Windows 10 Random folders appear on all my drives

cs1

So I have various desktops and all have more or less the same issue. In the root of each drive there are randomly named folders generated. Names like:

2b174a7b6cd269132e8dd780
52aebd6aec88ceb00badbc
32601669e81d70e5b9c7c8
ae888118d1365c5a165784ed221b20

So the only common thing seems to be that they are all hexadecimal, but even the lenght of the names are different.

There is a minor difference in Win10:

1. For Win 7/8/8.1 the folders are empty.
  2. On Win 10 the folders contain a folder called SandBox which is empty.
The majority of the folders can be deleted without any issues, but some of them can't even with administrator rights.

I spent the last two days on google but couldn't solve this. I read that many of the people thinks that this is due to Windows Update. If that was true why my non-system partitions, external hard drives, usb pendrives are also affected?

I have to mention that all of my machines are affected regardless of their OS, location, user, etc. They run different anti-virus/anti-malware tools. None of them shows any sign of any infection.

What the heck is that?

Hi

I used to get these folders all the time in Windows 8 but I haven't seen them in Windows 10.

I too thought that they were associated with Windows Update.

They did not appear on my C:\ drive but used to show up at the top of my D:\ drive.

If you use SuperAntiSpyware it has a SuperDelete file removal tool that might get rid of them.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom