Windows Vista Clearing the cached Desktop Background Browse Filename List?

U

Unregistered

Clearing the cached Desktop Background Browse Filename List...?

If I right-click on the background, choose Personalize, choose Desktop Background, click Browse, click on the drop-down arrow on the right side of the Filename box ... a list of files display that you can choose from. Given what I see in the list, this information is cached somewhere and it's a slightly different list depending on what account I'm logged in as. It displays files that no longer exist on my system.

I want to clear this cached list of files so nothing shows when I or others browse for new background wallpaper files or videos. Does anybody know how to do this?

Thanks!

Hmm..... That drop down list should show things like 'Desktop', 'Documents','Pictures' in fact all the folders relating to the person logged in at that time. When you click on 'My Computer' the list on the left-hand side should more or less the same... Unless you mean some other files I shouldn't delete any of these folders for obvious reasons.

Sounds like you are describing the Favorites List on the lefthand side of that window. I'm talking about using the drop-down for the Filename input box in that Browse window. Once I click on that, there's a good 20 files in the list, all of which are old and no longer on my system. They seem to be files I've downloaded months ago from the internet. Does your system not exhibit the same behavior?

Thanks again!

Hi, I thought I'd include a screenshot...

picture now lost due to archiving

As you can see my list does not contain any folders which should not be there... Could you post a screenshot too?

Sorry, can't figure out how to post a screenshot - maybe I need to register to be able to post that?

On your screenshot, I'm not talking about the Folder list to the left ... rather the cached list of files shows when you click on the drop-down list in the File name input box. In your screenshot, click on the drop-down just to the left of where the file type of 'All Picture Files' ... it's at the rightside of the File name input box. See what I mean? There are 25 files listed on my system that no longer exist. Are there filenames pre-populated in your list? I can't be unique in this - if mine are cached so would be other systems like yours or there's some type of corruption on mine (which I don't believe is the case).

Thanks for your feedback!

The soloution to the original post lies in editing the Registry entries to delete the custom picture locations from the browsing list. See here for the details:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

A nuisance to have to go to all that bother - so perhaps Microsoft will provide an update means of more easily deleting other than the default (original) Wallpaper sources??

Mike

Back
Top Bottom