Windows 8 Internet Usage Issues After Update

Here's the ipconfig /all now.
1418330088453581840535.jpg

Have you got/had Norton on your pc - and whilst scraping barrels/looking for the obvious (please don't hit me!) is there a wireless switch on the laptop?

Well I do have Norton Studios which came with the laptop itself but am currently using Bitdefender if you're talking about anti-virus softwares. Also, there is a wireless button binded to function f12 and it's turned on. It has never caused me any issues since the purchase of this laptop almost one year ago.

I searched google but cannot find a way to search for ip address allocations (too confusing for me). I am using a D-Link router and am currently staring at the router page, not knowing what to do...

I found "Number of Dynamic DHCP Clients" at the bottom with IP Addresses. I'll send a photo.
14183347638761580246311.jpg

Nothing questionable there. Running short of ideas - try removing the wireless adapter from device manager and rebooting to see if Windows picks up on it and re-installs - assuming windows 8 finds it this will overwrite the drive which we installed earlier which presumably wasn't working but see what happens!

Well Windows definitely reinstalled it, but the problem still persists. Also, I noticed that Hamachi is in my hidden icons most of the time when I restart my laptop even though I specifically disabled it in the startup section of the task manager. I don't think it has anything to do with the issue, but it starts out disconnected.

Looks like dns lookups are failing. Try setting the dns server address for your wired ethernet connection to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 the try the two pings again:

ping yahoo.com

ping 98.139.183.24

Exactly the same results as before.

Update : When I pinged for my own ip address, 198.186.0.1, 4 were sent, none received and all requests were timed out.

So can we confirm the outcome is:

We have a lenovo pc with a wired ethernet which can access the internet using IP addresses but cannot handle DNS lookups either using the router address of 192.168.0.1 or the google dns service using either 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as DNS server. The lenovo recognises the wireless adapter hardware and installs the driver for it but it cannot connect to the router at all. In summary wired ethernet connects to the router but DNS lookups fail, wireless connection to the router fails completely.

Three other devices (all phones?) are connecting wirelessly to the router and can all fully access the internet implying that the router is capable of wireless connection and resolving DNS lookups

Back
Top Bottom