Windows 10 Email - Edge Converting PDF to .dat

WEC

Yesterday Microsoft downloaded Windows 10 anniversary update. Since then, when I email a pdf file, the recipient opens the file and it is converted by Edge to a .dat file - which can't be opened by the recipient. I sending mail by Outlook 10, HTML Format, and I check the properties of the PDF file to be sure it is opened by Acrobat. How do I correct this issue so that the file is not converted at the receiver's end to a .dat file when opened.
Thanks for any help.
WEC

This sounds like the attachment is being removed during transport that is typically when you will see a .dat file attached on the receiving end. Have them verify they are receiving a pdf and not a dat file.

This sounds like the attachment is being removed during transport that is typically when you will see a .dat file attached on the receiving end. Have them verify they are receiving a pdf and not a dat file.

Thank you for your post.
The recipient receives a pdf file. When opening it, the recipient receives a Microsoft Edge message that it is being converted to a .dat file.
WEC

Well there isn't anything you can do, the issue is on their end. They can try and install Adobe Reader.

I don't know about that. The recipient is using an apple computer which does not use Edge. Somehow, the Edge message is being sent with the PDF file from my end and the file is being converted by Edge to .dat on the recipient's computer. (The recipient does have Adobe reader installed.)

It's something on their end they will need to work through. Microsoft Edge has nothing to do with the issue and it's not possible that your computer has any involvement in the file being converted. It's going to be an Apple issue.

Neemo's right. Our forum is primarily for folks using Windows and Linux computers; be we have some familiarity with Apple systems. It would be helpful to know which Mac, iPad, or iBook you and your recipient has along with which version of IOS each computer is running. Furthermore, are you or your recipient running Bootcamp or some sort of Virtual Machine on either of the Apple computers you have (sender/receiver machines) such as VMware, or VM-hyperbox, or similar?

Getting all the information about problems like this up front is like pulling teeth; it's really hard for us to guess all the parameters of your system without you telling us. We are not there and cannot physically see your equipment, settings, apps, configurations, etc.:scratch:

Also, there is no such thing as "Outlook 10" as you mention. There is W10 Native Mail (this looks like Outlook but is not a separate program that you pay Microsoft for to run (as Outlook 2010, part of Office 2010). It would be helpful to know exactly what your recipient has running on his computer.:question:

Finally, if he is using W10 Native Mail (the built-in E-mail app in W10 that replaced Windows Live Mail (WLM)), and you are using Outlook 2010 or similar (older or newer version of Outlook such as Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2013/2016), I'd suggest you install one of these versions of Outlook on your recipient's computer. If it works, you've fixed it! :up:

You should also be aware that W10 Native Mail, if that's what your friend is using, is a stripped down version of earlier Windows E-mail systems and has many features and capabilities removed from it (such as Delivery Reciepts, and Group Lists), and may be causing this particular problem.:andwhat:

We haven't done complete testing on the newest AU September Microsoft update's effect on all the different types of E-mail clients on the PC platform let alone on the Apple platform and all their devices, especially given the several different ways you can run virtual machine or emulation software on Apple computers with W10.:worry: I personally don't have any of these, and therefore can't and don't spend the time to test these particular types of problems. Hopefully, some of our other Techs who do, can chime in and make some suggestions.

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom