Windows 8 BSOD While Gaming in Multiple Games

Well...I am still experiencing screen tearing, though I have not recieved a BSOD. I could use some help resolvinh this screen tearing and freezing issue please.

Hmm... Personally I've never tried it but I might give it a go just to see if it helps any. Thanks for the heads up.. :)

As for the screen tearing, do you mean when gaming? Normally if a game is causing a lot of screen tearing then enabling Vsync either via the game or the graphics card control panel.

Freezing can often be attributed to heat. Do you know what temperature your GPU or CPU is hitting whilst gaming? I've known pc's to have higher temps when gaming than some of the free stress testing programs like Prime95 so it's always worth checking.
Use something like this app:
http://www.hwinfo.com/

Try gaming and then 'alt-Tab' out of the game and check what your temps are like. Please post the idle and at stress values.

Another thing we could check is Windows corruption. Find command prompt, right click on it and run as administrator. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

If it comes back with corrupt files it couldn't repair then in the same command box type or copy and paste this:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and again wait for results. This one can take some time so please be patient.

If the above scan is successful then go back and run the first scan again (the sfc one)

Last edited:
I ran the sfc scan and there were no issues, but it does seem that my CPU may be overheating. The temp maximum is 102 C on Core #0 and 96 C on Core #1. It also showed a "Yes" under thermal throttling for Core #0. I just reported what was red because I figured those were the issues.

Wow thats a bit too warm! Try cleaning any vents free of dust. Also if your laptop is out of warranty this youtube video shows how to clean it properly:

If your using it whilst laying on a bed then stop try and use it where the lappie is on a hard surface. To be honest this is something really that you should take up with the place you bought it from. Those temperatures will mean that it will keep on freezing so it does have to be sorted out really.
You can also buy coolers for laptops:
http://laptop-coolers-review.toptenreviews.com/

I have not gotten a BSOD lately, so I believe that issue is resolved, but the overheating issue still persists, so I ordered the Massive TM cooling pad, thank you for asking.

I also just changed my system cooling policy to active, but I don't know if that will help or not. I also put the maximum processor state to 98%? I'm not sure how much 2% will affect it. Any advice?

Actually, I just recieved another BSOD that gave me the error "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" I had just started a match in World of Warships when this occurred.

Hey,
well being as we already know the cpu is getting hot then the above dump file isn't perhaps a surprise. It has two main causes:
This Stop message means that one of two types of problems occurred in kernel-mode, either the kind of condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or catch (a bound trap), or an unrecoverable error. Occasionally, this message can be caused by software problems, but the most common cause is hardware failure. It usually occurs after the installation of faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or in the event that installed hardware fails. Setting the CPU to run at speeds above the rated specification (known as overclocking the CPU) can also cause this error.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854946.aspx

Let's see if the pad you ordered makes a difference.

Hi Luquito,
sorry I didn't advise you about the maximum processor state. I'd be tempted to leave it as the way it was already at 100% although changing the cooling policy to active should give some benefits. I'm afraid your just going to have to monitor the situation for the moment.

I have still been having issues playing games unrelated to overheating.I try to start a match in World of Warships, and I get some vertical lines of distortion and the game freezes. I go to task manager and quit the program (since it is non responsive), then my disk utilization jumps to 100% for a minute or longer, and the program continues to run as a background process. I am uncertain what the issue is. I would appreciate any input.

Thank you.

If the device is under warranty I would return it, 40-50C is normal idle temps and 65-70C while under heavy load. Anything above that and you probably have a defect. Sounds like bad contact between the heat sink and thermal pad/or compound and the CPU. If it's a desktop get some thermal paste and unscrew the heat sink and reapply paste and make sure the heatsink is seated correctly on the CPU. Laptops, same thing but it's usually a bit more involved getting to the heat sink.

I have still been having issues playing games unrelated to overheating.I try to start a match in World of Warships, and I get some vertical lines of distortion and the game freezes. I go to task manager and quit the program (since it is non responsive), then my disk utilization jumps to 100% for a minute or longer, and the program continues to run as a background process. I am uncertain what the issue is. I would appreciate any input.

Lines of distortion and freezing games does sound like a heat issue still. Have you checked what your temps are whilst playing this game? To be honest if your seeing this occur and you still haven't purchased a cooling pad then I'd wait.
Is it possible that my card setup could be causing this issue? Just a thought.
What do you mean by card set-up? Are you overclocking the gpu? If so I'd return to default values.

Can you let me know about the cooling pad thanks.

By card setup I mean since I am running a 920M along with a Intel HD 5500, and I just received my cooling pad and I will test it out in a minute here, thanks.

With the cooling pad, the CPU still reached peak temperatures of 102 and 103 C, but the average seemed to be a bit lower in the 70 to 90 range

Back