Windows 7 Explorer now freezing

ChazzK

Thank you for the help with my prior topic, but a new issue has arisen.

I walked away from my computer for a while. When I got back, Chrome had frozen up, and it was so bad I couldn't even get Task Manager opened nor explorer responding in general. The other couple of windows I had open were still able to respond and close properly, mouse and keyboard were working, but Explorer was just done. It didn't even show the tabs disappear as the windows closed.

I've already run both the windows Chkdsk and Western Digital diagnostic on my drives, they came up clean. Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot S&D and my Avast! antivirus, THEY all came up clean. I've also run system-file-checker, sfc /scannow, and got that fixed.

Hi,

Are you talking about Windows Explorer (file management app) or MS Internet Explorer(IE) the Browser? If it's IE, that's a very common symptom of virus/malware infection (you checked that using good tools it appears), or further Windows system file corruption. Sometimes even if hardware is ok, Windows just can't be repaired with software tools, and you may have to bite the bullet and perform a Windows reinstallation or Windows Reset as we call it in the biz.

Often, when 1 or 2 browsers go, Windows is seriously ill and needs to be refreshed or reset. You could download firefox or safari for windows and try those too-if they are also broken; most likely your Windows needs to be reinstalled.

If you have factory Recovery discs for your PC handy or can make them with DVD blank discs using your PC's built-in tool such as DELL MEDIA CREATOR, or use the built-in Recovery Partition which is on most modern computers built since 2009.

Just remember to MAKE SURE TO BACKUP ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA PRIOR TO REINSTALLING WINDOWS FIRST!! I'M SURE YOU KNOW THIS BUT IT'S A MANDATORY CAUTION FOR OBVIOUS REASONS--IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS WILL OCCUR UPON REINSTALLATION OF WINDOWS!!

Another thing you should do is to make sure you don't have any Rootkit viruses hiding in the hidden partitions of your hard drive; the tools you mention you used don't check for this. Go to trendmicro.com and go to Cleanup & Prevention tools and download ROOTKIT BUSTER and check this before the Windows reinstallation. If you have one of these and can clean it, you may be able to fix your browsers.

Good luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back