Windows 7 Random BSOD when copying files to external USB device

MarcusarilliuS

Hey guys, I often get random BSOD's when copying files to an external USB device. I haven't been able to tell what's triggering them. It can be a large group of files or sometimes even smaller files, so don't know if it's related to file size Am unfamilar with troubleshooting BSOD's. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks, Mark.

Post the dump file in the BSOD area and somebody will check it out. Post as a zip file not a text file.
Joe

Hi MarcusarilliuS and Welcome to The Forum.

The *.dmp files are located at C:\Windows\Minidump. Until a *.dmp file is generated, the Minidump folder may not exist.

GoTo your C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Copy the *.dmp files to a new folder on your desktop. Zip up the *.dmp files from that folder and attach to a post.

To Enable Minidumps:

1. Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
  2. Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery > Settings... button.
  3. Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
  4. Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
  5. Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
  6. OK your way out.
  7. Reboot if changes have been made.

Thanks :) Just looked in the minidump folder but it's empty. I made the changes you suggested in the startup and recovery area. Will this mean that next time it hangs it will write a dump file? thanks, Mark.

Yes it should.

If you use CCleaner (or any other clean up utility) make sure that the removal of dmp files is not enabled (in CCleaner it's under Cleaner >> Window tab >> System > Memory Dumps).

HTH.

Back