Windows 8 File Explorer Freezing

Cody Kaspers

Hi,

Since I have recently installed Windows 8 I have only had 1 real issue with it which is the following: Every once in a while my Explorer will freeze up and after 5 minutes orso it responds again and executes whatever commands I gave it while frozen.

I don't know if it is specific software causing this or not and I don't know where to check for the cause.

This is a clean install, not an upgrade so I will not reinstall it again unless it is the final option. Basically when it freezes I am unable to use any windows as they all freeze up and the taskbar will not respond either. I also noticed when I had iTunes open that the music stopped playing even though it was not paused or stopped, it simply froze.

The last time it happened I was playing a game and was still able to alt tab back into the game, which continued working totally fine. After I finished my game everything was responding again.

I am thinking that iTunes is the cause of it, but I can remember once occasion where it was not opened and I was just copying some files and browsing my disks when it suddenly froze for around 3-5 minutes.

I have updated all my drivers from the manufacturer's websites and all my devices work, nothing weird appears in Device Manager either. I have also already run sfc /scannow and it found nothing.

Any ideas?

On a seperate note: Why does logging in with Facebook force you to use your real name? I would think I could create a username somewhere...

Hi Cody,

Could you post your computer spec as well as the install method used.

Kemical,

Below are my specs (nothing is overclocked), let me know if anything is missing from the list.

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K (cooled by a Corsair H100)
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600MHz G.Skill Ripjaws X
HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 & WD 1TB (I don't know the model name)
GPU: EVGA GTX580 3072MB SLI
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000W

As for my install method, I'm not sure what you mean. I formatted my 2 SSDs from the Windows 8 installer and then installed it. I didn't format the 1TB disk because it contains nothing but raw data, it's not used for any system functions at all.

On a side note, I noticed something very strange in device manager... See below:

Untitled.png

EDIT: The only thing I have not updated is the firmware for my SSDs, normally this should not cause any issues as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update Cody. May I ask, is the bios updated to the latest version (with some boards this is crucial for win 8) and judging from what you wrote I assume you installed from Disk? If you burnt the iso, how fast was it burnt?

Sorry to butt in here, but I'd like to comment on SSD's:

SSD firmware issues were a huge cause of BSOD's in Win7 systems.
I'd suggest:
1) Updating the firmware
2) Updating the storage controller drivers on your mobo to 2012 versions
3) DO NOT use the Marvell controller if your Asus board has one - IME the drivers aren't updated enough to work with SSD's

@Kemical,

I updated by BIOS to the newest version about 3 days ago (after installing win 8 if that matters). And yes I installed from a RW DVD which I burnt at 4x speed. However I also ordered the backup DVD from Microsoft which I currently have as well.

@Usasma,

I never had any issues with them in Windows 7, the firmware version is 2.15 and the newest is 2.25 according to the website and I am not receiving any BSOD just random 5 minute freezes of Explorer.
All my motherboard drivers are up to date and I don't use the Marvell controller for the exact reason you stated, I think I even have it disabled.

@Both,

Today I had another issue pop up, when booting the system froze on the Windows loading screen (the blue tiles with the dots that go around in a circle) basically the dots stopped moving and nothing happened, after I reset it it booted up fine.

I'm beginning to think my only option is to update both my SSDs and do a clean install using the backup DVD, and I'm afraid you guys will agree.

Windows 8 has only frozen on me once and I suspect it was the printer driver, as I was attempting to print. Unlike NVidia who was ready with a Windows 8 driver on release, Epson has been slow to offer a Windows 8 driver, they say the one for 7 should work but the print quality is terrible. So I have to print from my smart phone when I can to get decent print LOL it's crazy. Though I can tell that drivers even for 8 need to be tweaked still, Things I did on Windows 7 with no problem and great performance, do not do as well on Win 8. Well okay I'm HOPING that the slower performance is the drivers needing work...and not Windows 8.

Hi,

Since I have recently installed Windows 8 I have only had 1 real issue with it which is the following: Every once in a while my Explorer will freeze up and after 5 minutes orso it responds again and executes whatever commands I gave it while frozen.

I don't know if it is specific software causing this or not and I don't know where to check for the cause.

This is a clean install, not an upgrade so I will not reinstall it again unless it is the final option. Basically when it freezes I am unable to use any windows as they all freeze up and the taskbar will not respond either. I also noticed when I had iTunes open that the music stopped playing even though it was not paused or stopped, it simply froze.

The last time it happened I was playing a game and was still able to alt tab back into the game, which continued working totally fine. After I finished my game everything was responding again.

I am thinking that iTunes is the cause of it, but I can remember once occasion where it was not opened and I was just copying some files and browsing my disks when it suddenly froze for around 3-5 minutes.

I have updated all my drivers from the manufacturer's websites and all my devices work, nothing weird appears in Device Manager either. I have also already run sfc /scannow and it found nothing.

Any ideas?

On a seperate note: Why does logging in with Facebook force you to use your real name? I would think I could create a username somewhere...

@Kemical,

I updated by BIOS to the newest version about 3 days ago (after installing win 8 if that matters). And yes I installed from a RW DVD which I burnt at 4x speed. However I also ordered the backup DVD from Microsoft which I currently have as well.

@Usasma,

I never had any issues with them in Windows 7, the firmware version is 2.15 and the newest is 2.25 according to the website and I am not receiving any BSOD just random 5 minute freezes of Explorer.
All my motherboard drivers are up to date and I don't use the Marvell controller for the exact reason you stated, I think I even have it disabled.

@Both,

Today I had another issue pop up, when booting the system froze on the Windows loading screen (the blue tiles with the dots that go around in a circle) basically the dots stopped moving and nothing happened, after I reset it it booted up fine.

I'm beginning to think my only option is to update both my SSDs and do a clean install using the backup DVD, and I'm afraid you guys will agree.

As you updated the bios after the install as well as these SSD firmware updates, I personally would do a clean install and see if the updates have improved things..

I have now confirmed that the issue is related to iTunes. I was over at a friend's house for the last 4 days and I had no problems using my computer the entire day long. Today I opened iTunes to play some music and a few minutes later my windows froze again for around 10 minutes, after which everything suddenly worked again.

EDIT: The problem now also occured with Windows Media Player, it seems to be a sound issue but I am not sure how it is triggered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not tried that yet no, as I just got back home yesterday and I really prefer not to reinstall it over a single issue, I have definitely confirmed that it is a problem with iTunes/WMP and only occurs when playing music. Any other application or anything else that generates sound gives me no issues. I'd rather find the source of the problem instead of just wiping it clean and risking that it returns.

Does your gpu have sound capabilities for HDMI? Most AMD cards do and I've noticed unless I disable the gpu audio via the device manager I can get a crash now and again. Perhaps your seeing the same issue although i know your using nvidia, hence my question....

Well as far as I know my cards have audio, but I do not use it. I don't even have an HDMI cable connected. I also see nothing listed in Device Manager that I could disable.

Well I took a shot of my Device manager. The cards audio you can see disabled with the arrow next to it.

hi def.jpg

Hahahaha, I was looking in the wrong place. NVIDIA High Definition Audio is listed 8 times... I guess I have to disable all 8 of them?

Also yesterday I was able to use iTunes for a few hours without issues, but someone else mentioned it only happens when you don't interact with the program for a long time. I was switching songs and stuff quite a few times, maybe that made a difference.

Having 8 of them doesn't sound right.. Can you post a screenshot and your system specification?

In the meantime my system froze up again when I opened a 2nd File Explorer windows while moving some files around, I had no iTunes or Windows Media Player open at this time.

When I reset the computer it suddenly booted with "Configuring Windows Updates" and it was stuck on 12% for a long time, obviously when I reset it again it kept happening so I used the Refresh Windows option with my DVD backed up my data and did a fresh installation. I am currently installing everything again, including drivers.

I checked Device Manager again and it still shows the NVIDIA High Definition Audio 8 times, here's a screenshot.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 563
I did some checking and apparently it's correct. You could try disabling them but see how you go with the new installation.

Back