Windows 8 Start Screen Icons Missing

jamezb3

I installed Fontagent Pro and when I rebooted my PC the icons in the start screen where missing.
I guess I am just wondering if anyone has run into this problem and knows how to fix this bug.
I must have a bit of OCD because it really bugs me when things aren't just so.
Untitled.jpg

Cheers

I installed Fontagent Pro and when I rebooted my PC the icons in the start screen where missing.
I guess I am just wondering if anyone has run into this problem and knows how to fix this bug.
I must have a bit of OCD because it really bugs me when things aren't just so.
View attachment 402

Cheers

Have you tried running the native System File Checker
Hold WinKey strike the x key
Select Command Prompt (Admin)
Type
sfc /scannow
See what it produces and let us know.
Regards
Randy

Hi,

if you open your C drive, click on view along the top and then check the box marked 'Hidden'. This will reveal your hidden files and folders. Open the Users folder and navigate to your name, App Data and then local. Look for a file marked icon cache and delete it. Reboot and hopefully your icons should be back to normal. Remember to uncheck 'Hidden'.

icon cache.jpg

Hi,

if you open your C drive, click on view along the top and then check the box marked 'Hidden'. This will reveal your hidden files and folders. Open the Users folder and navigate to your name, App Data and then local. Look for a file marked icon cache and delete it. Reboot and hopefully your icons should be back to normal. Remember to uncheck 'Hidden'.

View attachment 641

still not work

Untitled.jpg

Sounds like a couple of you have a conflict or lack of compatibility w/ FontAgent Pro. Any chance you can live w/out it? Does anything change if it is uninstalled?

I especially muse this since, the other suggestions did no good.

You might give Sys Restore a shot, too.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Indeed, many programs that mess with the fonts and display in Windows 7 do not yet work in Windows 8. This includes the great screen capture software, FRAPS, as well. It is up to the developers of the software to fix these issues as best they can. There appears to have been an impasse with FRAPS, although a bit off topic -- the last release was in August. So I suspect that they know there is a problem in Windows 8 by now, and are working to fix it. If there has been no update to your software in the weeks following the public release of Windows 8, you may want to look at this as a compatibility problem with third party software. In this case, the third party software may not be compatible with the operating system at this time.

Back