Windows 8 Is there a good windows cleaning utility?

nesoor

Hey Windowsforum memebers!

I am looking for a Microsoft Windows cleaning utility.
Not something like Ccleaner, but sort of a window with all the cleaning tools which are from Microsoft Windows itself.

Hey Patcooke,
After all these years of Windows development, Windows has just a Disk Cleanup?
Is this because we don't really need cleanup utilities or was Microsoft just to lazy to create a good maintenance tool?

IMHO I have always felt that software should remain as it was originally developed under three main heads - system, applications and utilities. Over the years system and utility software have tended to intermingle creating bloated operating systems which would be smaller and run more efficiently without the overhead of built in utility features such as cleanup, backup, defrag etc to name just three. Whether utilities should then be produced by Microsoft of by third parties is another issue. Different software producers each have their own areas of expertise and the fact that most users (like myself) tend to use third party software for cleanup, backup and defrag along with many other utility tasks would tend to support the view.

IMHO I have always felt that software should remain as it was originally developed under three main heads - system, applications and utilities. Over the years system and utility software have tended to intermingle creating bloated operating systems which would be smaller and run more efficiently without the overhead of built in utility features such as cleanup, backup, defrag etc to name just three. Whether utilities should then be produced by Microsoft of by third parties is another issue. Different software producers each have their own areas of expertise and the fact that most users (like myself) tend to use third party software for cleanup, backup and defrag along with many other utility tasks would tend to support the view.

You have a point there.
The problem is that not everybody knows that it's good to download a third party cleanup software.

There is so many cleanup software out there which claims to clean more than others.
Tell me if i'm wrong but is Ccleaner not enough and if it is why wouldn't Microsoft create something like Ccleaner instead of the cleanup tool.

Don't get me wrong but I am just wondering what we really need to keep our systems safe and clean.
Is it really necessary to pay for an expensive antivirus/malware or is "spybot home edition 9.95€ y" enough?

Ccleaner has been the cleaner of choice for the vast majority of users for many years. It started off as a simple utility called "Crap cleaner" written by geeks for geeks (amongst which I number myself) but as it grew its reputation for efficiency and reliability it was taken up by a wider audience and its authors cleaned up its name to Ccleaner. Microsoft Cleanup has some specifically Microsoft functions such as cleaning up files and registry settings associated with a Windows Installer configuration. In particular it can be useful to get rid of the backup folder "windows.old" which may be created during running a Windows upgrade (once the user has decided that it is no longer required to run a rewind or to recover individual files from it.

Agree with Pat too. CCleaner is my goto tool for Windows clean up and Defraggler for defragging the drive. Although Windows 8 and newer have scheduled defrags tasks so manual defrag isn't really needed.

I also agree that CCleaner is my favorite clean up utility for keeping my computer tidy. It sometimes also helps speed up my computer.

Norton utilities is a also a good clean/ tune up program- keep it's icon on your desktop taskbar and it removes the annoying internet 'blackmail ' / ' your computer is locked until you pay a ransom ' messages.

First thing I do when cleaning friends machines is remove Norton. It's more bloated than most of themalware out there....

I have had no problem with norton on either of my computers- perhaps large hd size might be something to do with it- i hear that one of the ' antivirus' programs has reported a major glitch recently.
My latest com. Came with a year's free Mcavee - got so intrusive and anxious near the renewal date that i deleted it and went back to the brand that i know and trust.z
Interesting though, hearing of the norwegian system of computer maintainance

That's a terrible thing to say about cowshit, I mean come on it actually has a use (fertilizer) :)

Hey Windowsforum memebers!

I am looking for a Microsoft Windows cleaning utility.
Not something like Ccleaner, but sort of a window with all the cleaning tools which are from Microsoft Windows itself.

hello everyone i use system mechanic and have done for 2 years and my pc is running smoothly allthough it is a cheap model:Acer Aspire E 15

Regards

s-l1000.jpg

Seriously though, I don't understand why people use cleaning programs on their Windows OS. If the OS really needs such programs don't you think Microsoft would provide one. In the worst case scenario these programs can actually do more harm than good. I've never used one and never will because it is not necessary.

Well for temp files and the registry I would say one a system cleaning utility is a good idea to have. While disk cleanup takes care of the majority of Windows temp data it doesn't take care of third party software that doesn't clean up after itself as well as while working on malfunctioning software that you had to manually remove and it won't re-install due to orphaned entries in the registry a cleaning utility can in many cases resolve this. I do personally believe the majority of the "Speed up your PC" utilities are worthless and most of them make very little difference on the performance of a system.

I am with norway here, Norton is the home of destructive software.....and folks I have always taken the attitude that if Microsoft doesn't have it in Windows then it probably isn't necessary.

Ccleaner and the likes are completely unnecessary but all this comes from the days when we had 6 gb hard drives and were constantly trying to make more space. We ran scan disk and defrag weekly and all kinds of dangerous "cleaners and "futilities and every so often won the brass ring which caused you to have to reinstall Windows. Today most have at least a terrabyte drive and use maybe 200 Gb so why worry? Why risk removing something that borks your entire system? It is not like we need the space any more

Back
Top Bottom