Windows 7 Can't connect to the Internet - DNS is not responding

Sdbuilt

Hello, I am not sure what is going on but I cannot connect to the Internet and Windows Network Diagnostics says that the DNS sever is not responding. I have it set to obtain an IP address and a DNS server automatically... Still doesn't work.

If you want me to tell you what ipconfig/all says please tell me exactly what you are looking for because I am doing this on my phone through 3G and I have no way to copy and paste.

Also, this happened when I had an iPad in transferring music, and I unplugged my Internet wireless adapter and plugged it into a different USB port, or at least I think that is when it happened. At any rate I got a message saying something about an IP address conflict which I did not pay much attention to.

One other detail is that it is not just my computer that can't connect. My iPhone and my friends iPad that I had plugged in so I could transfer music from my iTunes to his iPad cannot connect either..

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
A full ipconfig would be most be helpful and you should be able to do that by saving the ipconfig output to a file, transferring the file your phone and sending it from there. You can save ipconfig output to a file as follows:

ipconfig /all > desktop\ipconfig.txt

If there is still some problem doing that then the entries which are most important are:

IPv4 address
default gateway
dhcp server
dns servers

A full ipconfig would be most be helpful and you should be able to do that by saving the ipconfig output to a file, transferring the file your phone and sending it from there. You can save ipconfig output to a file as follows:

ipconfig /all > desktop\ipconfig.txt

If there is still some problem doing that then the entries which are most important are:

IPv4 address
default gateway
dhcp server
dns servers

i actually have no way of getting a file from my computer onto my phone right now. However the last three are all 192.168.2.1 while the ipv4 is 192.168.2.2 <preferred>. Also keep in mind that none of my devices can connect to the Internet and I edited my original post to give a little more context..

An IP address conflict suggests that a device may have had an IP address set manually which is conflicting with another. It may help to do a reset on your router to try and eliminate any such IP address problems. The router will usually have a pinhole somewhere inwhich to insert a pointed object to execute a reset.

Back