Windows 10 My computer is trying to log in as Other?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

When I boot my computer it is set to boot to the desktop without asking for a password or anything.

But, Starting yesterday it gets to the login screen and says 'Your Password is Incorrect".

At first I didn't get it, but then I realized that the name in the user box said "Other".

In the lower left corner there is a place to click on my real user name, and once I do that and put in my password it boots.

Why is it trying to boot to "Other"?

I looked at my Users and there's no "Others" user, just the usual stuff that's always there.

Something is set wrong someplace but I can't seem to find where it's at.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

I would think it has something to do with a user profile, but I always log on.

I do notice, during installs where you install as a local user, initially the designation of user is "Other". This designation changes to your local user after you set up your account, but the "Other" must be somewhere in the system, maybe to represent an as yet unidentified user.

Hi

I suppose I could go back to my system image if I need to to fix this, but I don't have any idea what started it.
I worked fine until yesterday, and I don't remember making any changes to anything related to user accounts.

On another note, I've mentioned that I had problems with the video when coming out of sleep mode.
Just now when I woke my computer up, I got one of those pop-ins that comes from the right side of the screen, that said, "Your Video Drivers has failed and recovered", I've never seen that before.

I'm guessing that this related to my previous problems buy on those occasions it didn't recover.

Mike

The only account that shows is my Microsoft account, and Guest.
My Microsoft account is the one I'm using.

The guest account is turned off.

Tomorrow I may restore to my system image which was made before this started.

New out of band Windows Update today
KB3062095
Not sure what it addresses or fixes, but might be worth a try.
Mine just finished and required a reboot, so....
Now I'm waiting to see if I get any more Video Driver failures.

EDIT: Now there is some information available regarding what this update addresses.
Improvements
This update rollup includes a collection of fixes for the following issues for Windows 10 Insider Preview and Windows Server Technical Preview:
  • Project Spartan crashes when attempting to open it on some devices.
  • The Start menu appears when features of the work area, such as the screen resolution, DPI setting, or screen rotation, are changed. This can occur when running apps, such as games, that open in full-screen. These apps then crash when pressing the Alt+Tab keys.
And my video failures are still occurring

Last edited:
Hi

I kept messing around with it until it booted with the video all messed up.
Just a grey flashing screen and no way to fix it.

I decided to do a clean install, now I've got a lot of work to do, but I'm back up and running.

I'll have to remove the hibernation option again because my clean install still uses 54 Gigabytes of disk space.
Right now I can't find the location to disable it again.

One of the many problems that comes with being 76 years old.
I just did it a week ago.

The first thing I did it check the video driver number, it's 9.18.13.4990
I don't remember it that was the Windows 10 driver or not, I'll have to check the Nvidia site.

Mike

Hi

I do have a system image but I decided it was time to start over fresh.
I'm slowly getting things back to normal but it's going to take a few days before I have everything working again.

I'm moving my Image Backup folder off the C:\ drive as I write this, this will save another 10 Gigabytes of disk space.

I'm only going to put back in the stuff I'm really using.

Thanks for the reminder, I did get rid of the Hibernation thing.

Mike

Hi Trouble...

It appears that the actual command is...

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

This worked for me, the one from the site your linked to was unrecognized.
I know that's what it said but I tried it several times then searched and found this one, which worked.

Mike

Hi

I don't think it was Troubles fault, that's the way it is on the site he linked to.
And that's where I looked when it didn't work.

So I just kept trying the same thing over and over.
I should have thought to look at my earlier post.

As I've said it's the problem with being almost 77, my memory comes and goes.
I can be half way through doing som

Last edited:
No. I wasn't blaming Trouble. I had already looked at the link. But, MS, making a mistake? never!!!!!!!!!! LOL (???)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom