Windows 8 BSOD While Gaming in Multiple Games

Luquito14

I had been experiencing frequent screen tearing and crashes to desktop while playing both Wa Thunder and World of Warships, but I have now twice received a BSOD with the message"NMI_Hardware_FAILURE." I had updated my drivers to the latest ones as specified by the manufacturer (Dell), and I also updated BIOS, CPU drivers, and Chipset software, but still no cigar. I would appreciate some expert advice as I am no computer genius.

Thanks.

Attachments

• W7F_07-07-2015.zip
    870.3 KB · Views: 682
  • W7F_07-07-2015.zip
    870.3 KB · Views: 1,382
Hi Luke,

Nothing too major leaps out… nothing in the bsod causing range anyway… most of your errors are network and ram related;
  • The Y drive has space issues… is that a vhdd or disc perhaps?
  • You have a Bluetooth device that keeps getting drop outs… what is this device and can it be turned off while you play?
  • Refresh my memory please World of Warships is played online yes?
  • 8 G of ram isn't all that much for Windows 8.1 and I'd double that on a game rig, especially one playing on a network.

I do not have any bluetooth devices connected, besides a speaker that I use from time to time and that is not used while I am gaming. World of Warships is played online, and it plays completely fine at about 50 fps, so I don't see how the issue could be caused by insufficient RAM. I'm not sure what the Y drive is unless that is perhaps the OneDrive

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 80, {4f4454, 0, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!WheaReportHwError+22d )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
a bugcheck 80 means a hardware malfunction occurred. Typical causes can be new drivers, if you recently updated like you say try returning to the original versions. Also are all your RAM modules of the same type? (another cause)
If your using anything to overclock either the cpu or gpu then stop.
BiosVersion = A02
BiosReleaseDate = 03/09/2015

I also checked your Bios and noticed on this support page of only one version A01 yet you have A02 installed?
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-14-5458-laptop/drivers

I downloaded my drivers and updated my BIOS from that same link, so I have no idea why it says that I have A02 installed. I assumed that those drivers were the proper ones, so I downloaded those on the same page that you linked. I am not overclocking anything, and I have not modified the computer whatsoever, so I believe the RAM modules are all of the same type.

So did the machine bsod before or after you updated the drivers and bios?

In this instance it might be worth while trying the driver verifier and see if we can catch the offending driver. Make sure you create a system rescue disk/usb so that you can get back into safe mode to turn the verifier off. This is in case your machine starts blue screening at boot meaning you cannot get into the desktop.
This guide will show you what to do but I'll stress again please make sure you create the rescue disk or USB before hand:
http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2013/09/using-driver-verifier-to-fix-a-blue-screen-of-death/

Cool.. Just send the dump file or files in when you get them. I'll be off to bed shortly but I'll check them asap in the morning. (unless USSNorway has look beforehand) :)

Your very welcome.. Best of luck with the Verifier process.

I ran the driver verifier, and it bluescreened and rebooted about six or seven times. Here are the dump files. I'm not sure what to make of them.

Attachments

• 070715-19562-01.dmp
    313.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 070715-20890-01.dmp
    312.2 KB · Views: 354
  • 070715-22343-01.dmp
    311.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 070715-23093-01.dmp
    312 KB · Views: 309
  • 070715-23296-01.dmp
    312 KB · Views: 321
  • 070715-23640-01.dmp
    312.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 070715-30390-01.dmp
    312 KB · Views: 292
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff80042f72484, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mfeaack.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mfeaack.sys
Probably caused by : mfeaack.sys ( mfeaack+19484 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
out of the dump files you sent in almost all blamed McAfee AV:

mfeaack.sys: McAfee Arbitrary Access Control Driver.

Apart from one dump file which blamed this driver:

Netwbw02.sys: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver - Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter

Please ensure you have disabled the driver verifier.

Try removing the McAfee AV and use the Windows Defender in it's place (McAfee is known for causing the odd issue). Many of us here run Malwarebytes alongside Defender as they don't conflict and work really well together:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

I have a hunch that the Intel wifi driver flagged up because of McAfee but if you find that the machine still blue screens after making the above changes then find the corresponding driver on the machines driver support page and update it if possible:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-14-5458-laptop/drivers
(I just checked and it does look like a later driver is available)

Post any new dump files.

I cannot start windows defender because it gives me an error when I try to start the service, also I cannot set the start type to automatic. It gives me error 577. I have installed Malwarebytes, but I need help with Defender please.

Thank you very much, I am going through the uninstall process now. One last question; do you use the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit?

Back