Windows 7 change the appearance of desktop so it's more like Windows XP

wfz

This is a company PC with desktop settings like Windows XP I used to for a few years. I explored the options and changed the desktop background when some of the settings changed that I'd like to revert back.
1. The menu bar becomes gray and with bigger height than it was before. I like the old classic menu bar on top because it uses least amount of space. I don't need the transparency either.
2. The icons on desktop has white box when selected. I'd like to remove that.
3. roll over the bottom such as the icon showing the open folders becomes thumbnails of open folders instead of folder name. I found it blocking my view and harder to select a folder to open.
4. There was a show desktop at the right edge of the bottom menu but it's not working any more. I can only turn on and off on Use Aero Peek to preview the desktop. I like the show desktop button like it was before. This is less important as I can use Window-D to do the same.

Where are the settings to get the old functions back?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Last edited:
The advanced system properties: Performance shows Adjust for best performance but actually not. After check another one and click on "Adjust for best performance" again, it puts the interface back to the previous setting.

2 more things:
1. How do you turn off all the audios relating to any actions on desktop and inside applications. It's kind of annoying.
2. How do you turn off the menu below the top the menu with items such as Organize, Include in Library, Share with, Burn, and New folder?

Thanks,

The advanced system properties: Performance shows Adjust for best performance but actually not. After check another one and click on "Adjust for best performance" again, it puts the interface back to the previous setting.

I'll look into this later on today and get back to you.

1. How do you turn off all the audios relating to any actions on desktop and inside applications. It's kind of annoying.

Attahced are images showing you. Click the audio icon next to the clock and then click "mixer" where you will have individual control on open application's audio.

2. How do you turn off the menu below the top the menu with items such as Organize, Include in Library, Share with, Burn, and New folder?

I don't think you can. If it's very important to you, I can research later today to see if there is some registry hack for this.

mixer1.jpgmixer2.jpg

Well, that makes sense. "Adjust for best performance" is set to use Windows 7 themes for the best performance possible.

It cahnged the settings that the system wasn't adjust for best performance anymore, but the system still shows "Adjust for best performance". That fooled me in the first place.

Thank you all for the help,

Back