Windows 7 Can't Backup ...fails every time

sargan

Extraordinary Member
Although originally working, now W7 backup will not work.
I am running 32bit Ultimate

I have emptied the backup drive,started a whole new backup - the back up starts ... runs to about 80% of progress bar ... then fails with message Backup failed to complete.

The error code is ox81000015

This says that Windows could not zip a file ... and to remove any of 3 listed programs ... none of which I have installed.
To be safe I also removed 7zip (even though not listed) another 2 Hr attempt and again fails.

Anybody any idea how to resolve ? ... W7 was supposed to be better at backup compared to Vista
sad.gif

I have always considered backup too important a function to rely on anything but what I consider to be the best with a full range of features and a proven track record. For me this means Acronis True Image. You can download a fully working trial and I recommend it.

Not used Acronis, is it a straight image copy? In which case I would not have enough space to
create backups.
Or does it only backup what is necessary?
Also are the next updates incremental changes only, or whole disk each time?

Windows keep a log of the Backup operations. If you go to the Event Viewer, Windows logs, Application, do you show any Windows Backup entries and do they give any indication of what might be wrong.

I also found this reference, which seems to be relevant.

"0x81000015" error message when you back up files in Windows 7

That KB was the one I mentioned in OP .. that said remove any of 3 listed apps ... none of which I have listed.

I looked in event viewer ... says the same error code ... with extra comment that drive windows is installed on does not have enough free space - needs at least 400MB ....windows is on a 350GB partition with 196GB free .. so loads more space than needed.

Important that it is complaining about source drive not destination.

Last edited:
Not used Acronis, is it a straight [COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]image [/FONT][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]copy[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]? In which case I would not have enough space to
create backups.
Or does it only backup what is necessary?
Also are the next updates incremental changes only, or whole disk each time?
It produces an image which may be compressed (typically giving up to about 50% compression). It is also good practice to limit your system drive to the op sys and installed apps, keeping all user data on a separate drive/partition. This way your system drive should never be more than about 40gb limiting your system image to about 20gb. Incremental updates are just one of the many features in ATI. See here for more info:

Acronis backup software and recovery services in UK. Backup and restore system software and PC system utilities for Windows and Linux OSs

So you are doing a backup consisting of just the files, or System image and files, or just System image?

If you are doing the files, since you can choose what to backup, maybe some folder/file is causing the problem. You could try skipping certain areas to see if it would complete and narrow it down later.

Do you have your backups scheduled?

You have a very large partition for Windows, what size is the drive the partition is on? But I think Windows uses copies of your data to make the backups, so it needs room to keep those. From what you say about available space, it does not appear to be limited, so maybe something has become corrupted.

Edit: Since you have already run a System File Check, perhaps you might consider a Chkdsk in case there is some file corruption.

Last edited:
With regard to Saltgrass, delete any old backups, then make a new one. There's also been some reports about hardware related issues with backups, you could check "your homepage", but I don't know how seriously that is to be taken.

And P.S. There's nothing like a proper handmade safety copy. Pick your material, burn it on a DVD or copy it to a USB disk. There it stands. Automation doesn't solve all problems, some things are still best done manually. Cheers.

Back