command prompt, and type SFC /scannow and let it finish. Let us know what it says.

Now might be a good time for you to run a System File Check. You should have the bth.inf file in a basic Windows 8 install.

Open and Administrative command prompt, and type SFC /scannow and let it finish. Let us know what it says.

windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations.

I really do not know what would be the best course of action. Your system seems to be missing some Windows 8 system files and the System File Check will not replace them. Of course, if it was able to fix the problem, it would not give you any error indications.

Since it appears you cannot get the Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator to work you probably need to work on that. I do not know if the third party software drivers you are installing are involved, but try just removing those to see if Windows will set things up. If you run msinfo32.exe, it will give you a list of drivers in the Software Environment - System Drivers section. Check if bthenum is listed and what it says about it.

In the registry, you should have an entry with the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BthEnum

If it appears you will not be able to solve the problem, it might be about time for you to do some type of system recovery, such as a Refresh operation in Windows 8. I am not that familiar with what each one does, but you will have to make that choice.

I really do not know what would be the best course of action. Your system seems to be missing some Windows 8 system files and the System File Check will not replace them. Of course, if it was able to fix the problem, it would not give you any error indications.

Since it appears you cannot get the Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator to work you probably need to work on that. I do not know if the third party software drivers you are installing are involved, but try just removing those to see if Windows will set things up. If you run msinfo32.exe, it will give you a list of drivers in the Software Environment - System Drivers section. Check if bthenum is listed and what it says about it.

In the registry, you should have an entry with the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BthEnum

If it appears you will not be able to solve the problem, it might be about time for you to do some type of system recovery, such as a Refresh operation in Windows 8. I am not that familiar with what each one does, but you will have to make that choice.

the following is NOT present in the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BthEnum

bthenum ( bluetooth enumerator ), bthhfenum ( bt handsfree audio and call control enumerator ), bthhfhid ( bt handsfree call control hid ), bthmodem ( bt serial communication ), bthpan ( bt device - personal area network ), bthport ( bt port ), bthusb ( bt radio usb ), btwavdt ( bt avdt service ), bthavrcptg ( bt audio / video remote control hid ) - they all are STOPPED. ( started : no & start mode : manual ).

fyi, after running services.msc

bluetooth radio control service ( turns bluetooth radio on and off based on user request ) - RUNNING ( startup type : auto )

bluetooth service ( handles installation and removal of bluetooth devices ) - RUNNING ( startup type : auto )

bluetooth support service ( discovery and association of remote bluetooth devices ) - RUNNING ( startup type : auto - trigger start )

I suppose we need to go back to see why you did not find the bth.inf file in the Window\inf directory. That is the setup file for the Microsoft stuff. You said you saw a .pnf file, and you should have one of those also. The file should be about 65K and say setup information. The .pnf version is 66K.

If you have a file that is listed as bth.inf, you might try right clicking and select "restore to previous versions", if you have that option. Then try allowing the device to be rediscovered or use the Disk Management to scan for new hardware.

I got a USB Bluetooth adapter at Best Buy yesterday for around $20 (Rocketfish). If you can't get your system working, that might be an alternative, at least for testing.

I just had a bad experience with a TV Tuner card and its drivers. What I learned is that there may be a situation where a bios reset to defaults could help. Newer bios chips/firmware seem to keep drivers for certain devices. If you are having a problem with one, try resetting the bios to its defaults then go and reset what you need to.

It cleared up a situation where I was getting a yellow exclamation on a multimedia device even though I knew I had the correct drivers.

Back