Windows 7 Issues connecting to network. Help!!!!

nsheppard

I share an unsecured network with my next door neighbor (she knows and we pay half the bill). The Norton Antivirus trial ran out on my new Sony VAIO laptop. Immediately after, it stopped connecting to our network (and any other unsecured network). I've tried turning off Windows Firewall, turning off Windows Defender, did a system restore, uninstalled Norton, used the Norton removal tool, installed and uninstalled another antivirus program (the one that Google Apps recommends... starts with an I), verified the wireless switch is turned on, rebooted my computer, did every update for both Windows and VAIO, booted in safe mode w/ networking, created a new profile... nothing is working!!!! I know hardly a thing about IT and desperately need help b/c I work from home on my laptop. I know it's not my neighbor's router b/c she restarted it and my Wii, desktop, cell phone and Nook reader all hook up to it just fine. When I turn my cell phone into a wifi hotspot, my laptop hooks up just fine to it but it's eaten my broadband on my phone. Help!!!!!!!!!

Does the network show up in your list of connections available?
Have you tried taking the laptop near the router to see if it will pick up the signal when it's close to it?

I found this on another forum...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may have the detected the network but in reality its not there it is only there in name it is corrupt or broken but dont panic you can renew follow these steps to renew it

1.Shut down the router and leave it off
2.On your laptop go to the wireless network icon (bottom right of you laptop )and right click it
3.Choose (Network andSharing Centre)
4.Choose(Manage Wireless Networks)
5.When your network appears in the list highlight it and in the bar above it choose(Remove)
6.exit this back to the desktop and shut down leave it off
7.Turn on your router and let it load
8.Turn on you laptop
9.Go back to the wireless icon again and right click it this time choose(Connect to a Network)
10.When your network appears in the list select it and add you passkey/word
Hopefully that is you back on line again

• 7 months ago
  • Link Removed due to 404 Error
Asker's Rating:Link Removed - Invalid URLAsker's Comment:Thanks a lot David! I followed your advice and it worked!

Mike

Okay, you can try uninstalling your wireless card, right click on Computer, then go to device manager and look for your wireless card/usb and uninstall it, after you uninstall it reboot your PC, it should find new hardware, let Windows install that, if that doesn't work you could always look and see if there is a update for your wireless, if that doesn't work, please report back here and I will try and help you more.

you could also try this, I found it on another forum from somebody who was having the same problem.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Regards,
Eddie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom