Windows 7 Installation freezes after "Windows is loading files"

Regork62

I recently finished building my custom pc, and tried installing Windows 7 Home Premium on it. I got to where it says "Windos is loading files", the white bar filled up, then it would repeat but slower. So far so good, but then it took me to the screen with the background, where one would normally log in to a user account, but it was completely blank, except for the cursor. So I rebooted the PC and tried reistalling it, and then after the "Windows is loading files" screens, it just gave me a blank black screen with only the cursor visable. I tried this several times but always got the same result. Now, i just the blue screen of death.:D
When i don't boot from the CDROM, my computer freezes at "Verifying DMI Pool Data....." I tried resetting my CMOS, but that didn't change anything, so i'm pretty sure I'm getting that message because there's no operating system because Windows 7 won't seem to finish its installation. The HDD i bought said it came prepared for Windows 7 so there shouldn't have to be any formatting or whatnot done. I am thoroughly perplexed

I don't want to have payed $800 for another headache, but, hell, it could be worse... i could be the middle of a human centipede

Anyway, I'm going to be on vacation for the next week so i'll give you all my specs and all the information i think could help any. I'll have access to this computer, but i won't have the parts on hand to tell you any more specific information i don't know off the top of my head.

Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Mobo
AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core Processor
Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 1TB, 3.5", SATA 3G, 64MB Cache
I have a high end video card, but it's currently disconected so I'm running on video card included on the Mobo

I would think it might be related to the hard drive or some other hardware related. Do you know if the bios on the motherboard is up to date in case the large hard drive is involved? You might try partitioning the drive ahead of time, or use another (smaller) one to test.

Have you removed the video card completely?

What type of video connection do you have. Some folks had problems with HDMI connections or dual monitors.

I would first make sure that your DVD drive is set to be the First Boot Device, this is done through the BIOS.

I would definitely partition that big hard drive. A 64 GB partition should be sufficient for a Windows 7 install. (That's 65536 MB in Windows.)

Make sure your BIOS is set to: Optimized Defaults. Also make sure the RAM timings and settings are correct for the brand and type of RAM you purchased.

The Western Digital Green Caviar series of hard drives are really more for storage, not running an operating system. First choice would be their Black Caviar series, second choice would be the Blue Caviar.

If you have more than one hard drive connected to the motherboard, disconnect it and install with only one hooked up, you can connect the other after the install is done.

Mate when the box is freezing at boot-time (dmi pool) you def gotta hardware issue - fix that first before installing any software. make sure all is seated properly etc the usual drill

Welp, i'm pretty sure i've found the problem. The HDD. When i used the MOBO's utility DVD, it said there wasn't enough disk space for an image of the BIOS. so it sounds like the only fix here would be to get a new hard drive, unless there's some connection i missed, or some formatting that i didn't do, but i don't think i'm that stupid. been looking around on the internet, and some people that have had the same problems i have said that replacing the PSU fixed it (but i really can't understand the mechanics of that).
And one said that simply pressing F5 fixed it. Tried the F5 thing and got to the point where i could choose languages and whatnot, but i got and error code: 0xC0000005
I looked it up and people said it could be anything hardware related.

also, anyone know any place i could take it to so a professional could look at it? the only local computer store around me doesn't serve custom PCs

Try plugging the hard drive into a different SATA port on the motherboard. Then attempt clean Windows install while formatting.

Create a USB install key and install from there if needed. Google for how to do this. It's not very difficult.

Ok ...

1) Go into your BIOS and "Load Default Settings" (or similar) so that everything is on automatic. DMI Pool Data is a list of the devices on your machine the BIOS sends to the OS... If any of that is wrong... no boot.

2) When installing READ THE SCREEN -- I think you'll find your hard disk is unformatted. The Win7 installer will walk you through creating partitions and formatting prior to install.

3) Enjoy your vacation.

okay, a little more progress. Replaced the RAM with some I had left from an old PC, and got to the screen where I could select a drive/partition to install Windows 7 on. My HDD didn't appear on the list, and it told me to insert the driver's installation media, but it didn't come with any. I am certain of that. I'm guessing that is because as Nibiru2012 said, the green series is more for storage (my bad). I tried going on the WD website to see if I could download an installation disk for the HDD but i couldn't find any (but if you know there is, let me know). I tried shifting the SATA wires around and plugging them in different ports but that didn't help. I know i'm a noob at this so thanks for you help and patience thus far.

okay, a little more progress. Replaced the RAM with some I had left from an old PC, and got to the screen where I could select a drive/partition to install Windows 7 on. My HDD didn't appear on the list, and it told me to insert the driver's installation media, but it didn't come with any. I am certain of that. I'm guessing that is because as Nibiru2012 said, the green series is more for storage (my bad). I tried going on the WD website to see if I could download an installation disk for the HDD but i couldn't find any (but if you know there is, let me know). I tried shifting the SATA wires around and plugging them in different ports but that didn't help. I know i'm a noob at this so thanks for you help and patience thus far.

You'll need the pre-install SATA RAID or AHCI driver available on cd, dvd, floppy or flash drive while installing. It's in the download section. Which depends on how you have the motherboard set to:

GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 1.3) - GIGABYTE

Back