Windows 10 Can't boot up anymore

Vetral32

Before you read, I am very sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I didn't know what section to use. I am also very sorry if this is too long.

So the other day I went to go and develop an application. So I turn on my computer, and my headphones aren't connecting. I hit the restart button and it just gets stuck on the restart screen. I manually shut the whole thing off and turn it back on. It pops up saying 'Installing updates'. I got annoyed because I turned off updated 3 different ways and it still forced updated. Also I didn't want to update because I updated to that one before and I couldn't log into my account. I hit the power button on the bottom-right corner, held shift, and pressed restart. In the recovery menu I pressed on the 'Go back to previous build' button. I waited. Eventually I looked back at my computer and realized it restarted. After the restart, there was a black screen. A command-prompt opened up and then in less than a second, it closed. Then on the bottom-center of my screen said something like 'Going back to previous build' for like 2 seconds. It restarted again and did the same thing over and over. I inserted a DVD of Windows 10 to try to access the recovery menu. When I tried to click on System Restore, it said 'Select which operating you would like to use before using system restore'. I also tried to fix startup issues, and it said it found no problems. I press 'Go back to previous build' again and it wouldn't let me. I also used 'chkdsk /f C:' and 'sfc /scannow' but no luck. Something I forgot to mention is that at the beginning of the recovery, it said 'Upgrade is in progress and you accidentally opened the recovery'. When I boot up the recovery in UEFI (because some people told me to) there was a select operating system. It showed in the 1st slot something without text. In the next 5 slots showed 'Windows 10'. I have no idea why 5 Windows 10s are on the same drive. Can anyone help me with this? There is no way to fix this because I tried everything.

-Mike M

Sorry I forgot to say which version of Windows I am on. I'm on Anniversary Update / 1607

I would boot into the recovery console and run
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Did you change from legacy to UEFI boot or vice versa? If you did put it back to what it was originally.

So UEFI didn’t do anything. I swapped back and this happened

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 307
If the image is upside down for some reason, this is what it says:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

X:\Sources>bootrec /fixboot
The operation completed successfully.

X:\Sources>bootrec /rebuildbcd
Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A):A
The requested system device cannot be found.

The letter assignments are logical so they can change in the recovery console or usb boot.
You can type
  • diskpart
  • list vol
  • See what letter is assigned to your windows partiton (often it will just be the biggest one and Info should say Boot)
Then run the following command. Lets assume the boot partition was assigned a different letter such as D
bcdboot D:\Windows /s C:

I'm running recovery from a CD/DVD. Also when I type C: and then type dir, I get shown all the files in my Windows Installation drive.

I would do a install over the other. You can choose the 'Keep Apps and Data', so you shouldn't lose anything.

So if I boot into CD/DVD of Windows 10, there will be an option to 'Keep Apps and Data'? I'm only making sure because the entire point of this forum post was to make sure I wouldn't have to start all the way back from the beginning.

Yes it does. This option will take a lot less time then combing every setting to figure out what's wrong.
win10setup.PNG

Back
Top Bottom