Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

After the future video card upgrade, it will be 1440 or 4K monitor upgrade time.
It all depends on if the 4K moniotor prices stabilize by then and if I can afford a ips based one.
I don't want a tn monitor again after having this ips one.

No, just the Intel higher prices.
I originally only went with Skylake because, AMD didn't have anything newer than the 990 FX motherboard and FX cpu's.
My old pc has both of those and Ryzen wasn't expected for 1 1/2-2 more year's in September 2015, so Intel it was.
Now the only thing to me as far as Ryzen goes, that's still a issue is slower ram speed support.
I can deal with the Flare X DDR4 3200 ram only being able to run at 2933MHz. speed's considering I'll be going with 2 16GB. kit's.
I'm gonna take that upgrade slower than what I did with this one.
Other than medical stuff (ankle/leg) or my old pc's mobo going bad a while back, I've pretty much spent 2 years on parts & upgrades for this pc.
I only need 3 part's for the Ryzen upgrade, but each one will take 2 month's each for the money.
I may take a break from spending every 3rd month.
Especially as after I have them part's, it will be time for a video card & monitor upgrade.
Probably something similar to the RX Vega 56 and a 4K ips monitor.

It's gonna be a while for me Ryzen wise.
CPU's either gonna be R7 1700 or R7 1700X.
The ram will definitely be G-Skill FlareX as it's AM4 certified. I don't really need ram led's.
As far as motherboards, it's between Asus, Gigabyte and MSI definitely X379, though.
This time around, I'll probably do the cpu first, motherboard second and ram third, as far as part's buying order goes.

Swapping my cooler earlier and while removing the old one. I managed to pull the cpu out of it's socket. All is ok luckily but thats a scare I won't quickly forget.

I was staring at the pins for around 20 mins before deciding it looked ok. Then refitted it as it#s safer in the socket and I had nosy cats around. Last time I saw this happen was eith k6-2 or the duron days.

Now, starting tomorrow I get to reschedule some doctor's appointments I missed due to the hurricane and last weeks thunderstorms.
I missed my eye checkup appointment due to the hurricane and lab work for my appointment I missed today due to the thunderstorm warnings all last week.
It's looking like November's gonna be fun doctor wise, as I'm sure another doctor will be added to my list after my appointment for my diabetes.
Now my right leg want's to cramp up all the time, so it's probably neurologist time for me.

I purchased PCMark 10 on Steam earlier today.
I think the scoring in it is off.
I don't remember the score I got, but it was 6*** and in the online graph it showed my pc outscoring everything, even a 4K based pc.
I just loaded it in Steam and the score I got was 6812 and it say's my pc is better than 99% of all pc's.
4K Gaming pc: 5005
Gaming Laptop: 4801
Gaming PC (HTC Vive/Oculus Rift min. specs.: 4481
Office PC (2016): 2675
The scoring really seems off to me.

I just ran PCMark 10's Extended Test and got the following scores:
Score: 7422.0
Essentials: 11328.0
Productivity: 10189.0
Digital Content Creation: 7170.0
Gaming: 9911.0

Keith my system. Ross did his cable management thing earlier. Considering the case is fairly small I think it doesn't look bad.
0715f0b0c39c2705ef0048c78bfb6938.jpg
e18a027db391fcb1aa1eccc675fb7f05.jpg
87cc3fe983836308f43e92305ecf6886.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Looks good to me. The only thing I'd do is switch the back white fan for a blue led fan to match the rest of the blue lled's. I'd go with a Cooler Master fan as the blades actually have the led color, whereas the Bitfenix fans have the led's on the outer frame.

One of these days I need to take mine apart a fix the case wire for my side panel's fan. I miss my red led in the side panel.
This time around I'm gonna do it different.
The first time I tried fixing it, I had the side panel fan disconnected from it and it still is.
This time I'm gonna undo how I I electrical taped the center wire in place, plug the fan into the case's messed up wire and force the center wire into the fans connector, plug the pc in and turn it on briefly to see if it works and then tape the center wire into place.
Maybe, I'll do that Saturday or Sunday.
I still have to run 3DMark tonight on my pc. I haven't run it yet on the new 17.10.1 drivers released a few day's ago.

Yours loks like a full tower as mine is a mid tower. Case really isn't meant to have a 240mm radiator in the front. Drive bay removed which was another of Ross's fine ideas.

Last edited:
Back