Cannot close Hotmail Account. Verification email address doesn't exist

Syex

Extraordinary Member
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this topic, however, I'm at the end of my tether with a certain Hotmail account at the moment. I've been having problems with this for a long time. As a result I decided the account was toast so want to close it. Here's what happens:

1. This is the page I need so I click on 'Change password & more'
screen1.jpg

2. This page appears:
screen2.jpg

3. Followed By:
screen3.jpg

4. And Finally!:
screen4.jpg
5. In order to change that password I have to go back to 'Welcome page, click on 'manage aliases'. If you want to know what happens next go back to top of this thread!

Microsoft/Hotmail W.T.F?! Why? How the hell am I supposed to change an email address if the email address I need to verify the new email address doesn't exist? Why on earth haven't you accounted for the possibility that sometimes email addresses don't always last forever, in this case it's because Lycos shut down for a while and an account I had with them once became toast. I could just leave the account inactive for ever, however, I 'd feel better if I could close it. I don't like leaving things 'hanging' or unfinished if you like.

Would be grateful for any help.

Syex

Last edited:
Still says: Did you request a security info change? when I log in. I still have the above problem.

You can use a hotmail account to comfirm that code, so for example;
1. Open a new (free) hotmail account... send the code for this new account to the old one.
2. Change the old account code to be sent to the new hotmail account, you don't need to send anything to the lycos because the new one is hotmail... just type it in.
3. Sign in to the old hotmail account (let them send you the code to your new account) then close the old account.

p.s. hotmail is American and they want to know everything they can about you... hence the bullshit run-around.

Hi, thanks for reply, however, please re-refer to picture 3 above. I already have another hotmail account, when I type the address in that box I receive a message: 'That doesn't match the alternative email address associated with your account.' There doesn't seem to be any way to fix this. I'm going to have to leave the account open and unused forever.

Getting rid of made addresses can be difficult. I had a somewhat same problem with my YouTube account: my free e-mail disappeared, I didn't notice it, along went my password. heep58 is still available in there.

YouTube was connected to that address, and when I tried to get rid of my username in YouTube, to connect it to a new one, the only thing they could say was: Sorry, we can't help you, because you need your connected address. Well, I couldn't get it done, because the whole site of e-mails was down. All I could do was, leave it. I couldn't get to my YouTube account, as I didn't have the e-mail required, I couldn't change anything, I lost some good friends I had made in past years. I couldn't get a new password for my e-mail account, since all support was gone.

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

All I can say is, Let it be,

Let it disappear. And, I don't agree about "Mother Mary". Not biblical, period. Best wishes to you, Syex.

Checked my old YouTube. I like it as much as to contact them again. Probably I'll contact the Police to get it running. A matter of proof.

Last edited:
Syex; I've found that using a new hot mail, live mail email address resulted in the same endless you are experiencing. What I finally did was open a Google gmail account and had all info of that old hot-live email sent there. After that 30 days it was reset. A big PITA as far as I'm concerned....MS needs to rework that email verification system.

As an alternative, you can use a mobile phone to verify hot-live mail accounts.....or close them. Way less painless and almost instantly the changes have taken effect.

Syex; I've found that using a new hot mail, live mail email address resulted in the same endless you are experiencing.
Did you use firefox? By default, firefox will not have two hotmail email accounts open at the same time and that can cause this issue... the work around is to open a new private window ([ctrl]+[shift]+[p]) then use that to open the new | other email account and do the verify.

Did you use firefox? By default, firefox will not have two hotmail email accounts open at the same time and that can cause this issue... the work around is to open a new private window ([ctrl]+[shift]+[p]) then use that to open the new | other email account and do the verify.

I did not know that with FF, good to know and thanks. And Yes I was using FF, it's my primary browser of choice. With regards to the MS closing/changing email address, it's a PITA and the 30 day wait period sucks no matter what browser you're using. Unless you use a mobile phone #, with out that mobile # that 30 day wait period seems like for ever....

@ bassfisher: It's nothing to do with having 2 hotmail accounts open. I never have 2 hotmail accounts open at the same time. Thanks all the same.
Pauli: I'm convinced Microsoft doesn't want me to close the particular account as I've managed to give it an alternative email address to verify the account now it's saying wait 30 days before I can do anything. Not the first time that has happened! This loop has been going on for about a year. The steps I've taken to try and delete the account in the past are so convoluted I doubt even Mr Spock would remember the steps I took to get that far. I may have to leave the account hanging for ever. Why the F* do I have to wait 30 F***ing days!? For nothing to happen anyway!

The 30 days is just a defence against me hacking your email account and telling hotmail that I want to delete this account please... I agree that their system needs looking at but I have clossed one old work account, and once changed my windows account to point to a different email (both times with hotmail accounts) and the 30 days didn't cause any stress.

Hope it works out for you Syex.

I've given up with it. At least I managed to re-direct everyone to a new email address that used that account.

A word of comfort, if you can accept, not trying to sound wise guy, but sometimes life isn't a straight line without bumps and dead ends. As much as I hate it, with the five year old boy still within me, life is a labyrinth of must and may not. It's proven, sometimes one just has to raise one's arms and admit, Cannot but surrender.

All the very best.

It works now! I can log in. I've even got the option to delete the account - after 100 mouse clicks doing various things. I kind of don't want to now it's allowed me to, I'll keep it on ice for a while.

Sometimes it's click-clack, today I got a note there is an update, I installed it, and got a new update for 13 important ones. It stopped at the 3rd update, after waiting for an hour I restarted my computer, via Reset because Windows wouldn't shut down, went into Safemode and Restore... got an answer that "Computer couldn't be restored". But Windows started, and I got the updates finally. Writing this with the result.

Sometimes it takes sweat and toil.

Glad you seem to have it fixed.

Back