Windows 8 Internet Usage Issues After Update

It's a HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC. And the wireless connection to the router has the same exact issue as the wired one : able to connect without limitation but unable to use at all besides the signing in to Steam. Besides these, the rest are correct.

Try resetting the router to factory defaults. Look on the back of the modem/router for a tiny pin hole, get a paper clip and straighten it, insert paper clip into hole, feel inside for reset button - push and hold down until the router turns off then release the reset button.

My router does not have a small hole at the back and only my laptop has issues so I doubt it'll help. This all happened after the restart required for the Windows 8.1 October update.

It's a HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC. And the wireless connection to the router has the same exact issue as the wired one
The wireless is not connecting at all - it has no IP address in your ipconfig listing and is not listed in the router DHCP allocation. Try the ping test with your wired connection unplugged.

By all means try the router reset - it had passed through my mind but I don't see it as being consistent with the evidence (but who knows in this business!)

Oh the reason why the wireless doesn't show up as connected is because the wireless is on, but not connected to any router. I got the same results as the wired connection for the ping test. Sorry for the confusion caused.

Oh the reason why the wireless doesn't show up as connected is because the wireless is on, but not connected to any router. I got the same results as the wired connection for the ping test. Sorry for the confusion caused.
Now you have me! If the wireless is not connected to any router how can it have a result on a ping test. You can only test the wireless connection if the wired connection is unplugged else the pc will simply use any connection available for the ping test. Try it - I believe the wireless and wired adapters are showing different symptoms.

Well the results are the same.
14183420710241580246311.jpg

I unplugged my wired connection and connected my wireless one. These are the results.

My wi-fi was on this whole time, but wasn't connected to any routers at all. Only my wired had a connection to my D-Link router. What I meant by that was that I unplugged my Ethernet cable and connected my wi-fi with the same D-Link router.

and connected my wi-fi with the same D-Link router
This is the point you yourself cannot "connect" a wireless adapter - it connects itself wirelessly - but your your DHCPO listing from the router end and your ipconfig listing from the laptop show no ip address assigned and the laptop itself states "media disconnected." All the facts deny the possibility of any wireless connection between the laptop and the router.

Alright. I will give you an updated ipconfig /all with an unplugged Ethernet Cable and a 'connected' wi-fi.
1418343454583-992267044.jpg

And this which continues on after the first photo.
1418343554437-1280621134.jpg

how have you set the ip address of each of the wired and wireless adapters in their properties. Have yo entered them manually or selected to have them set automatically?

Well it was automatic for both before you told me to change it. But even after that, the problem still persists.

What seems to be happening is that the wireless device is not recognised and given an ip address by the router until the wired cable is unplugged. When it unplugged it loses its ip address and the wireless adapter is then given one. When the cable is reconnected it drops the wireless and the wired adapter is given back the address!!! This is such an odd scenario we need tommethodically check it out:

1. plug in the wired connection, run ipconfig and note the connected/disconnected state of the two adapters alonh with thir ip addresses (if assigned).
2. unplug the wired connection and repeat the process.

the wireless now has 192.168.0.104 and the wired 192.168.0.101. That's looking better. Now run a browser and in the address bar enter 98.138.253.109 and see if you get a web page.

Back
Top Bottom