Windows 7 Network Limited Connection

mjutras

I have a laptop with the network unable to connect to outside the LAN.I can ping anything on my network, my network can ping my laptop but laptop cannot ping 8.8.8.8 or anything outside.

I have the same issue with the wireless and NIC, showing limited connection.
I get all the proper info from DHCP, tried setting static with same results.
Turned off firewall, booted in safe mode with Network and still the same.
Updated BIOS version, uninstalled and reinstalled NIC and wifi drivers.

Ran sfc /scannow with no errors
Ran antivirus and found nothing
Ran malwarebytes and found nothing
Nothing in event log

If I do ipconfig /release I get "No operation can be performed on (wireless or Local network) while it has its media disconnected.

I have ruled out network cable, router port.

I don't know where to go from here...

Last edited:
Things to try:

1. If IPv6 is enabled, disable it. How To Disable IPv6 In Windows 7 & Windows 8

2. Also, sorry for mentioning this but make sure you're connecting a cable into a little box with a picture of a telephone on it.

3. If it's wireless with software, uninstall and re-install the software.

4. Launch a command prompt with elevated priviledges,(right click and choose run as administrator)
type
netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt
hit enter
Then type
netsh winsock reset
hit enter
reboot.

5. Here's from another post: A techie suggested I shut down the Dlink Router, UNINSTALL the dlink adapter in the XP PC (using System Devices from Control Panel), reboot, and see if the dlink adapter would re-install and find the Cisco network. IT DID - very quickly - no problem

6. Did you recently change a password? If you changed only the password on your computer's wireless software, you will lose the connection because the two passwords no longer match. You have to change the password on both devices, not just one of them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response,

1. IPv6 is disabled

2. Network cable is connected to the right place (I should mention I've been doing this for the past 25 years)

3. The wireless software is the one from Dell, I get connected to the wireless successfully as I can ping my network and anyone within the network can ping the laptop.

4. the response to netsh int ip reset was a number of lines with OK next to them. Somehow it didn't created the file resetlog.txt
Trying to do it again after the reboot, I got just one line "Resetting Interface, OK! anyhow that didn't resolve the issue.

5. I have a Watchguard router and integrated wireless adaptor.

6. No password was changed, I connect ok on the LAN via wireless or physical NIC, both give the same results.

I was leaning more towards a DLL file or a component from Win 7 that controls the network or another command like netsh that resets something else...

1. If safe mode with networking didn't work either, it's probably not a driver issue.

2. Can you restore the computer to a time before this occurred

3. You may have to have your ISP do a reset on their side of things. Call them and have them do their magic.

4. Symantec can block networks but I think we should first do 2 or 3 and take it from there.

My issue was resolved, it turns out I had a limited amount of licenses on my Watchguard which is assigning licenses per IP.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom