Windows 10 BSOD after trying to connect to VPN

AnneKZN

I'm hoping someone can help me - starting today, every time I try to access my VPN, exactly 5 minutes later I get a BSOD, with the driver irql not less or equal, and the problem is the tcpip.sys. It won't access the VPN (can't recall exactly what the message is - a long message in yellow), but I've tested it 5 times, and each time, exactly 5 minutes later my computer crashes. I had the problem this morning, and after the second crash, I didn't attempt to connect, and worked all day without any problems. When I decided to test my sneaking suspicion that it had to do with connecting to the VPN, the last three crashes seem to prove that.

I have uninstalled the usb wireless 'card', updated the ethernet driver and reset the tcp ip settings. I am no computer expert, and I did find a thread that talked about computers crashing once they disconnect from their VPNs, but mine won't even connect, and there didn't seem to be anyone who could solve the problem, just people saying they had it. Those messages were less than 2 weeks old.

Two days ago I discovered that my email was being used to relay spam, but after talking to my ISP we installed Malwarebytes, and each of the scans showed no threats. We changed my email password, which seems to have got rid of that issue.

Some of the boards I found seemed to indicate that there could be a link to malwarebytes, but I have uninstalled it, and I still get the problem.

Any suggestions, bearing in mind my lack of computer knowledge?

Anne Coventry, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

Okay, I've created the zip folder as requested...

(The email sent to me asked me to introduce myself - I am an architect, and I started using computers back in 1987, with dos. I have since then become more and more befuddled with each new version of windows.)

Attachments

• W7F_10-08-2018.zip
    2 MB · Views: 294
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {10, 2, 0, fffff80ac1196bf9}

Probably caused by : NETIO.SYS ( NETIO!NsiEnumerateObjectsAllParametersEx+225 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi Anne and welcome to the forum.. :)
So from the dump files sent ( a bugcheck 3b and the above) it looks like either a driver or app is causing your network to bsod.

Unfortunately it isn't obvious what the actual cause is although I can see dropbox.exe was running in all three dump files at the time of bsod.
Try removing Dropbox and see if that helps.

Something else i noticed in the driver stack was this:

GPCIDrv64.sys Thu Jul 10 13:58:31 2008: Gigabyte Easy boost related driver. Please remove due to age plus these little apps can also be the cause of bsod's.
Please post any new dump files after making the above changes.

Thank you very much, kemical! It's getting late here now, I'll remove Gigabyte Easy tomorrow (if I can find whatever it is...), and get rid of dropbox.

At the moment I think I can recreate the crash quite easily, just by trying to access the VPN and waiting the 5 minutes (that's weird, you'd think it would happen immediately), so it should be easy to find out if either of these worked - I'll let you know.

(I had a quick look at some of the files, and I thought it must be fun to be able to understand what any of it actually means)

Your very welcome Anne and I hope all goes well tomorrow. Any problems please post back and we'll endevour to help.

Kemical - I am so grateful to you! I removed dropbox, and then wasn't sure how to remove the gigabyte thing, so looked it up, and found others who had the BSOD with it. It told me how to remove it, I did, and tried to connect to the VPN - it connected straight away. It's been 5 minutes, and it hasn't crashed yet, so I'm all hope.

Edit - I was stupid - I should have removed them one at a time so that I could see what actually caused it.

Morning Anne!

Well it's been some hours since you last posted so i'm hoping the removal of dropbox was the key.

Please post again if problems persist and best of luck!

Hi, Kemical. I had to go out this morning, and we get such severe thunderstorms that I have to unplug everything, been back for about an hour and so far so good.

Because most BSODs come from drivers or hardware. A software VPN will always have drivers that are required to function. If there is a bug or they are poorly developed they will often result in a BSOD.

Back