Windows 10 System Image help needed

brkkab

Excellent Member
I'm having issue's in Windows 10 Pro x64 making system images. I've got Windows & Programs on a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB ssd. I created a folder in C:\Program Files(x86)\ named Games. I setup Disk Management to use this folder in Windows to store my Games on a Intel 530 Series 480GB ss I have.
My personal data (Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Music, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches and Videos are all on a Seagate Barracuda 3.0TB hdd.
Everytime I run the Windows 7 Backup & Restore to make a backup & system image, the system image alway's fails.
Does anyone know how I can fix this?
I'm gonna have this issue again in April, if I don't find a fix now as, I'm in the process of building a new pc and only have 2 parts left to get.
Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• Capture.zip
    72.3 KB · Views: 146
Look in the Event Viewer for a specific error message that we can troubleshoot.

It's either going to be in the Application log or System Log. Using powershell would be the easiest way to product a text file of the logs.
Open a powershell prompt and type
For the application log
  • Get-EventLog -LogName Application -Newest 30 -EntryType Error >> %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Error_Events.txt
For system
  • Get-EventLog -LogName System -Newest 30 -EntryType Error >> %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Error_Events.txt
These will create a text file on your desktop.

I can't remember the exact error. It's occurring at the very end. Prior to it, it does a system image of C; and then it does a system image of my hidden 2nd ssd that has my games (the 1 circled in previous scrrenshot).
I'll take a screenshot of the error in a few hours of it, as I run it weekly on early Sundays.

Here's 3 screenshots of what I get.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    49.6 KB · Views: 284
  • EndResult.PNG
    EndResult.PNG
    29.1 KB · Views: 293
  • ErrorDescription.PNG
    ErrorDescription.PNG
    83.6 KB · Views: 305
I have no clue why it's making a image of my hidden Games ssd, considering it's already imaging my Boot ssd drive C; where the games file is located. C:\Program Files(x86)\Games.

Heeres a screenshot of what Event Viewer shows in Applications, Security shows no errors in Event Viewer.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    68.6 KB · Views: 237
I just tried it againg this time 2 errors showed up within 2 minutes of each other. Here are the 2 screenshots.
Capture1.png was @2:04PM and Capture.png was @2:06PM

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 313
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    19.2 KB · Views: 330
VSS isn't something I use or know really well. You might try looking at your shadow copies and clearing them out. From an elevated command prompt you can use the vssadmin command to look at the writers, particularly the system writer for problems, and look at and clear out your shadow copies.

I searched online after I posted the first set of screenshots and already followed the Administrative Command Prompt for checking the VSS writers. None showed any errors. How do I clear out the shadow copies? I formatted my backup drive earlier before I ran the 1st backup around 2 A.M. this morning.

Thanks deleted all shadow copies. In a little bit I'll try just making a system image and see what happens this time. If it doesn't work this time, I'll know that I'm done with 10 and 8.1 wi;; be going back on my new pc in April.

**SOLVED** Making a System Image finally worked after deleting all previous shadow copies.

Hi

Not an answer to your question, and I'm glad you got it fixed, but I've been using EaseUS TODO backup for several years and it is easier to use and more reliable than any backup software that I've ever used.

It's literally a matter of 3 clicks to create a System Image, and it's never failed to restore my computer.
It also creates a bootable repair disk in either Linux or Windows PE format.

Best free backup software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, etc - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

You can't beat the price, Free!

Mike

B.S. We have to jump through hurdles to get 10 to work. I'm really rethinking now on whether I want 10 Pro or 8.1 Pro on the pc I'm building.
The only thing's I didn't have in 8.1 Pro, thank's to Stardock's Start8, ModernMix and Decor8, was Cortana and the privacy crap.

Back