Windows 7 Dell Inspiron 2305 will not boot

One last thought regarding this catastrophic failure. Is there any way to get at at the backups I diligently made on my external drive? What if I loaded the files on to my laptop. Any chance in hell that would work? Thanks.

The data is most likely fine, you would just need to pull the hard drive and copy the data over.

I have read that - pull the drive and attach it to another system. Just not sure how to attach it. An enclosure is usually mentioned. Don't know what that means. How does the drive connect? Is it a usb connection? Anyway, will be more than happy to try that -- just not confident of how to do so. Thanks again.

t sounds like this connects directly with usb to laptop and there is no enclosure, yes? Also, I read on Amazon link you so kindly provided it is for 2.5" drives. I think that we replaced the hard drive last year with a Seagate which is 3.5". The recommendation from StarTech is to use the following: USB3SSATAIDE (ASIN: B00D76J1KO. This is for 3.5" drives.

So I just open the 2305, remove the HD and connect it to this. This laptop where I will be transferring contents is not too swift (clunky and slow) but it does get me up and running - photo editing, internet surf, printing etc. Thanks again.

You can get connects that work with both. They should have the same interface, but 3.5" will require additional power.

"You can get connects that work with both." I hate to keep bugging you about all of this but I'm a real non tech. I am not sure what that connects sentence means. Maybe I should just get the one that says 3.5" hd. Since I'm not sure what you are saying.... StarTech has tech support - I could call them and get some guidance if need be.

After that I just need a pc with more power to make it work. BJ's has a Dell Inspiron 24 3000 All-In-One Desktop, Intel Pentium N3700 Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive. Would that work? Doesn't have a great processor but for what I do should be ok. Anyway, thanks again for all your help.

Got it running!! PS not the problem as you had indicated it might not be. Took it apart and after watching numerous utubes about amber light problem, a guy named Shawn presented a detailed look at what to do to fix. Followed his instructions and after a $7.00 investment in thermal paste, a few dollars on a cmos battery, we did it!!! Well, actually my partner did it - wow. Cleaned everything up, heated up parts he indicated, reapplied paste and this morning there it was -- "starting windows"... very good feeling. Now, one question I do have - the HDD light keeps blinking - is that a problem? Also, thanks again.

Thanks. We were determined. After all of the messing we did with the innards, is there any need to update the bios. One guy in a video said when the cmos battery is changed, that should happen. I tried it yesterday and the line referring to bios looked greyed out.

is there any need to update the bios
Hmm... Not unless your having major issues. If the machine is running fine then best left well alone.

As you've added a new CMOS battery I'd look for a setting within the bios called 'Optimised Defaults' and set it to that. This will ensure that your on the best settings for your device.

Hmm... Not unless your having major issues. If the machine is running fine then best left well alone.

As you've added a new CMOS battery I'd look for a setting within the bios called 'Optimised Defaults' and set it to that. This will ensure that your on the best settings for your device.
please how to add a new CMOS battery
I did not find in the bios the parameter called "Optimized default values" I do not know why but I think there is a problem in the version of bios

Hi Rossi. Welcome to the forum.
This thread is spefically aimed at trying to help a member with his problem.
It would be better for you, and more helpful, if you started a new thread with your request. Make sure you specify your exact computer model.

Back