Windows 7 Missing send to > desktop shortcut.

LeanBack

I have a problem. My send to > desktop shortcut link is missing.

This is my shell:sendto folder;
2aiY8.jpg

I got Desktop (create shortcut).DESKLINK file, but in the send to menu its gone. I can't use it.

Might be worth using regedit to check that your registry actually contains this entry:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Send To]
@="{7BA4C740-9E81-11CF-99D3-00AA004AE837}"

Might be worth using regedit to check that your registry actually contains this entry:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Send To]
@="{7BA4C740-9E81-11CF-99D3-00AA004AE837}"

i can see my send to menu. but i can't see desktop shortcut ve mydocs inside the menu. this is my problem.

I suppose the entry is also in this folder?

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Is there a specific type of file or location where you do not get the Desktop shortcut option?

I suppose the entry is also in this folder?C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendToIs there a specific type of file or location where you do not get the Desktop shortcut option?
Yes, Desktop (create shortcut).DESKLINK file is in that folder.

I can make mine go away if I hide the shortcut in my user send to folder...So see if yours has been hidden for some reason..

I never noticed that the send to command had the Make an Icon on the Desktop option.

For years I have used the Create Shortcut command, and then dragged the Icon it creates to the desktop.
Sometimes it will say Can't create a shortcut here do you wan't it on the desktop.

Now that I know I will use it, but until you get it figured out you could do it using the Create Shortcut command.

Beside you checking to see if the option is hidden in your Send To folder, all I might suggest is to right click and select "Restore Previous", if there is one.

Here is mine. Try dropping this into your send to folder. The name has been changed to just "Desktop" so will not interfere with your current broken one.

Last edited:
Hi, just found this thread.
I have the same problem and have tried everything suggested. The file Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink (1KB) exists in my send to folder and now I have yours, Desktop.DeskLink (0 KB). Neither show up when I right click. I have also tried copying the one from the Default profile. That did not help either.

I don´t know if its got anything to do with things, but I seem to have a lot of problems with authorities in the Default User profile. For example, I cannot access Cookies, Local settings, my documents, SendTo, Start Menu etc. All these and more entries have a blue shortcut icon against the folder names.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Hi, just found this thread.
I have the same problem and have tried everything suggested. The file Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink (1KB) exists in my send to folder and now I have yours, Desktop.DeskLink (0 KB). Neither show up when I right click. I have also tried copying the one from the Default profile. That did not help either.
If you set your system to see both hidden and system files, you should be able to see a Desktop.ini in the Send To folder. If you right click and select edit, you will be able to read it. Could you compare it to what is listed below.

[LocalizedFileNames]
Mail [email protected],-4
Desktop (create shortcut)[email protected],-21
Compressed (zipped) [email protected],-10148
[email protected],-34575
Fax Recipient.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\FXSRESM.dll,-120
This may just be the icons set for the different entries, but you might check.

After that, you do show a desktop shortcut maker in the Send To folder. You also show the option in your context menu, but if you right click a file and select to send a shortcut to the Desktop, the shortcut does not appear?

If the Desktop option does not show up in your context menu, does it show up if you hold shift and right click?

The next thing I will ask you to do is look at the properties in the Send To folder for the Desktop option. It should show you as the owner and have full control for You, Admins, and System. And something else I noticed is, if you look at the Details page, the Attributes will show as Al (at least on mine it does and the l is really an I for indexing).

Hi Saltgrass,
here are some screen shots of what you asked regarding the SendTo item.
SendTo.jpgDetails.jpgDskINI.jpgOwner.jpgSecurity.jpg

The desktop ini is the same as yours, the owner & securities are as yours. Right click does not show the desktop shortcut option. Right click + Shift shows a long list of options, one of which is desktop, but when clicking this it makes a copy of the selected file on the desktop.

In effect, all my settings etc. are the same as yours but the option is not shown on using right click.

Yes, Desktop (create shortcut).DESKLINK file is in that folder.
Go to: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Check the properties of the Send To's. Make sure they aren't hidden. Mine for some reason were hidden. Unhiding them puts them back in the menu.

Sorry, I did not see you respond.

The attachment for the Send To folder, where did you get that? I am wondering because it looks quite a bit different from mine.

Can you remove the Desktop entries that are not supposed to be there?

I do not see where you have tried, so I will suggest you open an administrative command prompt and type:

sfc /scannow

Let it finish and see if it says anything about unrepairable files.

To open an Admin prompt, us Winkey and type cmd, then CTRL+SHIFT+Enter

Back