Windows 7 Cannot connect with wireless

lucasrato

I've read some threads but none solved my problem...

My notebook is an ASUS G53SX - A1 with an Atheros AR9002WB-1NG wireless card. I was able to connect with a cable.

When i try to connect wireless i can see the network and even it's strength but when i try to connect i get the message "windows was unable to connect to xxxxxx network". the driver are up to date and i can connect with other laptops to the same network.

Any ideas? please help!!!

Lucas

Last edited:
I can't remember exactly what messages are shown for what reasons, but is the router set to only allow certain MAC addresses? Does it use any encryption and do you use the same?

Can you ping the router? Are you using the same workgroup name, and does that computer use a password to sign in and does your user have an account on the other systems?

Have you got your wireless card set to automatically get an IP address?

Goto command prompt and enter the following command:

ipconfig /all

and look to see what IP address the wireless card has.

I can't remember exactly what messages are shown for what reasons, but is the router set to only allow certain MAC addresses? Does it use any encryption and do you use the same?

Can you ping the router? Are you using the same workgroup name, and does that computer use a password to sign in and does your user have an account on the other systems?

No router i treid was set to filter using MAC adresses. As for the encryption i tried with wep, wap, wap2 and none.. nothing worked,,

i think i cannot ping it, at least wirelessly. i used ipconfig/all without the cable and no ip showed up, what's very odd because i can see the wireless network

didn`t understand the workgroup stuff... i`m kinda dum you see...

Last edited:
Have you got your wireless card set to automatically get an IP address?

Goto command prompt and enter the following command:

ipconfig /all

and look to see what IP address the wireless card has.

teoricaly yes, but when i get do cmd and tipe iconfig/all i find that my card has no ip adress, just the mac adress (6 pairs of numbers) maybe i did not set the wireless card to get an ip auto..

looked again and i did, but to be sure, it`s just: Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings -> wireless properties -> set to ipv4 and then properties-> set to auto ip and dns..???

Yes that should be it - that will try to obtain an address using dhcp - provided that your router has dhcp on (it probably has as that is the default). ipconfig should be showing some IP address for your wireless adapter even if not a valid one. Can you show us what information is listed by ipconfig?

Yes that should be it - that will try to obtain an address using dhcp - provided that your router has dhcp on (it probably has as that is the default). ipconfig should be showing some IP address for your wireless adapter even if not a valid one. Can you show us what information is listed by ipconfig?

this is wired connected:
imagem.png

and with no cable
imagem2.png

do you need the tunnel adapters' information??

Last edited:
Check that the adapter shows as ok in device manager. If it does, try removing it from device manager, rebooting and letting Windows reinstall it.

Hello Lucas and welcome to the forum.
Go here Drivers for Atheros AR9002WB and Windows 7 click the small "Click for Download" button in the framed box for the 9.2.0.113 version driver.
Put it in a new folder on your desktop and use 7zip or your preferred extractor to unzip the archive.
Open device manager, expand network adapters, select then right click the Atheros ar9002wb adapter and choose properties.
Select the Driver tab and then the Update Driver button
'then Browse my computer
then Let me pick
then have disk button
then click browse and navigate to the folder where you have downloaded and extracted the file mentioned above.
Haven't noticed whether you're running 32 or 64 bit version, but just know that
netathr.inf is the 32 bit version
and
netathrx.inf is the 64 bit version
just double click which ever one is appropriate for your install and OK and Next until finished and reboot.
See if that helps at all with your current issue.
Also for testing purposes consider briefly running the wireless router open (none) just to make sure that you can connect and then go back and experiment with WEP and or WPA. Also consider another channel which sometimes helps.

Check that the adapter shows as ok in device manager. If it does, try removing it from device manager, rebooting and letting Windows reinstall it.

it said ~device is working properly~ then i uninstalled and rebooted. after that, windows installed the drivers again... still no connection.. still "not able to connect!"

Hello Lucas and welcome to the forum.
Go here Drivers for Atheros AR9002WB and Windows 7 click the small "Click for Download" button in the framed box for the 9.2.0.113 version driver.
Put it in a new folder on your desktop and use 7zip or your preferred extractor to unzip the archive.
Open device manager, expand network adapters, select then right click the Atheros ar9002wb adapter and choose properties.
Select the Driver tab and then the Update Driver button
'then Browse my computer
then Let me pick
then have disk button
then click browse and navigate to the folder where you have downloaded and extracted the file mentioned above.
Haven't noticed whether you're running 32 or 64 bit version, but just know that
netathr.inf is the 32 bit version
and
netathrx.inf is the 64 bit version
just double click which ever one is appropriate for your install and OK and Next until finished and reboot.
See if that helps at all with your current issue.
Also for testing purposes consider briefly running the wireless router open (none) just to make sure that you can connect and then go back and experiment with WEP and or WPA. Also consider another channel which sometimes helps.

did it..same problem though

PS: it`s 64 bit

Last edited:
Any chance there is an International Wireless channel situation involved? Do you know what channel your router is using?

Edit: I see Trouble mentioned changing channels--that should take care of that situation....

Last edited:
Is the wireless router involved yours, do you own it or is it supplied by your Service Provider. Do you have the documentation that comes with the router which should include information about adding a new node to an existing wireless network?
Can you supply the Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number and Revision Number of the wireless router you are using?
If it is supplied by your provider, have you contacted them to see if they can provide any information that may help?

Any chance there is an International Wireless channel situation involved? Do you know what channel your router is using?

Edit: I see Trouble mentioned changing channels--that should take care of that situation....

that's possible, but then i would have to change the channel in every router i would like to connect?? or would i change the channel in the wireless card?

Is the wireless router involved yours, do you own it or is it supplied by your Service Provider. Do you have the documentation that comes with the router which should include information about adding a new node to an existing wireless network?
Can you supply the Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number and Revision Number of the wireless router you are using?
If it is supplied by your provider, have you contacted them to see if they can provide any information that may help?

It's mine and i have documentation.. i'll look for something.
D-Link DIR-300, what's revison number?

Changed the channel.. it worked!!! it was in channel 6.. (it was supposed to work) then i changed the channel and it worked.. i tried all encryptions and it works.. Thanks everybody!!! For anyone having a similar problem follow all suggestions in this toppic, your problem is likely to be solved by one of those!!! mine dosen't make a lot of sense to me yet but... well it's solved!! THANK YOU GUYS!!!

Back