Windows 7 NIC driver error.

scooby

I had installed a new NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless-N Router WNDR3300 on my computer (Windows XP installed). Everything was working fine the first time. I then upgraded to Windows 7 and now every time I try to install the router, it comes up with an error from the install CD stating there is a NIC driver error, though nothing shows a conflict on my computer or device manager. All the drivers are up to date and working correctly. This is a brand new router and this is really aggravating...searched all over the interenet for an answer and nothing has worked.

I don't understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Typically you do not need to "install" a router on a computer. If you want to configure some setting in the router you would usually do it through the built in web browser interface by typing http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar of a web browser. There is a firmware update for that router which seems to address some problems with IE8, Win7 and UPnP which may help..you can find that here Answer can you explain what you are trying to do, and if you provide the manufacturer, model name and number and version number of your wireless adapter, perhaps we can help further.

I am having the same issue with a brand new NetGear WNDR 3300 Router. (Windows 7 Home Professional)When I use the "install wizard" it only goes to the first step and tells me there is a NIC network driver error. I can't go any further. I can install the device manually, but it never gets an IP adress and won't hook up to the internet. If I directly link a network cablef rom the Motorola modem to the computer, I get the internet OK. The device doesn't seem to deect the IP address automatically. The wizard is supposed to do that, but never gets that far. Any suggestions? Is there a way to play with DHCP in Windows 7. If I use the "wizard" with the device not hooked up, I get the same error message. I use Parelogic Driver Cure and Driver Wizard and they say all my drivers are updated. Help????

Thank you!

jerryoster:
Hello and welcome to the forums. Since according to this link http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Netgear%20Rangemax%20Dual%20Band%20802.11n%20WNDR3300%20Wireless%20Router&v=Netgear&uid=WNDR3300&pf=4&pi=18&c=Networking&sc=Wireless%20Routers&os=32-bit your router is compatible with both 32 and 64bit versions of Win7 and since your network adapter apparently works fine when you bypass the router then there must be something going on between the adapter and the router.
Perhaps there is an issue with negotiation of speed and duplex, so let's try adjusting that from "Auto Negotiate" to one of the other options, try 100 full and see if that works, if not try 10 full. You may have to reboot after each change to make sure you cover all the bases.

jerryoster:
Hello and welcome to the forums. Since according to this link http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Netgear%20Rangemax%20Dual%20Band%20802.11n%20WNDR3300%20Wireless%20Router&v=Netgear&uid=WNDR3300&pf=4&pi=18&c=Networking&sc=Wireless%20Routers&os=32-bit your router is compatible with both 32 and 64bit versions of Win7 and since your network adapter apparently works fine when you bypass the router then there must be something going on between the adapter and the router.
Perhaps there is an issue with negotiation of speed and duplex, so let's try adjusting that from \"Auto Negotiate\" to one of the other options, try 100 full and see if that works, if not try 10 full. You may have to reboot after each change to make sure you cover all the bases.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, but it didn't work. At first it looked as if it was going to connect; the diagnostics on the driver said it obtained an address when I went to 100 full, but at 100 and 10 full duplex after rebooting there was no change. I even unplugged and replugged both the modem and router after each attempt. When I went into the IP address of the router and the config program, when I tried to auto setting, it actually momentarilly seemed to connect and then dropeed the connection Just as a test, I plugged my Dell Studio into the router (64 bit Win7) and also didn't work.... must not be the card. The warning light flashed on the router than says it's not getting an IP address..could the problem be in the cable modem? Thanks for your help; it's very aggravating. I had an old Lynksys g modem in, and it worked and then a couple of days ago suddenly stopped. Ithought the problem was with that router, but apparently not. Any other suggestions? At least my direct connection works!

Open up the router interface and look at the WAN configuration. If you are using PPPoE, then you will have to enter your DSL username and password in order for the WAN interface on the adapter to successfully negotiate a connection. Without knowing what type of highspeed your using or who your provider is I can provide much more information than that

If the ISP provided device was bad, then I don't suspect that anything that you plugged into it would work, including your local PC, which you have already stated seems to work fine. Some ISPs like ATT use PPPoE, those connections require that a username and password be embedded in the connection properties on the WAN interface of the Router. Others, like Verizon, do not use PPPoE, but have DHCP lease times of 2hours or more, and unless you successfully release the DHCP address that you have already acquired, then plugging in a new device would require the time remaining on the existing lease to expire before you can aquire a new lease for a new device you plug into the network. A call to your provider may help answer some questions regarding this issue.

Netgear install problem

I will look at the password issue on the Netgear setup screen. I use Comcast HIgh Speed and don't remember a problem in thepast with my prior router. I was using my Linksys G router with no difficulty, even after installing Wind 7 (32) several months ago. All of a sudden, the router stopped working, with the same message I am getting now ..unable to get DNS address. Bipassing the router worked then too. I decided to upgrade the router anyway (it was old, and I now have some N speed capable laptops.) I am getting the same error message on the new router, which leads me to believe that the router is OK. My computer has not changed. I did go into my network setuip and made sure that it says to automatically set DNS and IP. It was set for that. Do I need to get a specific IP etc. from Comcast?
I still don't understand the "NIC driver error" message when I put the Wizard CD in my computer, with and without it being hooked up to the router. I went on the Intel site and had it automatically check for an upgrade my driver after that error message with no change. I have seen similar NIC error messages on the net, but no one seems to have an answer. I also disabled my Firewall (Norton/Windows) and that didn't help. As mentioned, I tried to use my Wind 7 64 bit laptop, and got the same error message. The wirless section seems to communcate OK with the laptop in woreless mode, but will not connect to the net. I have another older XT machine hard wired upstairs; it too did not connect through the router. I think whatever this is is a stupid simple issue, but very elusive!
I'll try the password etc. If nothing else works, I'll call my ISP and ask them to do a reinstall. When I first had the problem, they pinged the modem and said it was OK. All my equipment is on surge protectors.
Any other ideas are appreciated.

Comcast doesn't use as far as I know PPPoE so you can forget about the username password issue, they are also pretty prompt to reissue DHCP Leases, but the one thing you will probably need to do when swapping out routers, or bouncing back and forth from your router to your PC directly connected is completely reboot the network, which means also removing the backup battery from the comcast device if present. So shut everything down (remove power from the devices that do not have on and off switches) give it a minute or two, plug the comcast device into the wan port on the router and plug your computer into one of the switch ports on the router. Replace the battery in the Comcast eMTA and replace the power cord and wait till all the lights are appropriately steady and green, then re-apply power to the router and again wait until it finishes booting and then bring up the computer. Check the Router interface, see if you are receiving an IP address for the WAN port. Do an ipconfig /all on all the computer connected to the LAN switch ports of the router make sure they are getting ip addresses correctly from the router (are they complete, ip, subnet, gateway, dns). Make sure you can ping other network nodes especially the inside edge of the router. See if you can see the "Information Screen" for the Comcast device, usually http://192.168.100.1 just try an determine as close as possible, what device is not working as it should, it could be something as simple as a cable

Great news! With a reinstall of my cable service from the ISP and the suggested power down procedure you mentikoned, I am up and running. I still don't know the exact cause, but there must have been some kind of surge or power issue. I had previously tried the power down/connect sequence you suggested with no result.
Tha nks for all the help; it was an educational experienece as well.
I have another non major issue with Windows 7 that I'd like to run by everyone:

"Windows Explorer stopped working"
Hardware and software: This message appears frequently and then corrects itself. It happens on both of my 2 computers. One is a fairly new Dell Studio 64 bit Win 7; the other a Gateway Quad Core where I installed Win7 32 bit over Vista a few months ago. I have all the Windows 7 updates automatically sent and installed on both machines. I think the bios are up to date on both, but will check again. Driver checks seem up to date, and all peripheral hardware works fine. It seems to happen at any time, and not program specific. I have seen this mentioned on several forums, but no good solution suggested. It's never crashed completely, but is annoying. I do use one of the Aero configurations on both machines. It does not seem to be graphics related.
Thanks
jerry

Jerry Oster

Back