Windows 7 Running Windows7 - tried to run an 'upgrade' to repair an issue - now frozen on 'Starting Windows'

jimjamstew

Hi All,

Swift help would be appreciated on this.

I have been running Windows 7 on my pc for 3 months with great satisfaction (I upgraded/clean installed from Vista). However, tonight my pc wouldn't recognise any USB hardware (some of which I can only assume are internal, as my keyboard and mouse are PS2). Having looked online for possible fixes, it seems that running an upgrade from my installation disk would resolve the matter.

Unh-uh!

My pc is stuck on the 'Starting Windows' page and won't proceed any further. I have rebooted - but although the bios page and boot setup page can have the cursor moved by the arrow keys, hitting the 'enter' key then freezes those pages. I have tried to select 'Windows 7' as the operating system rather than 'Starting Windows' but this also freezes the pc.

I now have what seems to be a rather large paper weight with a fan inside it on my desk...can anyone offer a solution around this issue?

Many thanks in anticipation.

J

This might be video related. If so, you might want to consider a previous post that had a solution...

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...ng-after-first-stage-installation-solved.html

Hi All,

Swift help would be appreciated on this.

I have been running Windows 7 on my pc for 3 months with great satisfaction (I upgraded/clean installed from Vista). However, tonight my pc wouldn't recognise any USB hardware (some of which I can only assume are internal, as my keyboard and mouse are PS2). Having looked online for possible fixes, it seems that running an upgrade from my installation disk would resolve the matter.

Unh-uh!

My pc is stuck on the 'Starting Windows' page and won't proceed any further. I have rebooted - but although the bios page and boot setup page can have the cursor moved by the arrow keys, hitting the 'enter' key then freezes those pages. I have tried to select 'Windows 7' as the operating system rather than 'Starting Windows' but this also freezes the pc.

I now have what seems to be a rather large paper weight with a fan inside it on my desk...can anyone offer a solution around this issue?

Many thanks in anticipation.

J

thanks...but didn't work

Hi Busydog

Sorry, but the pc freezes before I can select any options on the boot menu.

This loop it is caught in is very frustrating...I can't even see how I can interrupt it to do a full reinstall of Windows 7 just so I can use the pc...at the moment it's a hunk of plastic.

Any other solutions gratefully received!

J

This may be a bit draconian but you can always use the Win7 Boot Disk to do an install (clean, not upgrade) on top of the existing partition. It will save all of your data in a file called windows.old but you will have to reinstall your apps. At least you can use your computuer again.

Hi Busydog

Sorry, but the pc freezes before I can select any options on the boot menu.

This loop it is caught in is very frustrating...I can't even see how I can interrupt it to do a full reinstall of Windows 7 just so I can use the pc...at the moment it's a hunk of plastic.

Any other solutions gratefully received!

J

I second the thought of busy dog, do a clean install without reformatting,
Once Windows is installed, open "Computer" followed by Drive C:\ then to "Windows.old" to "Users" where you can essentially copy of your entire user folder into your new one.

Back