Windows 7 Updates and drivers make windows crash on boot up? I've tried everything!

audeoninja

I have windows 7 installed on a PC I built a little over a year ago. I recently upgraded to the windows 8 consumer preview, but I didn't like it so I'm trying to switch back. When I install windows it works fine, I can turn my computer off and on as many times as I want and it will be fine, but if I install any video card drivers or any of the updates that windows tells me to install, the next time it boots up I either get the windows splash screen or a black screen right after it says, "welcome to windows", or whatever it says.
I have tried installing only my video card driver, I have tried installing only one of the recommended updates, but no matter what I install it doesn't work the next time it boots, so this isn't a problem with one specific driver.
The only thing I have changed since I had windows 7 installed before is that I got a new SSD, but I'm still using my old drive as well. I have tried installing on the SSD while the other drive is unplugged and I have tried to install windows on my original HD while my solid state drive is unplugged. I have tried installing on both, nothing works. I have formatted both several times. I have also tried installing both 32 and 64 bit versions, both to the same effect.

What else can I do? I need to install my video card driver at the very least or I can't play games, which is the whole reason I built a PC.

Since you are "trying to switch back" to Windows 7, could you go through the process you used. Did you just reformat a partition, or the whole drive/s? Did you try cleaning the drives with Diskpart?

Was anything in your bios changed during the Windows 8 experiment?

I had Windows 8 on my system, but have switched back to Windows 7. I did not, however, use the same drive for both.

I formatted the entire hard drive and then created a new partition. I reset the CMOS, but I don't see how that would effect anything. I don't know what SP I have, just whatever one it gives you when it installs as I can't install anything else.

I don't know what SP I have, just whatever one it gives you when it installs as I can't install anything else.
The install disk may or may not incorporate SP1. Check after install by looking at control panel/system. If it does not then you should run an SP1 install before proceeding.

Is there any chance you video card might have quit on you, or have a bad connection either to the motherboard, or the cable? What type of video connection do you have and can you try another one? When Windows 7 first came out, there did seem to be some issues with HDMI connections and some multiple monitor problems.

The SP1 update did change some drivers, and add more, so Pat's suggestion may help. You can download the SP1 update, or download the .iso file for the Windows 7 install DVD which includes SP1, if you have a way to burn them. Or just let the system update until the SP1 is offered.

If you need to turn off the updates for Hardware, you can do that in the Advanced System Settings - Hardware Tab - Device Installation Settings.

Last edited:
Is there any chance you video card might have quit on you, or have a bad connection either to the motherboard, or the cable? What type of video connection do you have and can you try another one? When Windows 7 first came out, there did seem to be some issues with HDMI connections and some multiple monitor problems.

I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 240 and use a DVI cable. I don't it's the video card because even when I don't install the driver and install only the windows updates it still doesn't work. I don't have SP1, but It's not in the list of updates when I go to windows update and I can't figure out how to install it.

Back