Windows 7 Booting failure - Startup repair (occassional BSOD)

Anton17

This used to happen every other day but now it's gotten to a point where it's almost everytime I boot up.

Upon powering on I'll get the option to use Startup Repair or to boot Windows normally, which can lead to a BSOD flashing for a split second and then restarting to the Starup Repair selection screen again. The BSOD flashes far too quick for me to read what's going on, but the one time it did stay on it proclaimed it was due to "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO".

A thing that's a little strange is that it tends to loop into Startup repair when I turn on in the morning, though after going to work for 8 or 9 hours and powering on when I get back, it will boot just fine. There are also times when Startup repair moves quickly, does a simple chkdsk and everything's a-ok, though in some instances it can take several repeats to get this done (three this morning).

Another worrying thing is that from time to time Startup repair won't run automatically, but it'll load up and ask me for a keyboard input method and a window will appear where I can choose to restore with a disc image or to try and repair my OS with the SR tools. However, when this happens, my drives/OS do not appear in the designated area. I'm starting to think my HD is either failing or is having trouble being read.

Any suggestions?

Hi.

Boot to safe mode + networking. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files in there to any other folder then zip them. Attach the zip to a post and I or someone else will analyze it for you.

Thanks, here it is.

(I didn't need to go to safe mode, everything works fine, I just occasionally have to put up with that error in booting now and then. I can usually get back on to the system as normal after being very patient).

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    18.7 KB · Views: 235
This is a super-rare type of crash, caused by someone messing about in the registry, or what the operating system sees as such....it doesn't necessarily literally mean that bad edits in the registry have been human/user caused, but it definitely can mean that.

This official debug statement from the crash dump always cracks me up lol:

"BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO (74)
Can indicate that the SYSTEM hive loaded by the osloader/NTLDR
was corrupt. This is unlikely, since the osloader will check
a hive to make sure it isn't corrupt after loading it.
It can also indicate that some critical registry keys and values
are not present. (i.e. somebody used regedt32 to delete something
that they shouldn't have) Booting from LastKnownGood may fix
the problem, but if someone is persistent enough in mucking with
the registry they will need to reinstall or use the Emergency
Repair Disk."

If you use any registry cleaners besides CCleaner, do not do that any longer.

Anyhow, because of the type and way it crashes, I can't see all of your drivers to make a full analysis at all. But let's fix something that absolutely needs fixing. It's the only recommendation of the moment, until you have more crashes and can post the dumps. Perhaps this will fix things alone:

Update your PowerISO.

SCDEmu SCDEmu.SYS Thu Jun 12 17:38:37 2008

PowerISO - Create, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Mount, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive

I can assure you I haven't been fiddling with the registry, and since CCleaner didn't do anything for me, I had it removed.

The only thing I can surmise is that perhaps it was down to my install? I used a "found" image, so I'm not sure whether that would correlate to the crashing. Given the analysis you just presented me with, it seems like the only logical thing that comes to mind.

I've updated PowerISO.

Would I be able to rule out a hardware issue?

Thanks, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I chose to edit your post instead of giving an infraction. There is a very strict rule at the forum here and I wanted to save your account from an infraction. I hope you understand that I've done so in your best interest.

Anyhow, no, I don't believe there is a hardware issue or that the "found" image is the cause, although I really would not use any image like that because of the high rate of malware injected into the available ones.

For the moment, I would just chalk it up to inconvenience and hope it passes, especially since you've updated PowerISO.

If you have more crashes, please feel free to post them. Very welcome. :)

PowerISO is not updated and very old. That really does need the update installed or it is pointless posting new crashes.

SCDEmu SCDEmu.SYS Thu Jun 12 17:38:37 2008

Also update Realtek wireless driver:

RTL8187Se RTL8187Se.sys Wed Oct 28 23:24:30 2009

Realtek

Back