Windows 7 USB not recognized

PattiChati

Whenever I use one of my USB ports, afterwards I get an error that lasts all the time that says USB device not recognized. I have gotten rid of it before with the help of techs, but then when I go back and use it again, that error pops up. The usb ports work, I use it to download pictures and other things, but I cannot get the error gone. Someone suggested I unplug the internet completely for a few minutes and it would reset itself, but that didn't work. I put the media card usb back into the port and went to where it says it is safe to remove hardware and then took it out, but that didn't work either. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Media from USB ports you have to eject (right click on the device in My Computer) - not 'safely remove'. On some machines (not all), it will cut the power to the port if you 'safely remove'. That can be fixed though with a reboot.

I've tried rebooting, shutting it down and it is still there. Do I put the media back in the port and then reboot or what. I understand for the future what to do, but how do I get rid of it doing it now when there isn't even anything in there.

Is this one particular device? Is there a driver for it? Does it have inserted media and does it make a difference if something is inserted?

While the device is inserted, have you checked the device manager to see if any warnings are shown?

It is any device put it any of my 4 usb ports. I don't know if there is a driver or not. When I look under device manager there is one in there that says "unknown device". It does not make a difference if the media card is in there or not.
It still says unknown device with the device inserted. Is this something that we can just get rid of the error message from popping up, because the usb port works.

If your USB drivers are working correctly, when you plug a device in, Windows will normally go find a driver or give you a message about how the driver could not be found/installed.

I would trying using Device Manager to remove the device (it needs to be plugged in). Then Windows should find it again and you can start over. I will have to assume the errant device is not shown in device manager if the USB device is unplugged?

You might get us a picture of your device manager with the errant device showing and expand your USB section so we can see it. Use the snipping tool and attach using the paperclip on the advanced reply.

It is any device put it any of my 4 usb ports. I don't know if there is a driver or not. When I look under device manager there is one in there that says "unknown device". It does not make a difference if the media card is in there or not.
It still says unknown device with the device inserted. Is this something that we can just get rid of the error message from popping up, because the usb port works.
I know from your previous posts that you have recently performed a fresh install of Windows 7 and I am wondering if you have caught up with all dri ver updates from your system manufacturer's website (especially regarding chipset, video, audio, LAN and perhaps even USB if applicable).
If you can take some time and fill out information regarding your system specs in your forum profile we may be able to help more. http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...you-filling-your-system-specs.html#post235529
Additionally regarding specifics for the "unknown device" in device manager, can you right click it and choose properties and then select the Details tab, use the drop down arrow to change Device description to Hardware Ids, then in the value box right click and choose select all, then right click the items that should now be blue (selected) and choose copy. Paste that information into a new notepad doc and attach it to your next post. We may be able to get an idea as to what you should be looking for in terms of a driver for that particular problem device.
Regards
Randy

If your USB drivers are working correctly, when you plug a device in, Windows will normally go find a driver or give you a message about how the driver could not be found/installed.

I would trying using Device Manager to remove the device (it needs to be plugged in). Then Windows should find it again and you can start over. I will have to assume the errant device is not shown in device manager if the USB device is unplugged?

You might get us a picture of your device manager with the errant device showing and expand your USB section so we can see it. Use the snipping tool and attach using the paperclip on the advanced reply.

Here is the picture of my usb's. There are two more at the bottom that I coldn't get in the picture usb ports.PNG

Ok, you are a little above my head here, but I think I got it by using speccy or whatever. But it said it was saved to the clipboard. I typed in clipboard, think it was the right place, but couldn't find my specs in there. I might as well tell you and everyone else on this forum that I am NOT computer saavy. I don't know technical terms or where things are.

USB\UNKNOWN
That is all it said when I went to the device manager.
I had a fresh install of windows over a year ago I believe. I tech came in and did it.

USB\UNKNOWN
That is all it said when I went to the device manager.
I had a fresh install of windows over a year ago I believe. I tech came in and did it.
It would seem to me that perhaps you have more skills then you are giving yourself credit for. You obviously know how to open device manager and locate the "Unknown Device" since you just sent us an image of that. So if you are having trouble with the right click and select properties method, simply double click it and it will accomplish the same thing by opening the device properties dialog box.
From there simply select the "Details" tab from the tabs at the top of the dialog box.
From there simply use the drop down arrow to the right side of the "Property" item which defaults to "Device description" and select the second one which should be "Hardware Ids"
Now in the "Value" box just below that you will see a number if lines
Simply right click any one and chose "Select All"
Then right click any one again and choose "Copy"
That puts the information into the Windows Clipboard, but don't worry about that.
Now open notepad
click the start orb and type
notepad
and hit enter
from the menu bar select Edit-> paste
Save it to your desktop and name it DeviceIds.txt
Attach it to your next post.
Regarding the fresh install;
Four days ago you posted this on this forum http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/75234-banned-another-forum-2.html#post250566
I took you at your word and assumed that you were in fact either working on or had recently completed a "clean install" of Windows, as you stated.

Sometimes, the USB ports can be reset for them to work properly. This trick doesn't work all of the time, but it has for me a few times.

Open Device Manager, with the problematic device attached. That will identify the USB port in question. Remove the connected device (through Safe Removal), then uninstall the USB port driver. Reboot to force the USB driver to install. Then try to use the device again.

Sometimes, when updating the display driver, it installs other drivers, such as USB controllers (AMD is bad for this). I caught onto this when I updated my display driver, then opened one of my VM's, and had no access to USB devices. For this reason, whenever I install anything associated with AMD/ATI display/catalyst drivers, I select "Custom" for the install. I then uncheck anything that says USB drivers, and I don't have the problem.

Best of Luck,
Cat

It seems all devices do not require a "Safe Removal". You might check the device properties as shown in the attachment.

I am using a SanDisk Memory card reader and it works fine, unless I have media in it and do a Safe Removal for the memory card. The device will show with a yellow triangle and any media being inserted will not be recognized.

I have to remove the device or remove it from Device Manager.

There is also an entry for the device under Disk Drives, which does give a Removal Policy in its properties.

The fact you have a USB printer, which probably has memory card readers, might be involved.

Attachments

• SanDisk.GIF
    SanDisk.GIF
    34.6 KB · Views: 419
  • SanDisk2.GIF
    SanDisk2.GIF
    13.1 KB · Views: 357
  • SanDisk3.GIF
    SanDisk3.GIF
    18 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
It would seem to me that perhaps you have more skills then you are giving yourself credit for. You obviously know how to open device manager and locate the "Unknown Device" since you just sent us an image of that. So if you are having trouble with the right click and select properties method, simply double click it and it will accomplish the same thing by opening the device properties dialog box.
From there simply select the "Details" tab from the tabs at the top of the dialog box.
From there simply use the drop down arrow to the right side of the "Property" item which defaults to "Device description" and select the second one which should be "Hardware Ids"
Now in the "Value" box just below that you will see a number if lines
Simply right click any one and chose "Select All"
Then right click any one again and choose "Copy"
That puts the information into the Windows Clipboard, but don't worry about that.
Now open notepad
click the start orb and type
notepad
and hit enter
from the menu bar select Edit-> paste
Save it to your desktop and name it DeviceIds.txt
Attach it to your next post.
Regarding the fresh install;
Four days ago you posted this on this forum http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/75234-banned-another-forum-2.html#post250566
I took you at your word and assumed that you were in fact either working on or had recently completed a "clean install" of Windows, as you stated.

I knew how to do device manager because I have done it so many times. As I said in my previous post, there was only 1 line and it said "USB unknown". Is there something different I need to do to get more info?
Re my post on the fresh install....We had done a repair install several months back and that didn't work. Since I am not real knowledgeable in the computer stuff I was really hesitant about doing a clean install. They kept talking me into it and then said, ok, we will totally talk you thru it in layman's terms. Then they were going to take over my computer and put the stuff where it belonged. We got as far as backing up the information, then they went into my registry and did stuff and then the computer started acting weird. It wouldn't even stay on the same page I was working on, it was horrible and then I got banned. They had me make a repair disk I think they called it. After I was banned, I didn't know what to do, I was frantic, so I did a restore point from about a week prior and got the computer to the point where I could t least use it. I wasn't lying to you, we were working on doing a clean install.

It seems all devices do not require a "Safe Removal". You might check the device properties as shown in the attachment.

I am using a SanDisk Memory card reader and it works fine, unless I have media in it and do a Safe Removal for the memory card. The device will show with a yellow triangle and any media being inserted will not be recognized.

I have to remove the device or remove it from Device Manager.

There is also an entry for the device under Disk Drives, which does give a Removal Policy in its properties.

The fact you have a USB printer, which probably has memory card readers, might be involved.

I had that same reader on win7 64bit and it was more trouble than it was worth. I finally went and got a multicard reader and solved my problems. Just a suggestion these muli card readers and very inexpensive and beat fooling around with the problems.

Hi Patti,

See if cleaning up your USB devices helps you with your problem: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Also, my computer is still slow, that little circle goes around and around. I don't know where you want me to post that and start from the beginning to speed it up. I can't tell you everything the other forum told me to do, don't remember

Hi Patti,

See if cleaning up your USB devices helps you with your problem: Link Removed - Invalid URL

I have no other USB ports in use, is that common. I don't think my mouse or keyboard is usb.
Also, how do I get my specs over to this forum?

Back