Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

In a way, that could be a good thing for you. Read this article on AMD, Ryzen and AM4 motherboards.
Apparently AMD gave the motherboard maker's extremely late notices, so they couldn't test their motherboards, drivers, etc.
I'm waiting for the R5 1600X, but I won't be getting it or a Asus Crosshair VI motherboard until fall or winter next year.
I forgot, here's the article link.AMD Ryzen CPUs are readily available, but Ryzen motherboards? Not so much - ExtremeTech

I won't be using ASUS any time soon. They're about to release rev 2.2 of the board as rev 1 keep bricking themselves. One thing I've learned with my bios, do not under any circumstances enable fast boot. When enabled if I shutdown the machine. Next boot the bios will reset itself.

I got used to how good SupremeFX and SonicStudio makes my speakers sound on my Maximus VIII Hero, compared to my old pc's Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard with no SupremeFX sound on it. Night and day difference.
None of that is until late next year for me.
I currently only have the 2 Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB's left for now. They'll take until August to have.
I really like the EKWB EK-XLC Predator 240 1.1. Really well built. Quality and replacable parts on it, too.
EKWB stopped selling the Predator's for now, as apparently they have a new line for Ryzen in the wing's in a few month's
Every part on mine can be bought through them or elsewhere, as they're still sold. They just aren't selling them as pre-assembled right now.
Once I'm sure everything works, I'm debating on whether to keep the Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 as a backup or put it in the old pc.
I'll worry about that in June/July.

I'm glad I kept my back up as it's now in my old pc, which the girlfriend has. Compared to this ryzen system which is still on air due to no bracket it's so loud. That said this runs a lot hotter under load.

I saw a Ryzen video the other day and it cracked me up in a way.
It was one of the reviewers that AMD sent a Ryzen cpu, heatsink, motherboard & ram.
AMD sent them a EKWB EK-XLC Predator and they instead used a Noctua cooler for their build and testing.
A: Now I know my EK-XLC Predator 240 works with it and EKWB has a AM4 bracket for it.
B: Wanted to see watercooled benchmarks on Ryzen.

I saw a Ryzen video the other day and it cracked me up in a way.
It was one of the reviewers that AMD sent a Ryzen cpu, heatsink, motherboard & ram.
AMD sent them a EKWB EK-XLC Predator and they instead used a Noctua cooler for their build and testing.
A: Now I know my EK-XLC Predator 240 works with it and EKWB has a AM4 bracket for it.
B: Wanted to see watercooled benchmarks on Ryzen.

A selection of my cinebench runs on air.

Capture.PNG

Good results on your end.
I've got a few complaints in the Ryzen cpu testers on You Tube.
Every video uses a GTX 1080 with them.
I want to see some with the after market RX 480 8GB video cards, as that's what I have.

I'm waiting to here back from the guys on the Asus ROG forums with a answer to my question there.
I need to find out how to remove my Maximus VIII Hero's plastic stuff on the top half of the motherboard.
I'm gonna need it off to run push/pull with the EK-XLC Predator 240 1.1, as it's different from my Arctic Liquid Freezeer 240. On the Arctic the top 2 fans can be outside the top of the case and with the way the EK-XLC Predator 240 1.1 is they can't.
The pump on the EK-XLC Predator is on the left side of the radiator and the upper 2 pre-installed fans are flush with the pump. Top part of 1st picture.
The 2 add-on fans go on the bottom of the radiator, so all 4 fans and the radiator/cooler are just above my motherboard.

It wouldn't fit their without me modding the case. It has enough room, but my case only uses one 200mm. fan in the front.
I have 2 spots in my case it can fit in. The top can hold 2 200mm.fans, 2 140mm. fans or 3 120mm. fans. In front bottom of case can hold 2 140mm. or 2 120mm. fans.
On the spot on the front bottom, I think I'd need 3"-4" longer tubing to reach the cou area for mounting it and I don't really have enough room for tubes from the bottom of case due to my video card, it's power cable coming out of front end of video card and my inside of front of case 140mm. pivot fan in between video card area and case internal front panel for ssd's/hdd's/optical drives.

Back
Top Bottom