Windows 7 Help with Windows 7 Sound

StrikeIE

Okay so I have an HP a1700n computer, and it's a desktop. I have a Realtek Chipset thing, and I really need help because I can't hear anything.

It says I have a high definition driver installed, I tried updating it and nothing happened. It's also saying my headphones and/or speakers aren't plugged in, but they clearly are.

I'm 14 years old so I'm not 100% sure on how to fix this, but I got the iso image from Microsoft, and installed it from windows vista. I clicked "custom" because with some of my programs, Windows 7 said it could not "update" my system.

So yeah, I really need help with my sound driver because I hate no sound. Everything is plugged in, but I can't hear :'(

HELP PLEASE

Thanks,
James Meyer

Hello James and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

Ok, this shouldn't be too hard to fix, I just need some information from you first.. What is the exact model of your motherboard? (Example: Asus M2N-E)..

Do you have a sound card installed or is it just the onboard audio?

Just to clarify, you did a Clean Install right? 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win 7?

Okay so I got the iso, burned it (32 bit yes) and than ran it. At around 8:30 I started it, and I did the upgrade feature. It installed the new shit and was getting ready to transfer files; at around 3:30 I woke up and saw it didn't work. I restarted this at 6:45 and I came home from school and it was finished. My sound wasn't working so I went into my drivers and updated the current one, nothing worked.

Here's a print screen of it.
29x6beh.png

I added you on msn, so you can guide me through finding my mother board model.

Unfortunately I'm at work right now and don't have access to MSN Messenger but I think I found the right driver for you.. ;) Go to this page: Link Removed - Invalid URL and it should be the first Driver on the page that you need... It's a Windows Vista driver but they are SUPPOSED to work with Windows 7 too so I'd suggest giving this a try.. Just let me know if it works or not.. ;)

The motherboard that is in your rig is an Asus A8M2N-LA.. :)

Last edited:
"You do not meet the minimum requirements to run this" or something along those lines, (it didn't work xd)

Click "Download" and follow these directions:

1. Click the Download Only button.
2. At the File Download screen, click the Save button.
3. At the Save As screen, save the file to your Desktop.
4. If a message appears stating that the file already exists, click YES to overwrite file.
5. Double-click the icon for the update downloaded to your desktop, and then click NEXT.
6. Follow on-screen instructions.
7. If prompted to restart the system upon completion of the update, click YES and allow system to restart.

I clicked the file name, which brought me to the installer download, ran installer and than it said it.

Ok, do a reboot than try to run the installer again.

If that doesn't work than try right clicking on the driver you have saved to your desktop and choose to run it in Compatibility Mode, choose Windows Vista (32-bit) under the listed OS's.. Than try running the installer again..

If that doesn't work than try it this way, download the driver, save it to your desktop than go into Device Manager and expand the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" than right click on the "High Definition Audio Device" than click on "Update Driver".. When it asks you if you want to include a certain area in the search for a driver click "Browse" and then point to the driver you saved on your desktop. Click "Next" and Windows will do it's thing. Hopefully it will install the driver for you this way... ;)

OMGGGG. I'm so close. I have it downloaded thanks to a friend, and now I just need my speakers to work. They're plugged into a headphone jack in the front but it says they aren't plugged in. O_O

Why not plug them into the back port instead? It could be that your front ports aren't hooked up inside your pc.. ;) Speakers usually go in the Green jack.. ;)

Can you help with my microphone? I plugged it in the back and nothing happened, unless I need to restart for it to work and/or use the front.

The Mic usually goes in the Pink jack.. ;) You may have to install a 3rd party app to record voice.. Win 7 has a built in Sound Recorder but I've not used it so I don't know how well it works.. I imagine it works fine but like I said I can't say for sure.. ;) As far as the Mic goes, you should just be able to plug it into the pink jack and than it should work.. (Win 7 should install a generic driver for it unless it's a sooped up Mic or something.. ;) ). If it came with a driver cd/dvd than by all means try that driver (as long as it isn't a Windows XP driver as they will NOT work in Win 7) if it doesn't just work when you plug it in.. Once you plug it in try recording some voice with Win 7's built in Sound Recorder and see if it works..

Radenight saves the day again I also tried this but got a blue screen after restart even tried compat. mode but still blue screened I have an Asus M2A-VM Board but it's not a big deal for no sound in 7 for me as my speakers are always muted and I watch movies/ play games/ listen to music all in XP for reasons I will wait til RTM to actually get into 7 more and hopefully by then the realtek drivers will be released

Back