Windows 7 Not connected - No connections available

Loveoforganic

Hey all,

I've searched for this problem, and none of the solutions resolved my issue. Within the past day or so, my laptop has stopped picking up wifi, both at home and at the university campus. The WLAN isn't disabled, the driver rollback is grayed out, and a generous system restore (~1week) didn't resolve the issue. I looked in the windows firewall, but didn't see what I should be looking for.

Thanks for any help

If it is a laptop could you have turned the wifi off with the key combo?

What does it say under device manager for the wifi driver? Is it installed and working.

Please go to start>search>type device manager.
Are there any "unknown devices" with yellow triangles on them?
Is you driver there , listed, and working?

If your driver is missing, or there is a yellow triangle on it, you will need to update it.

ok

How about system specs? Is there a wlan icon in the system tray? Is it "X"ed out?

What OS? what version (ultimate,pro, home)?

Sorry about the stupid questions but have to start somewhere

Ken J

ok

How about system specs? Is there a wlan icon in the system tray? Is it "X"ed out?

What OS? what version (ultimate,pro, home)?

Sorry about the stupid questions but have to start somewhere

Ken J

No worries at all! I'm a computer novice and really appreciate the help - no dumb questions.

I assume the wlan icon is the series of increasing taller bars? The thing you click to pull up available wifi connections? If so, yes - that is x'ed out in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

System specs -

Dell Inspiron 1545
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30 GHz 2.30 GHz
2.00 GB RAM
64-bit OS

If it is a laptop could you have turned the wifi off with the key combo?

What does it say under device manager for the wifi driver? Is it installed and working.

Usually when you disable wifi via your keyboard in a laptop, it doesn't actually disable the device.
Try pressing Fn(Function)+one of the F keys (whichever one would have the wireless symbol on it).

The problem was the keyboard shortcut - sorry I didn't see that fix in the first post for some reason.

Thank you both very much

A week ago my wife said her laptop wasn't connecting.
I took me close to an hour before I figured out that she had hit the button that turns it off.

Back
Top Bottom