Windows 7 Over sensitive screensaver ...

Rich73Kelly

I browsed through the "Screensaver" posts before even joining the Forums and didn't find my particular issue.
I purchased a "used" HP Compaq 6200 with Windows 7 Pro installed. If other information about this machine is needed, I'll need steps on how to find it within the software as there is next to nothing on the case.
Now to my issue ... The Screensaver is set at 3 minutes ... Monitor off is set at 15 minutes. The Screensaver (Bubbles) will come on, I can hear the fans slow down and, almost that quick, the screensaver goes off and back to the desktop. There is nothing running in the background to cause this. I never experienced this on my old XP machine. Nor have I experienced it on this Win 10 machine, which was upgraded from 7.
Is there some way to remove and reinstall the screensaver software itself? Or, maybe some other kind of work around to get this screensaver working properly ???

Lots of things can wake a computer out of a screensaver. Devices such as Keyboards, mice and network adapters, programs, services, and scheduled tasks.

You can open a command prompt after it wakes up and type powercfg /lastwake to see what woke the system.

Alright, just did as you suggested ... Description is "USB Root Hub" ... Instance path is; USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&bc6a4e8&0 ... Manufacturer is <Standard USB Host Controller>. The mouse and keyboard are both plugged into USB ports.

Most likely, but other devices can exist on the bus such as bluetooth. USBView would be able to show you everything on the bus
USBView

I tried and failed at getting USBView. I followed the provided steps. First, kb2999226 won't install .. I get a message saying it is not for this version of Windows. I then went to d/load and install the debugging tools portion of the SDK. There is nothing pertaining to the SDK or USB view in the provided/suggested directory. At this point, I am going to uninstall the SDK.

Let's see if this works ... Here are the results from USBview ...

Attachments

• USBViewAll.txt
    17.3 KB · Views: 451
Neemobeer, Did I lose your interest here? Do you see anything out of the ordinary in the USBView text? At this point, All I can figure, is the keyboard is a cheapie from Amazon. The only thing I could consider at this point is to try the old HP keyboard from my XP machine and see if that stops the behavior.

There's no way to tell specifically which device on the root hub woke the system. You'll just need to test with a single device disconnected.

Back