Windows 7 Connected to Router but no access to internet

jay-z

I just bought a toshiba satellite with windows 7 factory installed. It has a realtek 8191SE card and I'm not able to get into the internet through my linksys wireless G router. I have no issues with XP on my desktop and I'm unable to access my router through IP adress to update firmware if that's the issue. The error I get is "wireless Network connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. DHCP is enabled on the router.
Side note: I'm not able to connect with Cat5 cable directly to cable modem, I get the same problem.
I've noticed similar problems on many forums but could not find any answer that worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let's set the wireless problem aside for a moment and address a hardwired connection with cat5 cable direct to the Linksys Wireless G router. What does that type of connection produce.

There are no ports on router, have to connect directly to cable modem port. And that produces the same result, "invalid IP configuration".

I have ACER ASPIRE 5536, network adapter is atheros AR5B91 ,actually i have the same problem (or I maybe even could say ''had'',coz i'm not sure if the one i have now ,is the same '' . I had win 7 beta version in June,July, all was oke, installed this 7600 ultimate , the same wireless don't work,althought it works perfect through my other asus laptop. Sometimes I had your problem ''doesn't have a valid IP configuration'',but this was not only to wireless, and luckily in 80% windows fixed this IP problem with itself ..

now my problem is '' connected,but limited access''
I tried all drivers for atheros ar5b91, i don't know where the problem is
sorry for my english, it is not my 1st language.

There are no ports on router, have to connect directly to cable modem port. And that produces the same result, "invalid IP configuration".
You have a linksys wireless g router with no switch ports? OK, what model is it by the way. Is the XP machine connecting wirelessly, I was going to suggest, you use if for a possible firmware update, but you never want to do a firmware update using wireless. What's the model number on the Linksys.

The model number is WAP54G and it's version 3. Yes the XP machine is connected wirelessly, I was going to try a firmware update (as wireless is my only option) but I can't even access it through my browser anymore for some reason.

That's an AP (access point) not a router. So now I see what's up. Can you tell me what type of encryption you are using. I know that sometimes, Win7 has trouble with WEP and will work better with WPA and according to Linksys's site your AP is capable of WPA, however if you would try just running it open temporarily for testing purposes you can try that. I see on their site that Linksys makes reference to Win 2k and Win XP but I didn't see anything referring to Win7. Try adjusting the encryption and post back.

Your right it is an AP, it tend to confuse the two sometimes. But it is using WPA encryption currently.

access point aside, why would I get the same problem with the cable modem with a direct link?

Not sure what your using from you ISP, but there could be a couple reasons. One, an ISPs like verizon lease DHCP for 2hours at a time, so unless you release your DHCP server lease that your AP has (and sometimes that doesn't even work) and then plug in your laptop, you may have to wait as long as 2 hours for a new DHCP leased IP Address. Two, some ISPs require PPPoE information to be embedded into a device like AT&T, so to get a reliable connection from them you would have to enter, your username and password into the connection properties. And three, back in the old days ISP connections were sometimes MAC address specific so that may or may not be an issue. There's probably more, just can't think of them right now, but you might consider investing in a real wireless router and easy some of the stress. Have you perchance contact Toshiba, if this is a new laptop and it must be if it came with Win7 pre-installed, they may have some insight regarding your current problem. And finally, have you taken this laptop anywhere else to see if it can connect to another wireless network source.

Back