Windows 7 Internet becomes unavailable randomly

MrBiggz

Greetings!

Here's the issue: I've tried two different NIC's and they both do the same thing. One NIC was a PCI-E and the other is a USB. The internet just stops working, i.e. if you do a status on the adapter it says 'Internet not available.'

Now! If I disable the new adapter and enable the old adapter which is a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card WMP54GS with SpeedBooster that matched the router I had before it died three weeks ago the card works perfectly! It never disconnects from the internet so to speak.

This has to be something in Windows 7 that is causing this behavior in the new adapter. I did a little snooping around myself and there was a suggestion to disable the 'IP Helper' service. I disabled it and stopped it and the adapter still 'went to sleep.'

I'm at a loss here! It's my wife PC that's doing this and she's getting more miserable by the second!

I'm down for any suggestions as to what to do!

Thank for any and all help!
[h=1][/h]

Hi, have you tried turning off the settings shown in the screenshot?

adapter.jpg

Hi, have you tried turning off the settings shown in the screenshot?

View attachment 19855

Hmm! Do you think that would randomly put the card in an 'inactive' state? I'll check the settings as well. Cause this is crazy!!

Now I took a look at my PC which is a Vista box 64 bit and my NIC has that power management tab and the tick is marked for turning the device off to save power. But my NIC never does stuff that. And I have the same wireless adapter in my PC although it's disabled and there is no power management tab. Unless this is something buggy in Windows 7 which makes no sense what so ever!

I will change the tick box and report back!

BTW: Win7 64bit/4GB memory and everything is driver wise and windows updates is latest and greatest!

When you say the internet stops working, do you mean it and your local network?

Back