Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

Either way, if I get the 2 sata one instead of a m.2 one the speeds shouldn't be that different. That's thanks to rapid mode and Asus's RAMCache. The RAMCache work's on non-Samsung ssd's and even h.d.d.'s, too.

This happens every process change and it doesn't help that the one samsung fab had a fire. I'm guessing osmeone left a Note 7 around ;)

I think a lot of new builders ask for m2 because they assume a speed increase... overall the slow death of sata will take a few more years yet imo

Yeah, when I did this pc it was more about just trying m.2 ones, as the mobo had the port for it.
I will say more that I like Samsung ssd's the best, simply because of Rapid mode in Magician.
Now, they have the newer u.2 ssd's out, too.
That's basically what all the newer worth getting ssd's use now.
They're all over $400.00 and closer to $500.00 for one that's 1TB.
Thank my Asus mobo being a Republican of Gamers board, I can download and use RAMCache.
Between Samsung Magician & RAMCache the speed difference is neglible and the price increase of the newer ssd's isn't worth it for most.
Maybe 20-30mbs faster for the new ones after using Rapid Mode & RAMCache.

I already figure out how I'm gonna do my EK-XLC Predator 240 1.1, so it's just a job that requires me.
I have to remove the Arctic Liquid Freezers backplate & replace it with the EK-XLC Predators backplate.
The EK one needs rubber washers in between it and the motherboard.
I'm gonna put 2 of the longer x99 bolts in without tightening them down at all.
Then I can lay my case on the side and put 2 of the washers in the other two corners and start the 1151 screws there and unscrew the two x99 screws, tighten the 2 1151 screws and then do the same with thither two 1151 washers and screws and tighten them down.
I don't know if I'll be able to do the push/pull with my Maximus VIII Hero, yet, as the whole EK-XLC Predator has to be inside the case.
It should work once I upgrade to Ryzen as the top plastic on the Crosshair VI Hero is smaller than it is on my Maximus VIII Hero.

Yeah, I'm at the point where the bigger ssd's are needed.
All my games won't fit now and I still have 4 more I want now.
The 2 1TB. ssd's will future-proof it for a few years.
The ssd uogrades will be done in August, then I need to get a racing wheel for all the car games.
Then in November or December, I'll start slowly getting the Ryzen 1700 or 1600X, Asus Crosshair VI Hero mobo. amd G-Skill Flare X DDR4 3200 ram (2kits for 32GBs.).
Then, I'll be done upgrading for a few years.
Only upgrades I see after that would be a newer video card & monitor.

I bet.
I'm hoping I can get the 1700 in December. It all depends on the prices then.
I'm going with the Asus Crosshair VI Hero, because I've been spoiled with the Sonic Studio & Sonic Radar sound enhancements.
They do make a difference and the equalyzer has so many different preset catagories.
It's got music, games, tv shows, movies, etc. well covered in it.
I noticed a huge difference with it on this pc with my Maximus VIII Hero compared to my old pc with the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 without access to any of the Sonic stuff and with the same speakers.

My MSI comes with Nihimic 2+ audio enhancements and theres no way I could afford 300 for a mobo.

Yeah, that's why I'm getting the Crosshair VI Hero, too. It's roughly the same price I paid for my Maximus VIII Hero in 2015. $239.99-$259.99.
The only thing I'll have to get is a few USB 3.1 to USB 3.0 & USB 2.0 converter cables for the motherboard headers.
I'll need a few for on the motherboard itself.
I have a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 one now, that I got for this board and I have my memory card reader hooked to it and it works fine.
My Phantom 820 case has 4 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports on it and a built-in sd card reader. The sd card reader isn't hooked up, as my memory card reader is better.
Once I order the motherboard and get it, I'll move on to getting the adaptor cables at the time I order the 1st set of ram.
Then the following month I'll get the 2nd set of ram.
Unsure of exactly when I'll actually do the mobo, cpu & ram upgrade install. Probably sometime in spring or summer next year.

Last edited:
Your buying a new computer?

How come? Didn't you just build one Keith?

Also if I remember correctly it's a better chip for gaming than the Rizen? Unless your wanting the multitasking ability they have?

Yeah, actually the upgrade won't get put in until next spring or summer. More than likely summer. I do a lot of video converting, so the upgrade make's sense.
Also, it's slowly getting better with newer games.
By the time I do do it, the bug's should be gone.
Anyway probably in 2-2 1/2 weeks, I'll be putting my Predator in.
Either way right now my main upgrade is the second 1TB ssd. That will happen in August.
In July and September, I'll do 3 of the games on my list.
October & November will be a Logitech racing wheel.
Then from December on, I'll start getting the Ryzen stuff.
Once I get the Maximus VI Hero, I'm gonna take advantage of the Cable Mods rgb lighting strip coupon that comes with it and get some magnetic red led strips for inside my case.

Back
Top Bottom